Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 06:52 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joints

OK I am thinking that my sway bar bushings are bad and causing my clunking sound when going oer bumps with the wheels turned. I know I need lower front control arm bushings. My question is how do I test my ball joints. I don't mind doing the bushings Daizen is fine as I am not doing the uppers, only the lowers. But I don't want to replace em and realise my ball joints are screwed so I would rather just put Supra control arms in there.
I guess I just need to know how to check my ball joints.
Thanks guys. I can't read any more search results everyone has varying opinions about what to do so I guess i just need to know how to check em first.
Old 02-24-04, 08:12 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in almost the same situation as you are.

I can't help you with your question about balljoints, but can share my opinion based on what I've read here as you have. If you need lower control arms, why not just stick with the factory bushings? The Daizen bushings, while nice for handling and steering, seem to have too harsh of a ride quality, based upon the opinions of others.

I'm going for the lower and upper Supra control arms, along with Vlamos steering rack bushings (highly recommended while you're changing out your control arms). For me, that's knocking out two birds with one stone - replacing the bushings and possibly worn ball joints (I actually think mine are fine).

Again, sorry I can't provide any information on your main reason for posting: finding how to test the ball joints.

However, please post here and let us all know what you decide to do. Oddly enough, after searching this topic many times, I can't seem to find one person who has Supra control arms (upper or lower) on their SC300/400.

-Brian.
Old 02-24-04, 10:53 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Well I wouldn't mind doing the daizen lower bushings to improve handling, apparently most of the jarring and road noise come from the uppers which I would leave stock. I am pretty sure my knocking is my sway bar bushings. I would do this no probs but my car has 213ooo miles on it , I would hate to replace with thedaizen lower bushings only to find out my ball joints are bad. Money is what is pushing me to the Daizens. Vlamos are more expensive plus I was going comprimise like I said and doing lowers only.
I really need something though because my alignment is screwed and I am shredding the inside edge of my front right tire ata great rate.
I would love to go
1) Supra lower control arms
2) Daizen sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings
3)Supra TT Tokico Illumina shock and spring setup
4) Daizen camber kit

I guess that would take care of it all, the front at least

Anyway what would bad ball joints cause to happen on my car, sounds, alignment probs, hard ride, what exactly

Like Moogie boogie said the searches turn up soooo much info but no real concrete answers ands with all the sweet looking dropped SC's I know there are some suspension gurus here.

Thanks a million guys
Old 02-25-04, 03:42 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Here's the Lexus way of checking it:

larger photo: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...4912150022.jpg

Or you can search for buttercup in the main gallery section for the whole control arm removal instructions, I also have some more pictures stored elsewhere.
Old 02-25-04, 04:15 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The method most use to check for worn balljoints is to squeeze them,top to bottom, with a pair of Channel Lock type pliers and look for any movement.If you can detect any movement, they're toast.
Old 02-25-04, 07:07 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the pics and finally some real help.
One last thing, If I replace all my bushings, well lower control arm with daizens, will my alignment still be off if my ball joints are bad ? I am guessing yes. If not then what danger is there to leave the worn ball joints on there for a few months ?? Will I still be eating the inside edge of my right tire like I am now ?
Old 02-26-04, 03:53 PM
SCV8
Instructor

To replace the balljoints requires new control arms, so you might want to aply those funds to some new parts and just swap them in as an assembly.
The Supra ones are much easier on the wallet than those from Lexus dealers, fit the same as what came originally.
Old 03-02-04, 10:17 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by HotBoy
Thanks guys for the pics and finally some real help.
One last thing, If I replace all my bushings, well lower control arm with daizens, will my alignment still be off if my ball joints are bad ? I am guessing yes. If not then what danger is there to leave the worn ball joints on there for a few months ?? Will I still be eating the inside edge of my right tire like I am now ?
Every time you do a suspension change or notice uneven wear you may need an alignment. This includes changing tires. In fact if you don't get a realignment when your tires are starting to get worn or when you rotate tires, then you might see the tires wear away lightning quick. I see numerous complaints online of people claiming that once they had a little wear the tires went quick. Duh! Hehe.

Most people who DIY their Control Arm bushings will damage their ball joints unless they have the proper tools. I have even seen some of the ball bearings on the floor after install. Eventually the grease will squeeze out and friction will play its part. You can get a new ball joint pressed in but good luck finding someone to do it other than yourself. Every time I raise my car I try and shoot some grease around the ball joints since mine were slightly damaged on install. Although probably useless I am hoping that this will help slow the deterioration of the joint. If you do the DIY then go to your local hardware store and borrow or rent the right tool.
Old 03-02-04, 10:29 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

That tool is a ball joint puller, aka pitman arm puller:

I bought this at NAPA (National Automotive Parts Association). http://www.napaonline.com
I would have to thank jzz30 for giving me this info over at LOC, "the gap between the two fingers needs to be 1and 3/8 inch gap or 35mm(3.5cm)".
Old 03-03-04, 11:10 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

thanks again guys for the help. The only thing I am still unclear of is what kind of damage would a bad ball joint cause ? I am probably just putting in supra LCA's because the car has 213000 miles on it but so far most things that I have replaced on the car have looked pretty good, I will take a look at my service history again but I don't recall seeing Control arms on there.
Old 03-06-04, 03:33 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

bump...
anyone know what a damaged ball joint would cause ???
Old 03-06-04, 05:26 PM
grego2
Driver

You would get a clunking noise when hitting bumps. The wear on the tires would minimal if you had worn lower ball joints. It is mostly noise.
Old 03-07-04, 05:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I am having to replace my ball joint due to a shimmy in the corners at speeds above 50 mph. it had gotten so bad the car would shake in the corners from the high bite race tires i have on grabbing the pavement in the corners and fighting the play in the lower balljoints. almost bad enough to throw the car. i raised the wheel and grabbed it and sure enough i had movement in the entire wheel.
Old 03-07-04, 06:16 PM
grego2
Driver

OLT, when you grabbed your tire , did you grab the top and bottom or the sides?
Old 03-09-04, 02:13 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

yeah I get that clunk whenI hit bmps but only if my wheels are turned, if I hit em straight on I get nothing. I was thinking about my sway bar bushings because around hard curves I will get a light clunk and then again when I go back the other way.
I have 213k miles on it so I am planning on replacing my LCA's, steering and sway bushes struts and springs, that should clear me up I hope !!!!

Quick Reply: Ball joints