Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Suspension are good for GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahah it's cool KVA.

i would take coilover over springs/shocks any day. performance of coilover is just so much better than springs/shocks, and you can still have all the adjustment you want. you might be able to get springs/shocks to perform well, but you will have to go through a lot of study and testing. coilovers are springs/shocks designed together, so they engineered to work well with each other.

i had springs on my old acura, it looked ok, but man, i got coilvoers on my gs4 and i made a promise to myself on that ever since

and if you ask me which coilover to get, i would really suggest the CS. maybe i am getting old, i want ride comfort with decent handling. the CS is very soft and it's perfect. don't get me wrong, soft does NOT mean more roll and stuff. the handling of the CS isn't much worse than say the HA or flex. on street driving you don't usually push the car that hard anyway
Old 03-10-04, 09:14 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Running 20s'.......Will CS drop the car low enough to tuck the tires into the wheelwells? I look up Tein's site and I don't think CS can go that low. Also, why is the ride quality such a big difference between CS & FLEX? CS has the spring rate 9K/250mm & 8K/300mm. FLEX has the spring rate 10K/200mm & 9K/250mm.......am I wrong?
FLEX has that upper pillow thing.......what's that for?
Old 03-10-04, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Running 20s'.......Will CS drop the car low enough to tuck the tires into the wheelwells? I look up Tein's site and I don't think CS can go that low. Also, why is the ride quality such a big difference between CS & FLEX? CS has the spring rate 9K/250mm & 8K/300mm. FLEX has the spring rate 10K/200mm & 9K/250mm.......am I wrong?
FLEX has that upper pillow thing.......what's that for?
a lot of questions, but here are the answers for you (and just for you, haha)

1) you WILL be able to tuck the wheels. i have 20s as you know, and i am down to 1/2 finger front and 0 finger back. i can still go lower. that's hint #1. also, search for pics of LXOGOOD car, he has 19s and his car is SUPER low (i mean it). imagine changing his wheels to 20s, it would be tucked for sure, hint #2

2) good observation on the spring rate. it's not only about the spring rate, but also about teh shocks. i would say the flex has some stiffer shocks than the CS. the spring rates are very close, but i can feel that the ride is sooo different. neo can probably confirm this too

3) flex has the metal pillow mount, where as the CS has the hard rubber pillow mount. that's the upper part of the springs/shocks system when you take them out of the car. on the HA you use the stock one, which is just normal rubber. you want that coz' otherwise the ride would be very stiff. flex and cs are direct replacement systems so you don't need to disassemble the s/s system. the metal pillow mount on the flex helps the handling of the car but it also makes some noise people say. the CS has hard rubber so it's quieter

i didn't notice the noise of the flex before ,but after i got my CS now i know what people referred to as the noise on the flex. it's normal, it's just the design
Old 03-11-04, 09:24 AM
B_Cruz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am doing a SUSPENSION and BRAKE set up for my 00 GS300 but i don't know which is the best to go with. Some thing not to stiff, i prefer something like stock. Which one of the following you guys prefer to have on? Please help. Thanks
WOW I am surprised no one has chimed in about the A'PEXi World Sport Coilovers. I had them on my car and my passengers have a hard time believing that my suspension has been modded. It rides just like stock with out the floaty feeling. The spring rates are 8K front and 6K rear and it is height adjustable. IMO dampening adjustment is just overkill on a street car unless of course you see track time at a REAL race track with left and right hand turns.

A'PEXi
Old 03-11-04, 09:27 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by B_Cruz
WOW I am surprised no one has chimed in about the A'PEXi World Sport Coilovers. I had them on my car and my passengers have a hard time believing that my suspension has been modded. It rides just like stock with out the floaty feeling. The spring rates are 8K front and 6K rear and it is height adjustable. IMO dampening adjustment is just overkill on a street car unless of course you see track time at a REAL race track with left and right hand turns.

A'PEXi
Expound on these Coilovers, please.
Old 03-11-04, 09:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
2) good observation on the spring rate. it's not only about the spring rate, but also about teh shocks. i would say the flex has some stiffer shocks than the CS. the spring rates are very close, but i can feel that the ride is sooo different. neo can probably confirm this too
Rominl is right. The differences are the shocks and the metal pillow mount. Handling differences aside, I would not necessarily say that the ride with the Flex is bad, just different. The only way I can describe is to say the CS are smoother. I was fine with the ride but it did not meet the WAF. CS is a better compromise, although there are times I miss the Flex handling characteristics.
Old 03-11-04, 09:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by B_Cruz

A'PEXi
No knocks on the A'PEXi system. Members with it seem pretty happy. I disagree on dampening adjustments being overkill. I find it pretty useful with a caveat: EDFC. Before I got the EDFC, it was a pain to have to readjust all four corners (especially the rear) each time I wanted to change the settings but I did do it.

With EDFC, the changes are at a touch of a button. I use it pretty frequently, not everyday but almost everytime I drive.

Now this depends on each individual and how much control each wants to mess with while driving. Even the Tein manual has a disclaimer on not using EDFC while driving since it may cause accidents, but then again, they have disclaimers/warnings about not using coilovers on street cars too. I can change my presets by feel so I don't even have to take my eyes off the road.

It boils down to if you want a set-it-and-forget-it system, one of the Tein advantages (EDFC) goes away. Then you need to compare based on the unit's engineering, specs, company history, users' feedback, and pricing. If you want an electronically dampening adjustable system, Tein is the only game in town.

Last edited by Neo; 03-11-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 01:23 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point Neo...the EDFC really does help alleviate the mess of having to adjust damper manually...and it's a cool little gadget to add to the stable.

The Apexi N1 WS Damper coilovers are very nice...I would say they are comparable to the Tein CS in the comfortable ride category...and handle real well.