Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein FLEX and Daizen Sways 2-week impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 10:48 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein FLEX and Daizen Sways 2-week impressions

Hey all

I know that some of you are wondering about how the Tein flex coilovers and Daizen sways work out on an SC, so I figured I would give you my impressions after driving on the for about 2 weeks now,

Both the coilovers and the sways are absolutly wonderful. if you have the money, GET THEM!!! The ride quality of the Flex's is actually much better than the stock suspension if you have it adjusted to 12 clicks from stiffest in front and 8 from stiffest in back. Even with the car lowered about 2.5" over 18's I don't have any rubbing issues and there were zero downsides to the whole setup.

The sways themselves are quite easy to install, but it is a beeotch to get all of the plastic undercladding off of and back onto the car so you can R&R the sways. Total install time for the sways and coilovers combined was right at 4 hours. The swaybars make a huge difference in the way the car handles in the twisties. My wife and I just took a 400 mile round trip back home and went on some nice twisty roads on the way down there. Although the flex sustem has a 14/8 spring rate setup, that rate is too low to make all of the difference between the stock body roll and the virtual lack of roll it has now. With the rear bar set to full stiff, you are actually able to get a nice amount of throttle-lift oversteer that completely changes the handling attitude of the car.

Overall, it is super fantastic, I would recommend the Daizen sways and Tein FLEX coilovers to anyone who is looking for a suspension setup that is both comfortable AND able to handle the twisty roads well.
Old 03-01-04, 04:38 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

That's a good review of the flex but can you tell if the difference was because of the flex or the sways? Meaning, which contributed more to the body roll elimination?
Old 03-01-04, 09:11 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

the sways definitely caused the lack of body roll. The flex springs are not nearly stiff enough to make as much difference as was made. We are talking virtually zero body roll here

Last edited by 240_Keyy; 03-01-04 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 03:21 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

so the sways are adjustables?
Old 03-02-04, 09:44 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

yes the rear is adjustable, the front is fixed...
Old 03-02-04, 09:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool info. I have had the Flex on by itself and I love the handling. I keep the ride 10 clicks from soft and I get rubbing if I hit an imperfection in the road with a 1" drop and 18x8 rims. I ordered the sways a few days ago and they will be installed soon. I am also hoping for zero body roll. Pure speed is fun but handling is most important. What good is a fast car if you have to slam the brakes to slow down granny style for a turn coming up?

Have you tried the stiffness all the way up on both the suspension and the sways?
Old 03-04-04, 09:55 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

yes, actually I have tried it on full stiff on both the sways and the flex's.

The ride is very nice even on full stiff (nothing like the Tein HE's on my 240) and handling is absolutly magnificient However, it tends to be a bit oversteer-happy if you have it set up like that, and we even have 275's out on the back of ours
Old 03-04-04, 11:35 AM
CrazeeSC
Rookie

Im so jealous this is my next mod, gotta save the dough faster!!!
Old 03-04-04, 01:44 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 240_Keyy
yes, actually I have tried it on full stiff on both the sways and the flex's.

The ride is very nice even on full stiff (nothing like the Tein HE's on my 240) and handling is absolutly magnificient However, it tends to be a bit oversteer-happy if you have it set up like that, and we even have 275's out on the back of ours
Can you post some pics of how your car looks droped 2.5 inches?