Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Gotta a Problem (got coilovers, wife thinks too stiff)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 03:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilsteins don't really get much softer but they do "mellow" out somewhat. That may be good news but the bad news is because they are built so precise, don't be surprised if it takes 10K miles plus to get a bit less harsh. That's more time then most people here leave any mod on their car.

Only other thing to do is to look at the tires. Don't worry too much about playing mine is harder then yours, start backing the pressure down. The GS can very quickly get that wonderful buckboard ride with certain combos. Lexus always used to set both mine and my wife's tires to 35psi when it was in for service but they now set to 32 on the service paperwork, I don't think this happened coincidentally. The next day when the tires are cool, I usually let down from there. My GS4 is a bit more tolerant but my wife's GS3 is pretty sensitive to tire pressure. Both on stock 16s.
Old 03-02-04, 04:20 PM
mo98gs4
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Just out of curiosity what wheels / tires do you have on your GS? A fat tire setup might help a bit?
Stock 17" with Pilot Sport A/S. I've thought about 18" wheels since the stock ones never looked quite right, but I figured I could improve the cornering a bit first. I thought the lower profile, wider wheels would pickup every road imperfection?
Old 03-02-04, 04:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Lower profile gets you a stiffer side wall. It may or may not be what you are after but it won't ride softer.
Old 03-02-04, 05:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

mo, you can't really make the Bilstein coilovers softer riding except somewhat by switching to a taller sidewall tire or rim/tire combo. I'm sure you don't want to go to a 16" rim but you could go to a next taller series 17" tire (the stock 17 tires are actually smaller in diameter than the 16s anyway!).

The other alternative is to switch to another type of coilover - the Tein CS is a popular one for a more comfortable ride. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling the Bilstein PSS ones for a good price. The only rub is that you will eat the install/uninstall.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-02-04 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 07:59 PM
mo98gs4
Driver School Candidate

To me its amazing that the only mod a made was the PSS and the car handles completely different. From reading more threads, I'm hoping a different set of coilovers and sways, stb, etc. will give me good handling with a more compliant ride.

Bit - You raved about your car running circles around a 540 sport and thats what I want. Was that with l-tuned or tein and how compliant was the ride compared to stock? I'll admit that I'm now a little gun shy from the coilovers, since I really didn't the stiffest ones out there. I thought I was going middle of the road.
Old 03-02-04, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mo98gs4
Bit - You raved about your car running circles around a 540 sport and thats what I want. Was that with l-tuned or tein and how compliant was the ride compared to stock?
That was with L-Tuned springs/shocks and the TRD racing sway bars and some other braces but the springs/shocks and sways made a HUGE difference over stock. I can say the L-Tuned springs/shocks alone are comfortable, your wife would approve. The TRD racing sways are STIFF (but all but eliminated body roll) and your wife probably wouldn't approve. You can get the Daizen sways which are more comfortable.

The Bilstein PSS have stiff springs up front which is probably what your wife is objecting to, but yeah, that's what make them handle so well.

I'll admit that I'm now a little gun shy from the coilovers, since I really didn't the stiffest ones out there. I thought I was going middle of the road.
Sounds like a great compromise for you would be Tein CS and Daizen sways.
Old 03-03-04, 07:37 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Well...it sounds like no coilover setup may do it for you since from what I have read I dont think the PSS is that stiff. I just purchased the L-tuned setup (springs and shocks) and I have worries that it may not be what I want thats why they are not installed yet. I actually need to get with Dave and take a ride in his car.

On a side note,,,,my ride with Bit in the ATL was very impressive but he does have a 400 while my car is a 300.
Old 03-03-04, 09:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Letsride
Well...it sounds like no coilover setup may do it for you since from what I have read I dont think the PSS is that stiff. I just purchased the L-tuned setup (springs and shocks) and I have worries that it may not be what I want thats why they are not installed yet. I actually need to get with Dave and take a ride in his car.

On a side note,,,,my ride with Bit in the ATL was very impressive but he does have a 400 while my car is a 300.
well from what pearlpower said, the tein flex is softer than the pss. if that's the case, i suggest the tein cs, which is very soft (i love it)
Old 03-04-04, 09:58 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
well from what pearlpower said, the tein flex is softer than the pss. if that's the case, i suggest the tein cs, which is very soft (i love it)
I concur-the Tein CS and Daizen sways are an excellent compromise for those looking for improved handling (and lowering) while still maintaining a nice ride. However, this sort of thing is so subjective that the best way-if possible-to find out what you like is to ride in some cars with different setups. I didn't have a chance to do that, but ended up with just what I was looking for anyway
Old 03-05-04, 07:39 PM
mo98gs4
Driver School Candidate

All,

Thanks for the advice! I got the okay to get the l-tuned and ordered those today. Couldn't convince the wife on spending the $ for the tein. I'm hoping l-tuned with daizen sways will give me good handling but not too stiff a ride.

The l-tuned should be in next week. Thanks all!
Old 03-06-04, 05:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You will be very pleased. It will be a huge improvement and still comfortable.
Old 03-06-04, 11:57 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Good choice!

You'll get the ride and look you want and keep the wife happy too!
Old 03-07-04, 02:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by mo98gs4
All,

Thanks for the advice! I got the okay to get the l-tuned and ordered those today. Couldn't convince the wife on spending the $ for the tein. I'm hoping l-tuned with daizen sways will give me good handling but not too stiff a ride.

The l-tuned should be in next week. Thanks all!
yeah it will still be a very good combo man