Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just finished replacing struts (problem)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 04:05 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished replacing struts (problem)

Hi ther everyone...

After ALOT of work and trouble, Me and a few friends succesfully installed all 4 tokico Blue struts on my lexus. The rears went easy... The left front was a major problem, bolts were rusted and frozen, we had to remove alot to get into it, to get the strut out we actually had to remove the lower mounting bracket from the lower control arm... these bolts were frozen and needed to be heated with a torch.

The other side front went easy...

The way home was good, the new struts are smooth and handle fairly well, better than stock.

The left front had alot of problems, it made "klunks" "clicks" and rattles all the way home, over every bump and road imperfection.

Im having the wheels aligned by sears auto tommorow... I'll have them look it over but does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Someone already said most likely its the sway bar... but im not sure.
Old 03-06-04, 04:33 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

of course with the obvious, are you sure that you tightened the top bolt (on the pillow ball mount) lol- That is a hard one to forget but could allow some play.

did you unbolt the front sway bar enlinks while working upthere? make sure that its tight, it could be "clanking" on bumps if it were loose.

If I were you I would get the alignment and see if the noise stays around- If it does I would go under the car and make sure that all bolts in the area are tight. If the sound sticks around, I would take it to a shop and have them take a look.

Sorry Im not much help- I know that my springs did squeek a tad as they settled right after the install, but you stayed with stock springs I presume... good luck
Old 03-06-04, 07:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

since this is a suspension question, i'm puting it in the suspension forum.
Old 03-07-04, 01:15 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem found

I was correct. Sears performaed a 4 wheel alignment and everything went well. The rear driver's wheel is off by one one-hundreth of a degree, and everything else is fine.

The clunking noise is a sway bar linkage, which they are going to replace. It is sears auto, so they dont have the part in stock but they said theyre going to look and give me a call when they find one. They had no idea on the pricing.

Any idea what I'll be paying? I dont think it'll be nessesary to replace the whole sway bar btw.

Tokico blue struts are a winner. Smooth, and handle wonderfully.