Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed TEIN HA + EDFC on my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04 | 04:33 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
So does it rub?

Just installed my CS and one of my front rim rubs when I make a sharp turn...I have one finger gap in the front wheels, I want to drop it with no finger gap...Maybe I'll do it tomorrow and see what happens...

yeah man, like I said in the first post "its like I'm riding around with a librarian in the back seat, since I hear "SHH, SHH" over large bumps or humps" LOL I think in my case it has more to do with my relatively low offset and the square design of the sidewall on the Nitto 555 tire. its just grazing the inner part of the fender lip. If traffic allows, I'm gonna go to the shop today.

As far as your car goes, be very careful with your lowering first off, you have a very slim tire design (T1-S) so you dont have much sidewall, if you lower it anymore, you run the chance of the tire hitting the top of the wheelwell, and on your drivers side, you have very important circuitry over your tire!!! Do a search for Manarays thread on 20s and the SC. You can mod you fenderwell and relocate the lines/harnesses to get a serious drop, but thats a big project.
Old 03-11-04 | 09:28 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

You can mod you fenderwell and relocate the lines/harnesses to get a serious drop, but thats a big project.
Argh....I"ll put it in my book as the next list of mods....My funds are depleted as of current...
Old 03-11-04 | 12:58 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up coilovers

your coilovers are the same stiffness as mine the jic magic flt2a.

i had them set in the middle of the range "8" front and "6" rear and thought the handling was amazing. well a couple of weeks ago i took it all the way up to 3/4 of max stiffness "12" out of max "15" with 2 clicks less in the rear. oh my god it was so much better.

i really don't mind how stiff it rides. the control is incredible. the edfc sounds like fun but i don't mind not having it.

congrats on the coilovers
3dog
Old 03-11-04 | 03:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

D - CONGRATS on the Tein HA's and EDFC. You mentioned me owing you money for the EDFC, but now it looks like you owe ME money because I convinced you to get it and you love it.

On a more serious note, I'm actually CONCERNED about your EDFC setup showing 0/0 as SOFTEST. This may mean the shop wired it up incorrectly somehow. You may be thinking this isn't a big deal but it might be because the system is supposed to self-calibrate at stiffest (0/0 on everyone else's) and if yours is still trying to self-calibrate at 0/0 (regardless of the fact that that's the softest setting on your car) it may be self-calibrating in the wrong direction. I'd definitely try to find answers on this.

Again, congrats, and I'm very happy you like the setup! I loved my TRD sway setup until I learned 10 months later after lots of AGGRAVATION that the front one was installed upside down! Much better since that day...
Old 03-11-04 | 07:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Thanks bit, i went in to have my suspension adjusted (was making a faint clunking noise in the rear) and raise it slightly. I asked the guy who installed it, and when started explaining i was lost within the first 3 lines, I can say that he is a very knowlegeable tech (he was rewiring a car for a engine swap while i was there!!!) he mentioned the allen key, then 2 turns, then the dampening unit, then 2 turns, etc etc. The good thing is, if there is ever any issue, i got it installed at a Tein dealer (they are even on the Tein website) so I can go directly back to them!!

UPDATE- I raised the car to about a one finger gap in the front, and its right at the tip of the tire in the rear, and BOY is the ride alot better! it feels like a new suspension or something! boy what a few threads on the coils can do! it doesnt look as sexy, but I just got home 45min ago so I'll give it a few days to settle before I start tinkering!
Old 03-11-04 | 08:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Thanks bit, i went in to have my suspension adjusted (was making a faint clunking noise in the rear) and raise it slightly. I asked the guy who installed it, and when started explaining i was lost within the first 3 lines, I can say that he is a very knowlegeable tech (he was rewiring a car for a engine swap while i was there!!!) he mentioned the allen key, then 2 turns, then the dampening unit, then 2 turns, etc etc. The good thing is, if there is ever any issue, i got it installed at a Tein dealer (they are even on the Tein website) so I can go directly back to them!!

UPDATE- I raised the car to about a one finger gap in the front, and its right at the tip of the tire in the rear, and BOY is the ride alot better! it feels like a new suspension or something! boy what a few threads on the coils can do! it doesnt look as sexy, but I just got home 45min ago so I'll give it a few days to settle before I start tinkering!
haha you already have more room in the front than i do, that's too high
Old 03-12-04 | 01:25 AM
Neo
The One

I asked the guy who installed it, and when started explaining i was lost within the first 3 lines, I can say that he is a very knowlegeable tech (he was rewiring a car for a engine swap while i was there!!!) he mentioned the allen key, then 2 turns, then the dampening unit, then 2 turns, etc etc.
Man, is that some "secret handshake" that only Tein dealers know about? Sounds a little fishy but even giving him the benefit of the doubt, why do that? Why not leave it the default way (like everyone else) but instead do some extra work to make it non-standard? As long as it works I guess ...
Old 03-12-04 | 04:01 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rominl
haha you already have more room in the front than i do, that's too high
To be totally honest, i had it too low, for some reason it doesnt look like it with the aero, but with the factory you can see it. both of my tires where actually IN the fender (no finger at all, even at a angle!!!LOL) it was rubbing on any small change in the pavement!! LOL thats why my Tein pics are at full stiff!!

Those pics are the night I got home, so they settled even lower than in those pics!!!
Old 03-12-04 | 05:42 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

D I can't wait to see it, it was too low beofre so now it should be perfecto
Old 03-12-04 | 08:24 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Argh....I"ll put it in my book as the next list of mods....My funds are depleted as of current...
Hey man lemmeknow when u wanna start, I still have the emails from Manaray, when I was SC shopping, I got some detailed info from him about the ins and outs of getting the drop that he had in that Bvlgari pic!!

Ride Height change
To be totally honest, I thought it looked perfect at that height, the car just looked long and sleek, it still looks nice, but now ur eye travels from top to bottom more than it did before. If I had set it to this height initially I would probably love it, but since I have seen the potential, I really want to go back down!! When I got back in the car, it felt like it was back at stock height again!!! LOL
Old 03-12-04 | 08:44 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default thanks for the write up.

D, is the edfc worth the money or is it more eye candy?You know for gadget freaks. Like myself..
Old 03-12-04 | 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I asked the guy who installed it, and when started explaining i was lost within the first 3 lines, I can say that he is a very knowlegeable tech (he was rewiring a car for a engine swap while i was there!!!) he mentioned the allen key, then 2 turns, then the dampening unit, then 2 turns, etc etc. The good thing is, if there is ever any issue, i got it installed at a Tein dealer (they are even on the Tein website) so I can go directly back to them!!
I would not accept his technobabble answer. Ask him this simple question: "Why do all my friends who have EDFC have 0/0 as the firmest setting yet on mine it's 0/0 for the softest setting?" If he starts to lose you, don't let him, ask again "why is mine different?" or "why wouldn't my install be like everyone else's?" Plus "the instructions all talk about 0/0 as the firmest setting and explain that it calibrates off that assumption."

Dude, it's your car, but I'd want to know - this is a serious piece of equipment you've had installed.
Old 03-12-04 | 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i agree with paul here, unless he did some EXTREME difficult electronic work, i don't see how he can make 0/0 to be softest instead of hardest. if all he did was take out the original nut and replace it with the edfc motor, 0/0 will be stiffest. still very straight

and D, i know all about the rubbing part. the reason isn't your offset, it's coz' we have 20s. your offset (38) is very conservative and it's not rubbing the outside of the fender. you are running the TOP of the fender. if you want, spray paint the wheel well white, drive around, and you will see where.

you can talk to rmmg4 about what to mod to take out the rubbing. synergy has it done, and he's very happy. i didn't do it though, i will just let it rub its way, not a problem for me
Old 03-12-04 | 12:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: thanks for the write up.

Originally posted by johnee78
D, is the edfc worth the money or is it more eye candy?You know for gadget freaks. Like myself..
I have to be honest man, i do not think I would like these coils without the EDFC. last night on the way home i had it at about the mid point and the ride was very comfy (highway driving) it felt like a Lexus again. but when the time came to hit a few curves the car felt kinda soft, now imagine if I was not able to stiffen it up from the cockpit, I would have to just slow down or deal with the slightly mushy feeling!

I guess its all about the person, I like having control, thats why I got coilovers, I wanted to be able to make my car sit EXACTLY the way I wanted, i hated my S/S dictating my ride height on my 96!

I say go for it dude, you will love it!
Old 03-12-04 | 12:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Bit / Rom- I will get in contact with the shop, by one concern is long term service (ie, if a problem arises will they be held responsible) etc. I have to admit this shop is honest and does good work, but I will still clarify/confirm that with him!

Thanks you guys for all the input.

BTW- Rom, i think mine rubs on the outer portion too because it grabbed that platic fender liner (the one on the edge) one day, I just bent it back in place. You are not scared to damage the fender or the tire constantly rubbing? My car sits in the driveway all day, i only drive it to the carwash and back during the week, but I take road trips to NY on weekends, thats why I raised it last night. I was scared to be on the highway, hit a big dip and the front wheels ****** that fender tab!!

Quick Reply: Installed TEIN HA + EDFC on my GS400