Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra tt front brake upgrade with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 03:20 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I dont have any idea how you fit the supra calipers on there with the stock 15" wheels... I was informed that the minimum wheel size required for this was 17", but did you keep the stock rotor size?

By the way, the supra logo looks absolutely awesome and if I were to get supra brakes put on (all 4 corners) then having the supra logo on my car would account for at least 1/2 the reason of doing it!
Those are Supra MKIV chrome wheels. TGRich's going for the SC to Supra conversion
Old 03-17-04, 03:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like I'm totally outvoted on the Supra thing. No big. For me, it is one thing to keep a brake manufaturer name (like AP, Brembo, ...), it is another to keep another car's name on it. This example is extreme I know , but I would not buy Porsche brakes to put onto my Lex, retrofit it, and keep the Porsche name on it.

In any case, this discussion is just academic since TGRich obviously likes the Supra and kept it. It is his car and he gets to mod it how he likes.
Old 03-17-04, 03:59 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Lookin good! Did you bleed the lines yourself?

I like having the Supra word on the calipers also, gives the car a nice look to it. Makes people confused whether you have a Supra or a SC, I've had many people just stare at the brakes with a puzzled look on their face.

Tony- No, I bled them with a friends help. I don't see how anyone could do it themselves unless they had a brick of really long arms I put some Valvoline synthetic dot4 fluid in there. I didn't have anything to pull the old fluid out, so I just bled them and bled them and bled them until I think I flushed most of the old stuff out.

Richard- thanks for the compliment

Sin- LOL on the conversion comment

I still don't know if I like the supra word or not. I didn't have time to paint the calipers b/c the calipers and pads were shot (stick piston). It is growing on me though. Part of me doesn't like it, but then part of me says ppl who know anything about these cars can really appreciate the tt brakes if they see that and are smart enough to recognize whats goin on
Old 03-17-04, 07:09 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great upgrade, congrats!, On the supra deal, at least is from the same house company, you are just upgrading to better brakes within the company, so it's kinda like incest better than using another car manufacturers brakes or something..
Old 03-18-04, 10:40 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Tim, looks good. I like the Supra on the caliper, I vote for leaving it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help the other nite, but now with your pics, your a big help to me. Pad spacers , it all makes sense now. Did you take a pic of how the spring goes on top? It looks pretty basic, but I'd like to see it if I can. Can you tell any improvement in stopping distances, fade resistance, etc? Talk to ya later!
Old 03-18-04, 03:31 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

im going to try the ls400 setup, them tt brakes are pricey!!!

good job
Old 03-18-04, 03:40 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I thought the LS brakes had rotor size differences. Tell us if it works.

Last edited by siniquezu; 03-18-04 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 03:51 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Additional info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...00+supra+brake
Old 03-18-04, 03:55 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Not to be a little more off topic but a supra with Porche brakes:

http://www.movit.de/htm/toyota.htm

Discussion about it:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Last edited by siniquezu; 03-18-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 06:44 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Glenn- I didn't take a pic of the the anti rattle spring, but looking at one of the pics on the planetsoarer writeup, you can figure it out. There are 4 ways to potentially put it on, but look at the pic and it will narrow it down to two right away. Look a little harder and you'll get it.

AndI haven't tested the breaks hard enough to tell any noticeable differences. I'm being really careful on the break in period. I can tell you though that they stop much better, they feel like these are the brakes that were meant to be on the car and the others are underpowered.
Old 03-18-04, 08:54 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Just for you Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Supra tt front brake upgrade with pics-image016.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 09:19 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks.....I had forgot about that pic on the aussie write up. Getting any brake squeal, or are they nice and quiet? Now I'm really looking forward to getting mine on. However, Carson has still not called be back about the parts. Guess I'll have to call them again this afternoon.
Old 03-19-04, 03:03 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

They don't sqeal at all, but I do hear the pad against rotor noise. It's kind of like a grinding/abrasive sound. It's not too loud, but when I'm driving with the radio off, on a side street with no traffic noise, and the windows down, I can hear it. I'm hoping it goes away as they get broken in.
Old 03-19-04, 03:04 PM
Pen
Rookie

You can bleed the brakes by yourself, just wrap a small square of gladwrap around the out-end of your bleed hose like a tube, and secure with a rubber band to make a pov valve. Then open the bleeder a bit, and pump away, shouldn't take very long at all.
Attached Thumbnails Supra tt front brake upgrade with pics-bleedvalve.jpg  

Last edited by Pen; 03-19-04 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 03:50 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Very nice. To bad those chromes is stealing the attention.
/Freddo

Quick Reply: Supra tt front brake upgrade with pics