Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 10:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinGS4
I totally love the sitting in a bowl of jello like feeling that comes with a stock suspension but I do want to keep the car from swaying and tilting in turns. Is it possible to have both?
Get Daizen sways on the stock shocks/springs and call it a day.
Old 11-23-05, 07:20 AM
AustinGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fell asleep last night

Originally Posted by Neo
Get Daizen sways on the stock shocks/springs and call it a day.
Thanks Neo,
I was adding to my post while rereading what rominl and varcity were saying about the Tein CS and I ended up shutting down my computer and lost all my additional comments because I was too sleepy to realize what I was doing. Anyway, the cushy stock feel that I have come to love is on the new loaner cars that I get to drive from the service dept. My car does not feel like the new ones at all. At 120,000 miles would replacing the shocks and adding the Daizen sways give me that feel I want and would the Tein CS give me the same or better plus the ability to lower an inch or two which is something that I really want to do after adding the 19's this week.
Thanks Neo and rominl. I always enjoy reading your comments.
Old 11-23-05, 10:53 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinGS4
Thanks Neo,
Anyway, the cushy stock feel that I have come to love is on the new loaner cars that I get to drive from the service dept. My car does not feel like the new ones at all. At 120,000 miles would replacing the shocks and adding the Daizen sways give me that feel I want and would the Tein CS give me the same or better plus the ability to lower an inch or two which is something that I really want to do after adding the 19's this week.
Thanks Neo and rominl. I always enjoy reading your comments.
If you want one upgrade, with the possibility of lowering, then just do the CS. See how you like the ride. The sways are great but for some, just the slightly stiffer springs on the CS is enough. With 120k miles, you might want to look into replacing the control arm bushings with the Daizen PU ones. The OEM rubber ones are probably in bad shape by now. You can replace with OEM but you'd have to get the whole arm since Lexus does not sell the bushings on its own.

You can alwyas add the sways after these if you want more body roll control.
Old 11-23-05, 03:02 PM
AustinGS4
Rookie

Talking Happy Thanksgiving Neo

Originally Posted by Neo
If you want one upgrade, with the possibility of lowering, then just do the CS. See how you like the ride. With 120k miles, you might want to look into replacing the control arm bushings with the Daizen PU ones. The OEM rubber ones are probably in bad shape by now.

You can always add the sways after these if you want more body roll control.
The best damn advice I have ever been given from a CL member. Thank you Neo. Consider yourself added to my "things to be thankful for".
Old 01-11-06, 11:57 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

feels like i know everything i will ever need for the tein ha, flex and cs. great write up!
Old 02-15-06, 05:53 AM
SaddleLex
Driver

Default CS for me

Thanks for the write up . CS w/EDFC for me. Getting installed Monday (Feb 20th).
Old 02-15-06, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on the setup, hope you like it!
Old 02-16-06, 02:05 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the sticky i was wondering exactly just how low can the CS actually go with 19inch wheels installed? Anyone have a pic ?
Old 02-16-06, 02:09 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i just tried this. i could only go 1 finger gap in the rear between the tire and fender lip, but could not go any further because i had bottomed out on the threads and the rear spring is quite long. there was some threads leftover to go lower on the fronts, but that would have left me with a dragster look

Last edited by Benjamin T; 02-16-06 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 02:15 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh okay so if i wanted to tuck the CS wouldnt do it for me? Im leaning towards the flex since it will lower it more
Old 02-16-06, 02:57 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

what is your definition of "tuck"? for some people it means having the wheel lip in line with the fender lip... i was almost able to do that with my 20" wheels in the rear on my old RA's at their lowest, but it was impossible to drive because i order to get the same ride height in the front the tires kept hitting the fender liners
Old 02-16-06, 10:13 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm finally doing the Flex vs CS decision too, and I have a couple of questions that I hope will further clarify all this stuff:
1) For CS, at its stiffest, can you use the term "corners on rails"? (Assume Daizens & bracing) I'm trying to get an idea of how stiff these can actually get.
2) For Flex, at its stiffest, would you use the term "stiff and jiggly" or the term "taut and controlled"?

Jerry
Old 02-16-06, 10:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
oh okay so if i wanted to tuck the CS wouldnt do it for me? Im leaning towards the flex since it will lower it more
well, tucked? get 20s then, haha
Old 02-22-06, 10:30 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys..just got my tein cs with edfc installed...woohoo..fun ride now. my only complaint is that it could stand to be just a tad bit stiffer on the lowest setting. there still is quite a bit of body roll...so i'm hoping some sway bars and daizen bushing will hook up my problem. my mechanic tested it out, i never seen a stock looking gs drift....pretty fun to watch....
Old 02-22-06, 04:17 PM
SaddleLex
Driver

Originally Posted by bluerex
hey guys..just got my tein cs with edfc installed...woohoo..fun ride now. my only complaint is that it could stand to be just a tad bit stiffer on the lowest setting. there still is quite a bit of body roll...so i'm hoping some sway bars and daizen bushing will hook up my problem. my mechanic tested it out, i never seen a stock looking gs drift....pretty fun to watch....

Congrats bro. I am picking my car up tomorrow with the same setup

Hood

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400