Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-04, 01:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KVA
Neo had Flex...
I know, just thought it would leave it hanging out in the balance!! LOL
Old 03-18-04, 01:45 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

...trying to instigate...hmmmm
Old 03-18-04, 02:31 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Here's a coilover newbie question for you guys...how long do they hold up? I would hope 50,000 miles at least for what they cost. And what wears down on? The entire thing or just the shock or just the spring? And what do you have to do when it does wear out...replace the entire set or can you get them rehabbed or something?
Old 03-18-04, 05:46 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up tein coilover review

henry that was a very informative review.

at some point i think i will get the TEIN CS coilovers for my wife's 99 gs400. she likes that stock cushyness, and still has the stock springs and shocks. but i would like it to handle better. we have daizen sways and all the toms braces on it already.

my car, a 99 gs400, has the JICMAGIC FLTA-2's which have the same stiffness as the TEIN HA's. it rides on the hard side but handles incredibly. i love to go fast around corners. i've got the daizen sways and all the toms braces also. the wife thinks my car is to harse a ride, luckily we've got two gs 400's.

in my opinion coilovers are the only way to go.

thanks for the review
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 03-18-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 06:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by 04GS300
Here's a coilover newbie question for you guys...how long do they hold up? I would hope 50,000 miles at least for what they cost. And what wears down on? The entire thing or just the shock or just the spring? And what do you have to do when it does wear out...replace the entire set or can you get them rehabbed or something?
i would say at least 50k too. the good thing with tein is that the whole thing is rebuildable, and parts could be changed individually. personally i think the shock would be the thing to go after certain miles, so just have that rebuilt and it's like new again
Old 03-18-04, 06:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: tein coilover review

Originally posted by 3dog
henry that was a very informative review.

at some point i think i will get the TEIN CS coilovers for my wife's 99 gs400. she likes that stock cushyness, and still has the stock springs and shocks. but i would like it to handle better. we have daizen sways and all the toms braces on it already.

my car, a 99 gs400, has the JICMAGIC FLTA-2's which have the same stiffness as the TEIN HA's. it rides on the hard side but handles incredibly. i love to go fast around corners. i've got the daizen sways and all the toms braces also. the wife thinks my car is to harse a ride, luckily we've got two gs 400's.

in my opinion coilovers are the only way to go.

thanks for the review
3dog
yup, with the wife factor, the CS always works
Old 03-18-04, 06:57 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Re: Re: tein coilover review

Originally posted by rominl
yup, with the wife factor, the CS always works
Excellent write-up Rominl!!

My wife is a tough cookie, I don't think I will ever have this wifey problem when I put on my Flex next month. She is very athletic just like myself. She also has her 1st Dan qualification in TKD! I think she will just love this suspension.
Old 03-19-04, 12:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write up Rom. I saw it last night when you linked it to me but I've been busy so this is the first chance I've got to respond.

For me, it has always been about adjustability and balance. I needed the adjustability so that I can drive hard when I need to and cruise otherwise. When I first started out modding the car, I made the noobie mistake of thinking I would not get too involved. That was part of the motivation for the L-Tuned S/S combo (and also the warranty factor). Once I added the TRD sways, the car was a bit stiff for everyday driving while it did not handle as nimbly as I would have liked. Plus, there were a few other issues I wanted to address. Enter the TRD front LCB and Tom's rear LCB. The car was almost perfect but it was still stiff sometimes and not enough handling to warrant it.

I then decided to step up to the Flex and "backed off" on the sways by going with Daizen. My thinking was that the Flex has adjustable dampening so I can go soft or stiff based on my mood while also reducing the bumpiness associated with the TRD blues. It almost worked. The Daizens performed as expected. The Flex when on the middle and middle-stiff settings were fantastic. On the days when I was in the mood for some hard driving and did not care about ride quality, I was in heaven. The downside, however, was when I wanted soft, the Flex was soft BUT they also felt somewhat unstable to me. There was more float at the softest setting then even the L-Tuned. I just did not enjoy driving the car at the softest setting.

When I went with the CS, I was a little hesitant since I expected things to be worse than the Flex softest. I had some friends reassure me though that the CS was a different animal and I should not worry. I have found that the CS as perfect as I can expect. Yes the car leans a little more. for me I get in those "driving" moods about 20% of the time. the other 80%, I just want to cruise. With the CS, though, I feel that I have given up only 20% of my handling needs but gaines 80% in ride quality. It has been a long time since I rode in a stock GS and I had an opportunity a month or so ago. The CS is very close to the stock ride but handling-wise, it is no contest.

It has also been awhile since I had my L-Tuned but if I had to make a comparison with the CS:

Hard cornering - CS a bit better but not drastic.
Nimbleness in traffic - CS feels very sure but not leaps over L-Tuned.
Ride quality - I would venture to say that CS is even softer than L-Tuned. It is not the mushy floaty soft but more well-behaved soft. Big ups for the CS here.

In terms of handling, I had the Flex so I was much more impressed with that change from L-Tuned. It is harder to tell how much better the CS is over the L-Tuned since I "backed-down" from the Flex handling-wise.

So, if the CS is not a big step better in the categories, why buy it? I think the cumulative effect is large. Other than the above characteristics, the coilovers are lighter, the car can be lowered more, and EDFC adjustability. I may have forgotten something but overall, you are still getting a better system.

The only caveat I have is that I installed all the lower braces and upper bars. If the standalone CS is handlig deficient in anyway, these bars cover up for it pretty well. I've had all these on except for the rear STB and the Tom's 6-link when I had the L-Tuned. The 6-link was added during the Flex era and the rear STB in the CS era.

Hope this helps, SPORTS.
Old 03-19-04, 04:13 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink neo coilover review

well that convinced me TEIN CS for the wifes car once i get mine finished. i still need a torque converter and new tail lights.

great review
3dog
Old 03-19-04, 11:24 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Guys, one more question....will the CS at a stiffer setting get as stiff as the Flex? I'm sure that it wouldn't get as stiff as Flex at stiff, but will the CS at stiff get as stiff as Flex on say medium? I think I just confused myself!

I just need to get to a meet and beg for some rides to see for myself!
Old 03-19-04, 01:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 04GS300
Guys, one more question....will the CS at a stiffer setting get as stiff as the Flex? I'm sure that it wouldn't get as stiff as Flex at stiff, but will the CS at stiff get as stiff as Flex on say medium? I think I just confused myself!
No. CS stiff is actually borderline softer that Flex soft. I think CS stiff is better behaved, though, then Flex soft.
Old 03-19-04, 01:44 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Thanks, Neo! I think that pretty much settles it for me...CS it is. Now, where's that lotto ticket...
Old 03-19-04, 02:31 PM
LexFather

Henry, u rock dude. This is what tons of people have been looking for.
Old 03-19-04, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Henry, u rock dude. This is what tons of people have been looking for.
Mike - since you drove my car with Flex recently, maybe you could give your impressions.
Old 03-19-04, 05:20 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

man and i asked a few weeks ago about the CS setup didnt get a good reply, so i passed up the offer (500 bucks for CS that had only 1000 miles on it, it was from a friend too)

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400