Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 08:01 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bitkahuna

I just want to clarify something. In your last post you indicated that the CS springs are softer, I am assuming then the Flex and not the L-tuned. If they were softer than the L-tuned there would be more body roll in the corners with the CS than L-tuned (this would not be consistent with Neo's observations).
Old 03-20-04, 09:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SPORTS
I am wondering whether the ride quality will improve for me as much as it did for you with the CS as I am going to keep the TRD sways?
I think Cong and LXOGOOD has the CS/TRD combo and they liked it. I can't remember if they had all the lower bracing though.
Old 03-20-04, 09:21 AM
Neo
The One

Bitkahuna

I just want to clarify something. In your last post you indicated that the CS springs are softer, I am assuming then the Flex and not the L-tuned. If they were softer than the L-tuned there would be more body roll in the corners with the CS than L-tuned (this would not be consistent with Neo's observations).
Although I can't remember seeing the specs for the the L-Tuned, I think Bit is comparing CS vs Flex. The spring rates on the Flex (10/9) and CS (9/8) area actually not that far apart (compared to HA: 14/10) but the shocks are setup differently for the appropriate ride/handling characteristics.
Old 03-20-04, 10:01 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by Neo
Although I can't remember seeing the specs for the the L-Tuned, I think Bit is comparing CS vs Flex. The spring rates on the Flex (10/9) and CS (9/8) area actually not that far apart (compared to HA: 14/10) but the shocks are setup differently for the appropriate ride/handling characteristics.
According to these spring rates there should not be much difference in the "body roll" factor between the Flex and CS. Am I correct in this statement? This would also mean there should be a noticeable difference when comparing the L-tuned and CS with the body roll and not just a light difference. In reading the TEIN charts as far as the drop with the CS it doesn't seem to have much more capability than the L-tuned. Again am I reading the charts wrong?

BTW Neo this is a great help for me thanks again.
Old 03-20-04, 12:04 PM
Neo
The One

According to these spring rates there should not be much difference in the "body roll" factor between the Flex and CS. Am I correct in this statement? This would also mean there should be a noticeable difference when comparing the L-tuned and CS with the body roll and not just a light difference. In reading the TEIN charts as far as the drop with the CS it doesn't seem to have much more capability than the L-tuned. Again am I reading the charts wrong?
Although the difference is only 1kg/mm^2, I easily noticed the body roll change. I can't say I can compare the body roll differences with the L-Tuned and CS since the L-Tuned/TRD sways combo I had for awhile was pretty effective. In terms of body roll, I was pretty happy with that L-Tuned/TRD combo. I changed out to Flex since I wanted to have the dampening adjustability coupled with the additional lowering.

As for the CS lowering, even in my current "raised" state, I have it lower than when I had the L-Tuned. AND, I still have room. I think I can go almost no gap if I bring it all the way down and I am only running 18s. With 19s or 20s, the CS has plenty of room to go down, as long as you are not going for the tucked/slammed look. When I had my Flex, I ran pretty much almost no (less than 1/2 finger) gap front and very slightly tucked rear. Driving around town was starting to be such a pain that I've raised it when I got the CS. The ride is much more manageble now that I'm pursuing larger wheels vs. lowering the car to reduce the fender gap.
Old 03-20-04, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

THANKS FOR THE TIME NEO!

Your experience is really helping answer many of my questions. I will not make my final decision until my RMM STB, TRD LCB and TOM'S LCB are installed on the car. I will compare the effect of these with my initial suspension mods and go from there. An interesting comment on TRD vs DAIZEN sways (I know this topic has been debated many times). I am wondering whether the ride quality will improve for me as much as it did for you with the CS as I am going to keep the TRD sways?

Thanks again.

Mario
mario,

i can't say about trd and daizen sways on the CS. i had them on the car when i had the flex, and i could feel the difference between the two set of sways on the flex
Old 03-20-04, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DGOT20s
This is a really great thread, IMO its worthy of a sticky, just think how much $$$ joshoowa could have saved if he would have had this info readily availible! LOL
ok, a sticky it is then
Old 03-20-04, 06:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
I think Cong and LXOGOOD has the CS/TRD combo and they liked it. I can't remember if they had all the lower bracing though.
i think cong had the front braces

for ken, i think he almost has all the braces and bars
Old 03-20-04, 06:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

BTW Neo this is a great help for me thanks again.
well between the CS and the flex, i felt a bit more roll on the CS, BUT, BUT, BUT, that's on very hard cornering. on normal fast speed cornering, to me, i can't feel any difference. on the other hand i could feel the difference even on fast speed cornering between the flex and the HA. hope that helsp
Old 03-21-04, 09:13 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
well between the CS and the flex, i felt a bit more roll on the CS, BUT, BUT, BUT, that's on very hard cornering. on normal fast speed cornering, to me, i can't feel any difference. on the other hand i could feel the difference even on fast speed cornering between the flex and the HA. hope that helsp
YES, YES, YES!! This is good. I am definitely "leaning" towards the CS now (no pun intended). Bottom line is that I want to have a noticeable difference in handling, cornering and ride quality in order to get rid of my almost new L-tuned shocks and springs. I just don't want to waste money on something that I may barely notice.

Awesome Rominl!!
Old 03-21-04, 11:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem man, ANYTHING to make you spend more money
Old 03-21-04, 02:33 PM
Dai Ca GQ
Driver

What are the price differences between these 3 setups? If there is even any? I would assume that it'll be very similar with the CS being the least expensive?
Old 03-21-04, 02:49 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by Dai Ca GQ
What are the price differences between these 3 setups? If there is even any? I would assume that it'll be very similar with the CS being the least expensive?
Are you talking about hte three in the title: HA, CS, and Flex? If so, pricing goes in that order too. CS and Flex are pretty close though (around 1300), maybe $50 between them. The HAs can be had for 900-1000 I think if you can find them. I don't think they are scarce but I believe Tein has also discontinued them.

Oh, and these are new pricing. Obviously, they can be had for less used.
Old 03-21-04, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Dai Ca GQ
no way, the CS is definitely not cheap. price has nothing to do with comfort remember the HA doesn't come in the COMPLETE form, meaning it doesn't have pillow mount, etc... so it's the cheapest. you can probably get them new for around 900 to 950, but they are discontinued item so tein will have to BUILD It for you, not sure if that will make it cost more

on the flex and CS, you can probably get them for aroun 1300
Old 03-22-04, 09:24 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, i found this graph that depicts the performance characterisitics of all of the Tein gear that is discussed in this thread. I'm sure many have seen it before, but I thought it would be helpful on this sticky:
Attached Thumbnails review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400-tein-product-matrix.jpg  

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400