Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 05:43 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.. question (someone smack me if i come off as a dumbass)
Right now i have an 96 sc300.. its stock.. and i am really satisfied with the handling for a stock car..
im buying my moms 99 gs400 (its stock) after i sell my sc.. Now when i drive her car.. im not really pleased with the handling compared to my sc (of course one is a sports coupe.. the other a lux sedan). but the ride of the gs is alot nicer of course.. My main objective for the gs when i buy it.. its to get nice handling along the lines of the sc's, while still keeping a pretty nice ride.

From what i've read in this post.. am i correct to say that the HA's would be best suited for me.?

Can someone enlighten me on the need for EDFC with the HA setup (im a little retarted when it comes to some aspects of car mod'ing)

(also if the are discontuned .. where can i get a set?.. )

Thanks in advance... also thanks for the nice write up.

J
Old 03-22-04, 06:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

smack smack smack! damnit! j/k

you put everything the other way. if you want reasonable handing and maintain the ride of the gs, get the CS. with the HA you will probably enjoy jumping around inside the car when going over uneven road, etc...

and with the edfc, it allows you to change the stiffness of the coilovers from inside the car
Old 03-22-04, 06:39 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Excellent right up Henry! Couldn't have wrote it better myself. From my experience w/ the Flex and CS, I personally loved the CS a lot more. Why? Because of the ride quality. My commute is 80 miles a day so I need the best ride comfort out there and still be able to make sharp turns without loosing the body role. The streets and freeway of LA are pretty bad so the CS was just perfect. The only thing that I didn't like was bottoming out when I hit a big dip going above 50mph but that could have been due to the fact that my car was pretty much slammed. Other then that, I would really recommend it to people who wants both the ride comfort and handling, the best of two worlds.
Old 03-22-04, 08:28 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

aight.. thanks alot

J
Old 04-06-04, 12:51 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Write up Henry. The HA were way too stiff for me, but with CS, the ride is perfect. I couldn't be anymore happier with them. Now I just have to get the EDFC.
Old 04-06-04, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally posted by mcgong
Good Write up Henry. The HA were way too stiff for me, but with CS, the ride is perfect. I couldn't be anymore happier with them. Now I just have to get the EDFC.
The problem with having any of the Teins WITHOUT EDFC is that you only normally experience one damper setting and the range they have makes a massive difference in comfort. I have Flex and if I didn't have EDFC I 'might' think they were too stiff in some cases (long boring highway drive) if I had the dampers set pretty stiff. On the flip side if I had them set soft I'd probably be disappointed with the handling. With the EDFC though it's so easy to experience the range of damper settings that I think any given Tein model might appeal to a broader range of customers.

I only went in a car with HA's once, and once in a case with CS's but I don't know how the dampers were set in either case. Makes a major difference in feel.

Anyway, get the EDFC - you're gonna love it.
Old 04-28-04, 03:04 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!

I think I want the Tein CS! I want something that doesn't feel like I'm in a boat (at times, I feel this way in my 100% stock GS400). But I also want to maintain the comfort of the Lexus ride as well. I also want to drop the car about 1inch from stock.

I live in the broken down street so Bklyn.

But it seems like most people (who are not tracking their car) like the CS setup. Here's my question:
I currently have 16s on. I plan to get either 17s or 18s sometime during the summer or autumn. Would the CS setup poise any problems? I'm assuming not, but I just want to make sure.

Also, when I first read this thead, I kept on seeing "EDFC" and I'm like "WTF is this EDFC". Rominl just answered that question a few posts above. Question is: What does EDFC stand for? How much is it? How difficult would it be to change the setting of a CS setup WITHOUT EDFC? How difficult is it to change the setup WITH EDFC?

Thanks very much for everyone who participated in this thread. It really helped me answer lots of questions.

Cadd
Old 04-28-04, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Question is: What does EDFC stand for? How much is it? How difficult would it be to change the setting of a CS setup WITHOUT EDFC? How difficult is it to change the setup WITH EDFC?
EDFC - electronic damping force controller.

I paid $325 - but prices will vary.

Changing setups without EDFC means you must open the hood and the trunk and manually turn the ***** on top of the dampers.

With EDFC you just hit a button inside the car!!!
Old 04-28-04, 06:27 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Bit, thanks for the info. Will the EDFC be compatible with other coilover setups or will it only be compatible with Teins?

Also, with EDFC, if you want to increase/decrease ride height, would you feel it while you're in the car? That'll be like a wannabe lowrider huh?
Old 04-28-04, 06:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Bit, thanks for the info. Will the EDFC be compatible with other coilover setups or will it only be compatible with Teins?

Also, with EDFC, if you want to increase/decrease ride height, would you feel it while you're in the car? That'll be like a wannabe lowrider huh?
EDFC is only compatible with Tein products, and it does not alter ride height only dampening. Ride height adjustments must be made in the conventional manner
Old 04-28-04, 08:23 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Can anyone with EDFC post a pic of it? I'm curious of what it looks like.

Thx,
Cadd
Old 04-28-04, 09:11 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone with EDFC post a pic of it? I'm curious of what it looks like.

Thx,
Cadd
From the Tein website:

Just a controller, 4 motors that goes on top of the coilovers, wiring, and install accessories.
Old 04-28-04, 09:38 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty damn complex. Where do you guys mount it? I guess the EDFC can't be a DIY huh? Do you think a local mechanic can install this? I'm sure a local mechanic can install the coilovers easily, but what about the EDFC?
Old 04-28-04, 09:57 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty damn complex. Where do you guys mount it? I guess the EDFC can't be a DIY huh? Do you think a local mechanic can install this? I'm sure a local mechanic can install the coilovers easily, but what about the EDFC?
I ran the wires myself. I was a little reluctant to cut into the wiring so I had someone else do that. I am sure a local mechanic can do it but I'd only let them do it if they are familiar with the car (and not just the engine) and have installed them before. Otherwise, the safest bet is to look for a Tein dealer/shop.
Old 04-29-04, 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

the wires are not hard to run at all, and you can print the US version manaul from the net, very easy. the edfc only adjust the stiffness, it doesn't change the heights at all.

and as long as you get the right offset on the 17s or 18s, you won't have any problem

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400