Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 10:58 AM
vulaevu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after reading all these post.. ive decided wats right for me.. anyone got one there selling either the FLEX or CS ???
Old 07-29-04, 10:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Rom, do you know if there is a DIY on the EDFC installation? My mechanic does not have the time to do mine and I am getting impatient of seeing the unit in my trunk. I want to attempt to do this myself. It cannot be rocket science, so I think I will manage ok.
Old 07-29-04, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well see, i can probably tell you about stuff that i have done on my car. but for stuff i haven't done before, the installation manual is as good as what i can offer

talk to neo and rmmgs4, they both pretty much did most of the install themselves
Old 07-29-04, 12:35 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Ok thanks! I will send both an email.
Old 08-19-04, 02:35 PM
LexFather

So what mods need to be done to fit the EDFC with the HA? I didn't see that.
And HA is steel but CS and Flex are aluminum so there might be a weight difference?
Old 08-19-04, 06:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
So what mods need to be done to fit the EDFC with the HA? I didn't see that.
And HA is steel but CS and Flex are aluminum so there might be a weight difference?
i don't know what mod you need to do to the HA?

and i didn't see much difference between the weight of the 3 setup somehow though
Old 09-20-04, 09:18 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

HEY ROMINL GREAT TREAD MAN,AND YOU'RE THE REASON WHY MY WIFE IS PULLING MY HAIR RIGHT NOW FOR BUYING THEM TEIN CS'S.
I'LL BE SENDING YOU THE BILL FOR HAIR RESTORASION MAN.LOL
Old 09-21-04, 02:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Lexy GS430
HEY ROMINL GREAT TREAD MAN,AND YOU'RE THE REASON WHY MY WIFE IS PULLING MY HAIR RIGHT NOW FOR BUYING THEM TEIN CS'S.
I'LL BE SENDING YOU THE BILL FOR HAIR RESTORASION MAN.LOL
haha well, now you know what my wife is doing all the time anyway, congrats again on the upcoming setup on your car. trust me, it's never ending. just look at my car
Old 09-21-04, 07:40 AM
vulaevu
Pole Position

HERES MY LATEST 2 CENT ON THE TEIN FLEX. MY BOY GOT HIS INSTALLED BEFORE ME AND HE CLAIMS IT SQUEEKS LIKE OTHER HAD SAID. IT HAPPENS IN THE REAR AND NOW IM AFRAID TO INSTALLY MY SHIET.
Old 09-21-04, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by vulaevu
HERES MY LATEST 2 CENT ON THE TEIN FLEX. MY BOY GOT HIS INSTALLED BEFORE ME AND HE CLAIMS IT SQUEEKS LIKE OTHER HAD SAID. IT HAPPENS IN THE REAR AND NOW IM AFRAID TO INSTALLY MY SHIET.
well there was squeak but it's wasn't like something unbearable. and honestly i didn't really notice it until i got my CS which is a lot quieter
Old 09-22-04, 07:38 AM
vulaevu
Pole Position

any pros here know how to reduce that sound or eliminate it?
Old 10-02-04, 09:10 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, being a newbie here, I am simply blown away with all of this great, time-saving, money-saving information. I am starting to seriously appreciate the Internet, as opposed to just taking it for granted.

I am picking up my 2001 GS430 this week, fresh off a 3-year lease, and I was certainly going to take the immediate cheap way out, and just buy some Eibach's to lower the car a respectable inch or so, to get the more aggressive look...to match the rims which are coming in Wednesday, and they are 20"s.

I am SERIOUSLY considering bagging the simple solution of Eibach springs altogether, and spend the $2,000 plus on the Tein CS with EDFC module. I live in the Northeast. We have potholes, and terrible city streets, and even some of our highways are all potmarked. So, I WOULD love the ability to adjust the ride setting based upon whether I am in the city, or I am barreling down a smooth suburban/country road.

So, TEIN CS it is!! I will order the Tein this week, and have it installed immediately. That EDFC is a pretty decent size module though, I am curious for those that have it, where did you put it inside the car?

Again, thanks for such SOLID information, that will surely save me research time, money and frustration. Now having read all this, I know if I bought the springs only, there are going to be many times when I will wish I had the ability to adjust the ride for stiffness and handling.

I might as well get the suspension right right out of the box. Along with that, I will get the L-tuned Steering ECU (is that covered under warranty?), but the sway bars and strut tower bars will have to wait.

I want the Tein and the L-tuned steering ECU NOW...thanks to you all.

Great write-up, Rom!

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-02-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-02-04, 09:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by KevinGS
I might as well get the suspension right right out of the box. Along with that, I will get the L-tuned Steering ECU (is that covered under warranty?), but the sway bars and strut tower bars will have to wait.

I want the Tein and the L-tuned steering ECU NOW...thanks to you all.

Great write-up, Rom!
Congrats on your choice of the CS. First things first: Electronic Damping Force Controller (EDFC).

Are you asking if the L-Tuned ECU is a warranty item, meaning getting the dealer to swap it? Or that is will be covered under warranty if you put it in?

If it is the former, than no. Many have claimed that the newer GS (01+) has the L-Tuned ECU installed. I do remember one thread a few years ago, though, that someone compared and said that they are different. I don't have an 01+ (but do have the ECU installed) so I cannont make claims to who is right.

If it is the latter, if the dealer installs it, then you have a 1 year warranty. If you install it, they will probably never know since the outer shell is exactly the same.
Old 10-03-04, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

kevin you are welcome, i am glad you found the information helpful

if you really love handling so much, and willing to give up a tad comfort, maybe you can try the tein flex
Old 10-03-04, 09:38 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Neo, for that info. That answered my question.

Rom, I can not sacrifice too much comfort since I live in an area where the roads can be awful, especially in the cities (Baltimore and Washington DC).

So, since I am definitely getting 19's or 20's, and the car will be dropped an inch or so, this surely will sacrifice enough comfort as it is. I need a setup that can be real soft when I want it to be, and quite aggressive when called for. Tein CS sounds about right.

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400