Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 10:29 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, after a visit to SRT in Maryland, Mo has convinced me that the Tein Flex is quite soft when at the softest setting (almost like stock), and rock-solid at the hardest setting.

I am leaning towards the Tein Flex now, since it gives you the widest range of setting. The CS is still an option though, since it's soft setting seems to be JUST like stock. Very soft. I like having that option too.
Old 10-04-04, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by KevinGS
Well, after a visit to SRT in Maryland, Mo has convinced me that the Tein Flex is quite soft when at the softest setting (almost like stock), and rock-solid at the hardest setting.

I am leaning towards the Tein Flex now, since it gives you the widest range of setting. The CS is still an option though, since it's soft setting seems to be JUST like stock. Very soft. I like having that option too.
well, keep in mind, with teh flex, you probably don't wanna go too soft. both neo and i had the experience where with flex, if set to full soft, the car became too bouncy and felt weird. my guess is the flex still performs the best at certain range of stiffness, say around the middle. if you make it full soft, it's soft, but it bounces.

just like my cs. it's in the middle settings now, it's good. if i make it too soft, it starts to get a bit bouncy too
Old 10-04-04, 01:07 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
well, keep in mind, with teh flex, you probably don't wanna go too soft. both neo and i had the experience where with flex, if set to full soft, the car became too bouncy and felt weird. my guess is the flex still performs the best at certain range of stiffness, say around the middle. if you make it full soft, it's soft, but it bounces.

just like my cs. it's in the middle settings now, it's good. if i make it too soft, it starts to get a bit bouncy too
Rom, when you say "bouncy", do you mean bouncier than even the stock suspension?

I need a reference point when you say "bouncy".
Old 10-04-04, 01:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rom, when you say "bouncy", do you mean bouncier than even the stock suspension?

I need a reference point when you say "bouncy".
Not more than stock but the float feeling is there. I should try the softest setting on the CS, which is where I felt the float on the Flex. the CS is so nice, I have not had to drive at softest. I have been near softest though and I don't feel it is a floaty as the Flext floaty.

There was a section of freeway where I used to work where I tested the float. I don't work there anymore and it is about 30 minutes away so I don't get to do these tests anymore. I'll have to find a new place closer to home for testing.
Old 10-04-04, 01:53 PM
Neo
The One

Remember, SRT is a performance oriented shop. I am knocking Mo's opinion or experience. I mentioned before that bitkahuna and Hameed also like the Flex a lot. I also liked the Flex for performance, but not for cruising and its intermittent noise due to its pillow ball. Unfortunately, only you can tell which is better for YOU. rominl and I both had Flex and CS and we like CS better, but that is us. Believe me, I loved the Flex for what it can do. I just like CS for daily driving better.

I know it is a hard call and it won't be as easy to tell right away. I loved the handling of the Flex and at first did not find it to be that stiff. As I lived with it over months, the bumpiness started to annoy me more and more. Add to the fact that my wife hated to be in the car and I knew I had to do something. Your situation may be totally different. I am not trying to sway you from one or the other. They are both great products but they are for people with different goals. Unfortunately, unless you want to spend $ and live with both for awhile, you'll just have to do what you are doing now to gather data and just bite the bullet.
Old 10-04-04, 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Kevin, your best bet is to find local owners of GS cars that have Flex or CS and feel for yourself. There must be owners of those around you.

As Neo and rominl say, the Flex and CS have pros and cons. The rubber mounts and softer spring rates of the CS will be more comfortable but still considerably more capable than stock, while the Flex have the metal 'pillow' mounts which are noisier over bumps (although not objectionably to me at all) and slightly stiffer spring rates. I'd be surprised if the dampers on either are much different. And with EDFC, both provide a range of damper stiffness.

I honestly think I would have been very happy with either setup. Go for it.
Old 10-04-04, 07:14 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

I have read about this "bounciness" before from you and Neo but honestly I either don't understand what you are talking about (as I have not noticed this "bounciness"), or perhaps it is just my lack of experience with "performance" based cars.

I don't find the Flex bouncy at its softest settings at all. The roads here are pretty bad especially in the city. The highways are pretty good and smooth. I have my Flex set to 15/16 as my daily driver setting and I find it very comfortable and not bouncy at all. In fact I tend to have it at that setting about 90% of the time.

Just like Bitkahuna said, you will not go wrong with either the Flex or CS. Just do it!!
Old 10-04-04, 07:24 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Here's the deal:

It's going to be a daily driver. I need maximum, silent, non-floaty comfort when called for, and then I want it to handle on rails (or as close to it) when asked.

I live in an area where I will eventually go over LOTS of bumps. LOTS. Some with potholes. I am concerned mostly with the "crashing" over bumps. When I want comfort, I want it to glide over the bumps, as best as 20s can anyway. LOL I'd prefer not to have it float like a Caddy if I can avoid it, but I DO want it quite soft when I dial that setting up. Is that even possible riding on 20's? I mean really, am I just asking too much. My Millenia with 18s and Eibach springs was unbearable in the city. Are 20's going to make it unbearable no matter which Tein I get?

I will ask for a ride in Mo's Lex though. I need some test data. I'll ask him who has the Tein CS in my area too.

Comfort is best for me, really. The lowering of the car, and then the stiffening of the shock through the module should give me all I need. I don't need go-kart handling.

Yeah, I have swayed back, I'll tell Mo I want the CS. LOL

Thanks ALL OF YOU for your input. Any more is appreciated.

I am not buying the Tein for about 1 month though, because the rims will come first. So, I have some time to get some more opinions and to get a test ride from Mo and others.

I am buying the Lexus because I want a luxury car with some azz, I am not buying it to be a total sports car, or else I'd buy a SPORTS CAR. LOL

Hmmmm....

I want the quietest, smoothest, most comfortable, non-floaty suspension I can get. It sounds like I want the CS.

It sounds like I am a flip-flopper. I am. I guess running for president is out.
Old 10-04-04, 07:26 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by Hameed
Just like Bitkahuna said, you will not go wrong with either the Flex or CS. Just do it!!
Done.

Does your Flex make any noise, Hameed? I want the suspension to be as silent as possible.

15/16 is almost as soft as it gets, I suppose, huh? And you have potholes too where you live? I live in DC. We have some whoppers.

What size are your rims, Hameed? Just curious.
Old 10-04-04, 07:41 PM
Neo
The One

What size are your rims, Hameed? Just curious.
He is running a beautiful set of 18" HRE 447R .
Old 10-04-04, 07:49 PM
Neo
The One

I want the quietest, smoothest, most comfortable, non-floaty suspension I can get. It sounds like I want the CS.
I notice there is not a mention of gokart handling in there so I think you want CS too. It sounds like you already know but there are limits to how soft a ride can be with 20s, even with 18s. You just have less rubber than the standard stock 16s. When you hit a big sharp bump, you will definitely feel it as it is not dampened by the rubber. There is only so much a shock absorber will take.

Definitely get test rides if you can.
Old 10-04-04, 08:00 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
I notice there is not a mention of gokart handling in there so I think you want CS too. It sounds like you already know but there are limits to how soft a ride can be with 20s, even with 18s. You just have less rubber than the standard stock 16s. When you hit a big sharp bump, you will definitely feel it as it is not dampened by the rubber. There is only so much a shock absorber will take.

Definitely get test rides if you can.
You are right. Comfort first. Mo convinced me I can get that comfort with the Flex. Maybe not. I want comfort, quiet and no float when called upon...and I mean NO CADILLAC FLOAT. I want soft, but I don't want it to feel like I am in a boat, which is how I feel like when I am in an old school Caddy or Olds. You know what I mean.

When I want it to handle as close to a go-kart as possible, I want that too, but it needn't be JUST like a go-kart. I just want it to be firm, with very little body roll, when called upon.

CS will probably do me.
Old 10-04-04, 10:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, i talked to neo alot when we were looking for different coilovrs, and thus why we came to the conclusion. i didn't really know what the floating feel was until i drove neo's car with the cs (when i had the flex), and then i got the cs as well. immediately i figured what it's like when the flex is at the softest but floating, whereas the cs is just as soft but yet "firm". yeah i know, it's hard to describe, but that's the best i can put it into

kevin, i think your best bet, just ask around for CL members and take a quick ride in their cars. you will know fors ure. it's not small money, so spend wise.

plus imho, with the cs, although the ride is softer, i don't really lose much handling. yes the car roll a tad more than the flex on sharp hard turns, but it's still pretty much the same speed
Old 10-05-04, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

KevinGS - sorry to say it, but if you want 20s, a silent ride, great over pot holes, yet want it to ride on rails on demand, you're dreaming.

From all your comments, I say you should get the CS since comfort and quiet over bad roads seems a strongly recurring theme.
Old 11-01-04, 04:14 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will the L-tuned steering ECU do for me? Will this work on Aristo V300?

I like the sound of the Tein RA + EDFC, it concerns me the strut-brace might not fit.

Comments?

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400