Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by yoshi
What will the L-tuned steering ECU do for me? Will this work on Aristo V300?

I like the sound of the Tein RA + EDFC, it concerns me the strut-brace might not fit.

Comments?
the ecu will help tightening up the steering wheel column at high speed. now it's a good question whether it will work on the v300 though, it's primarily a usdm thing. maybe you can check with steve ganz, his username is supratrd

the RA is good if you want nothing but stiffness and track racing. for street driving it's stiff.

and strut brace, what strut brace you have? some clears, some don't
Old 11-02-04, 01:20 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I will check the Jap tuners for the steering mod - I do know as the speed increases, the resistance falls and the steering becomes heavier. Some guy wired it so it was 'light' all the time, I guess I could wire it so it's 'heavy' all the time.

I'm sure I could get some custom/universal brace, I would fit the EDFC first before my strut brace.

I have big problems with tyre 'scrubbing' right now, I go round corners so fast the outer edge wears well before the rest of the tyre. I saw Pirelli P-Zeros on a Ferrari with very small tyre wall, supposedly to reduce this tyre scrub - any clues?

I use the slicks primarily for the concrete tyre wall, scrubbing is virtually non-existant.
Old 03-01-05, 08:09 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Tein CS installed today. I'm very impressed, it's at it's softest setting and the ride feels smoother than the factory suspension!
Old 03-01-05, 09:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gapxguy
I just got the Tein CS installed today. I'm very impressed, it's at it's softest setting and the ride feels smoother than the factory suspension!
congrats on the new setup
Old 06-08-05, 08:29 AM
pavster
Driver

Originally Posted by yoshi
I guess I will check the Jap tuners for the steering mod - I do know as the speed increases, the resistance falls and the steering becomes heavier. Some guy wired it so it was 'light' all the time, I guess I could wire it so it's 'heavy' all the time.
I am curious about what you find regarding the steering mods; especially making it heavy all the time. Since the steering booster is electric, it shouldn't be too hard to mod. I was thinking about trying to just unplug the harness that goes to whaterver provides the boost: pump? rack? But no boost at all might be a bit too heavy on the steering. Also not sure what the ECU will think about an unplugged harness.

-pavel.
Old 06-08-05, 08:39 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Somebody on lexusownersclub.co.uk did a mod for the steering. They set it LIGHT feeling all the time. It works on resistance, 0 - 12v. I guess at 12v it's power-assisting 100% and at 0v it's got no assist or 'heavy' feel.

Speed sensitive steering is OK as it is I think personally.
Old 08-01-05, 08:49 PM
Lvangundy

Awesome, I knew this was something simple. The L-Tuned ECU is one of the biggest marketing hype parts I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by yoshi
Somebody on lexusownersclub.co.uk did a mod for the steering. They set it LIGHT feeling all the time. It works on resistance, 0 - 12v. I guess at 12v it's power-assisting 100% and at 0v it's got no assist or 'heavy' feel.

Speed sensitive steering is OK as it is I think personally.
Old 08-02-05, 06:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I will will getting my CS's installed on thursday I've been looking forward on doing a coilover kit now for sometime on a quality made vehicle such as the Lexus It the best of both worlds with this coilover set-up----lowered height and a next to near stock ride..Can't beat that.. I'm very happy with my purchase and looking forward to Thursday....

Tony
Old 08-02-05, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I will will getting my CS's installed on thursday I've been looking forward on doing a coilover kit now for sometime on a quality made vehicle such as the Lexus It the best of both worlds with this coilover set-up----lowered height and a next to near stock ride..Can't beat that.. I'm very happy with my purchase and looking forward to Thursday....

Tony
congrats again on the new coilover post your feedback!
Old 08-02-05, 11:18 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just put in some tein flex 2 weeks ago and they ride really good. im surprised, majority of people here post that theyre to stiff. not at all. im also running 19's with 35 series in the front and 30's in the back. almost tuckin rim in the rear. but tuckin tire in the front. but theyre not lying about the cabin noise. just a little noisy. but overall, i like.
Old 08-19-05, 11:11 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

sigh... i have to sell my tein RA's because it makes mom and dad sick in the back seat

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175559

looks like i'll be going tein CS instead... hoping someone has stock in north america.
Old 09-12-05, 08:27 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear guys, I am interested in buying a set of tein HAs for my car. Do you know if the stiffness on the setting of "0", is comparable to that of a 3 or 5 series bmw or an L-tuned drop? Thanks.
Old 09-12-05, 09:39 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Dear guys, I am interested in buying a set of tein HAs for my car. Do you know if the stiffness on the setting of "0", is comparable to that of a 3 or 5 series bmw or an L-tuned drop? Thanks.

do yourself a favor man... DONT do it IMO... i have never ridden in a car w/HA's but from what i understand, it is stiffer than the tein FLEX and the flex is pretty stiff... i had the flex and didnt mind it too much, but EVERYONE in my car was like why is a lexus so stiff?? so i got rid of them and put the CS on and WOW is all i can say. it was like night and day. so do yourself a favor and wait for the CS
Old 09-12-05, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

even at the softest, the HA is still stiffer than the ltuned i am pretty sure
Old 09-13-05, 01:13 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess nobody hear has ever driven in a bimmer.

Quick Reply: review of tein HA, Flex, and CS coilvers on GS400