Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can anyone diagnose this ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-04, 11:31 AM
Joehs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone diagnose this ?

Hey guys,

I have a 1993 SC300. When I was outside washing it today I noticed that the car is leaning towards drivers side rear wheel, and not just alitte bit. It seems to be about an Inch and a half or so. Its factory suspension so im wondering, has it always been like that and I just didnt notice it til now. Or did something break and I need to have it fixed ?

Im going to go take a picture of it right now, so ill have it up in about 5 minutes..

Thanks for whatever help you all give me

Joey
Old 03-18-04, 11:33 AM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

my guess is the strut...prob old and just gave out.....how many miles on the speedo?
Old 03-18-04, 11:37 AM
Joehs
Pole Position

Ok heres the Pictures - First one is car from the rear, second one is Passenger side Rear wheel , thrid picture is Driver side rear wheel..

98k On the speedo
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone diagnose this ?-img_0327.jpg  
Joehs
Pole Position

Passenger side wheel
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone diagnose this ?-img_0328.jpg  
Joehs
Pole Position

Driver side rear wheel - Thanks again for any help. if it is suspension problems, this will give me a new excuse to ask dad for that drop ive been wanting :O
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone diagnose this ?-img_0329.jpg  

Last edited by Joehs; 03-18-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-18-04, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, it could be a strut or suspension piece, but first do the simple things before you start spending any real money. Tire pressure OK? Tire itself OK? Listen for rattling or clunking noises over bumps. Another simple check......push down fairly hard on the rear fender (not hard enough to bend the sheet metal). The left rear end should bounce and rebound only once....it it keeps bouncing, the shock is gone.
The shock part of the strut often wears out before the spring coiled around it does....usually from a worn piston inside the shock.
Old 03-18-04, 01:40 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

OK, I went to check for bouncing, only 1 rebound, nothing else. Tire pressure is ok, Tire itself is basically brand new. Any ideas ? anything i should immediately be concerned about ?

Joey
Old 03-18-04, 06:34 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push up the rubber boot around the shock and feel the piston. If there is any oil there, the shock is blown.

-BTW- make sure your not looking at the car crooked and your driveway is straight
Old 03-19-04, 12:45 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw a posting to National Supra mailing list about such a problem. It apears generally this is normal. My car is experiencing simmilar thing except not to such extent. I imagine in your case this may be an actual problem. How many miles do you have on your car?

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 03-19-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 12:54 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

exact same problem man but again not to that extent, I am doing all 4 struts and springs soon and hopefully that will clear it up.
If you find out exactly what it is then let me know.
PEACE
Old 03-19-04, 01:06 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Arrow

Thanks guys, My dad works for lexus and he says that its something that happens to alot of older cars as they age....but that kinda urks me you know ? No oil on the strut that I could tell...Well it was my birthday last week so I have a bit of cash to throw around...I was going to upgrade the rest of my audio system , also had a thought about doing some exhaust work , but maybe ill end up throwing it into suspension...oh well if you all find out anything else let me know asap ! thanks again for everything you guys have suggested. <3 CL

Joey
Old 03-19-04, 04:27 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Ok update - I was out today driving around town today and when I would hit speed bumps or small holes in the road - the majority of the car would stiffen up pretty quick, but the driver side rear would seem to be alittle more floaty than the rest of the car. Sound like a broken part ?

the car has just about 99000 miles on it, and its been completely stock til I got to it.

I had a thought, that it might be due to the change in wheels ? I didnt have them balanced or anything, except when I got the new tire. ( I had to buy a new tire because one wore weird and it was down to treadbar, rest had 70% left - I had the new one balanced and i didnt the others ).

Anything Anybody can think of ?

Thanks again

Joey
Old 03-26-04, 01:10 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasnt there a post or something like a month ago or so of this happening on the front axle when people gets new struts/springs??? they all concluded this was normal and the only way to make the whole car sit at a specific height on all four sides was with a good coilover set... now the rear side, Im not sure but I was always wondering if after several years <any car> of driving all by yourself, the drivers side of the car gets more used to have weight than the passanger side therefore it settles a bit lower... now you mention the rims, by looking at the pics, I believe your rims are most likely heavier than stock, wouldn't this put stress on the suspension?? <wondering..>, specially if the car is almost reaching 100k on its stock shocks <which is also the time in which I would replace all shocks in any car just in case..> my 2cnts..