Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway Bar Research Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 12:34 PM
CDE BRKR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sway Bar Research Question

My goal is to reduce body roll & increase cornering stability/control of my '04 is300 and perhaps getting closer to a neutral steer than the factory understeer. I have researched that upgrading the front & rear sway bars will make a significant positive impact toward reaching this goal.

So far I have found 8 different vendors offering sway bars for the is300:

HKS http://www.hopupracing.com/noname5.html
Hotchkis http://www.hopupracing.com/noname5.html
Daizen http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/is.html
TRD http://www.i-m-racing.com/trdswaybaris.html
Sustec http://www.hopupracing.com/tasustleis.html
Cusco http://www.napsusa.com/napsusa/175-311-A30.html
Eibach http://www.hopupracing.com/eiankitfrrea2.html
Stillen http://www.i-m-racing.com/stilfronrear1.html

My question is what specifications should I utilize to most effectively compare these products in order to achieve my goal?

Most vendors seem to provide the diameters of the front & rear, and some provide the stiffness % increase (over OEM I assume) of the front & rear. I am just not sure what I should be looking for exactly, though I suspect for example, that too much stiffness increase in the rear might result in more of an oversteer than I think desire. But how much would be too much is unknown to me.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Really appreciate your help

Chris
Old 03-24-04, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

honestly if you want to go hardcore, it's another art class. keep in mind, having the THICKEST and most solid sways doesn't mean it's going to make you a champ. the sways, shocks, unsprung weight, bushings, etc... e verything work together to make the car a good perfoamcne one. so imho it's always hard to just go out and tell people what to get, which one is the best.

i have the daizen with my HA and i love them. the setup works pretty well with each other. i guess that's all i can tell you
Old 03-24-04, 01:19 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

I can't really explain what you should look for, but I have the Daizen sways and love them! The rears are adjustable so you have the flexibility to choose what setting you want. I love mine and I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 03-24-04, 01:59 PM
crazeazn
Rookie

keep in mind all the aftermarket sway bars will give you oversteer, most drivers do not know how to correct oversteer, so keep that into consideration...
Old 03-25-04, 06:50 PM
scottc25
Driver

Everyone loves the Hotchkis sways. That's my next mod.
Old 03-25-04, 08:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by crazeazn
keep in mind all the aftermarket sway bars will give you oversteer, most drivers do not know how to correct oversteer, so keep that into consideration...
Exactly! Novice drivers shouldn't even consider anything thicker than the L-Tuned/Eibach sways. Even with those sways, putting them on track setting can actually cause more harm that good with an unexperienced driver.
Old 03-25-04, 09:11 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default sways

I would consider myself a novice. I have the Area51 bar and love it! Not too pricey, not too stiff, and very neutral. Just right. About the same as the Eibach's or possible softer setting on Hotchkis? Have heard great things about the Hotckis bar and are on group buy on is300.net. Good Luck.
Old 03-27-04, 02:26 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
Exactly! Novice drivers shouldn't even consider anything thicker than the L-Tuned/Eibach sways. Even with those sways, putting them on track setting can actually cause more harm that good with an unexperienced driver.
This is somewhat of a misnomer, there really aren't any bars on the market that provide oversteer. If there were, there would be a lot of wrecked cars and lawsuits to match.

Aftermarket bars bring a car closer to neutral, which the general market considers "oversteer". The ideal situation is actually slight understeer, with oversteer caused by gas, brake or steering input.

All of the above mentioned bars will give a "more neutral" response, none will provide what is truly known as oversteer. The car will be safer to drive and will handle a whole lot better, so you will definitely improve your car with any of the above choices.

Do note that we sell most of the above mentioned bars (at good prices I might add! ), so there is no bias from my post here for one brand over another.

Also note that while there are listings from different vendors for diameter and stiffness percentages, they usually don't correlate to each other, so that's not really going to help you much. Even knowing diameters isn't going to help, as there is another factor of material thickness if the bar is hollow, bushing mounting, sway bar material, etc. These all play a major role.

One thing you do NOT want to do is mix and match the bars on this particular car. Use the sets as they come.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 03-27-04 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 03:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get swaybars with atleast the rear one being adjustable. This way you can tailor it better to what you want.

The Hotchkiss, L-Tuned and Daizen all have adjustable bars. If the bars don't offer any adjustability, then you can assume they are balanced out to have a little understeer at best. I doubt if any of them will even be close to providing neutral handling. It doesn't mean that your car wouldn't handle better with the non-adjustable bars, it's just that you have no way to tweek the handling to your driving needs / style.

I chose L-Tuned on my wifes car (INDGOGRL) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=98807

We wanted more neutral handling, but we also wanted to minimize the loss in ride comfort over un-even pavement. The L-Tuned are one of the softer sway bar set ups and the rear is adjustable, so for us the decision was easy.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-27-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-29-04, 01:25 PM
CDE BRKR
Driver School Candidate

Smile thank you

appreciate all the helpfulness!

does anyone know of a group buy for the Daizen Sway Set for an IS300?

chris
Old 03-29-04, 02:48 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: thank you

Originally posted by CDE BRKR

chris
you have a pm
Old 03-29-04, 05:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: thank you

Originally posted by CDE BRKR

chris
i don't think there will be GB for the daizen sways
Old 04-08-04, 08:43 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default sways

Hey CDE BRKR, what did you end up doing? Let us know.
Old 04-09-04, 07:12 PM
CDE BRKR
Driver School Candidate

haven't pulled the trigger yet....but i will....should have it done within 2 months time....ill be sure to post how it feeeeeels
Old 04-10-04, 02:31 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

i've got the eibach prokit sways, and i love them...just enough, but not too stiff. the rear's got 3 notches, so you can adjust that as well...i've got mine on the middle setting. good luck with your purchase!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Research Question