Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Partial TT Brake parts have arrived....but

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 07:05 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tim, here's what Manaray posted in an old thread in regards to break-in procedures. He suggested this to a gentleman who was experiencing Rotor warping. What Manaray states makes sense and that's what I did over the weekend(I actually drove about 120 miles over the course of 2 days). As for my wheels, they're the 19 inch variety. The Supra brakes still look small but at the same time, is way better than stock.

"How are you on you rotors? Are you driving hard (like a canyon run) and then SITTING on the brakes at the end? Don't do that.

Also, you MUST brake in rotors properly. You can't install new rotors and pads and then just go drive around like normal...

A good chunk of brake warpage problems are from improper break-in procedures...what you should do is drive around and GENTLY brake...for the first 10 miles or so, get up to about 60 mph and then slow down to 30 mph...then speed back up to 60 then slow down to 30 mph...just repeat that about 6 times...then let it cool for a few minutes and do it again...until you hit about 10 miles...then for the next hundred miles or so (75 to 100 miles), just do "normal" braking (like coming to a stop sign)...but do it GRADUALLY. Don't do F1 style pit stops (30 to 0 in like 5 feet). You need to basically heat cycle the rotor and bed the pads...try not to do full stops from above 60-70mph...

It's just like any piece of machinery...you must break it in properly..."

Originally posted by Manaray....
Old 04-12-04, 07:55 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

I just took it easy on them for the first few hundred miles and didn't do any heavy full stops- should be just as good.
Old 04-12-04, 09:19 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

I hear ya Tim, the feel of this new setup is great. I'm still babying these brakes though.