Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dealer Can't Fix My Front End Shake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 03:51 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Can't Fix My Front End Shake!!!!

My 2001 has been at the dealer 2 times for wheel/front end shake and it still isn't fixed. I had a clunk sound over bumps and the front drivers side would shake 60-80 mph. They replaced upper strut mounts and said it was a bulliten but that did not fix it. The 2nd time they had it for a week, replacing a bunch of stuff, they said they replaced balljoints, a bunch of bushings, I think the drivers strut also, I just picked it up last night and don't have the paper work because they didn't close my file because I guess they didn't think they fixed it. Well I have no clunk sound over bumps it actually feels great over bumps. Today I got my new wheel put on(had one that the chrome was chipping bad and the fools put it in the problem spot) and I put it in the front where I was having the problem and sure enough after 60 mph the car shakes bad like it did before. I have had all the tires balanced and have had 4 different wheels in the drivers front with the same issue. It is so annoying, the shaking puts my left leg to sleep. The only thing I think that may be left is the hub, which I suggested was the problem in the first place but I am not sure. Anyone know what it is or have an idea???/ It is such a pain bringin it to the dealer, I mean it is cool that the Lexus Dealer treats me well and gives me a loaner but I just want my car to drive like it should, my 95 is smoother.
Old 03-30-04, 04:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the shaking....what kind of wheels you got? aftermarket wheels or stock? How's the tires? Bald or near bald? I assume Lexus balanced your wheels at a higher speed.

Was 4-wheel computerized alignment done? Steering pretensioners should NOT be a problem on 00+ models...cuz Lexus changed them after 99 year which had a vibration problem.
Old 03-30-04, 04:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

couple of things:
1) tire pressure
2) balance
3) hub centric wheels? hub rings?
4) steering wheel pretensioner, tightened?
Old 03-30-04, 04:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
Regarding the shaking....what kind of wheels you got? aftermarket wheels or stock? How's the tires? Bald or near bald? I assume Lexus balanced your wheels at a higher speed.

Was 4-wheel computerized alignment done? Steering pretensioners should NOT be a problem on 00+ models...cuz Lexus changed them after 99 year which had a vibration problem.
no, actually starting late production of the 98 GS, they have changed to a new type of pretensioner and it's been that way till now, i believe. the problem was that the early ones, they weren't tightened hard enough. and i guess sometimes it just so happens that some of the pretensioners they aren't tightened down right?

my 98 gs was the first few built and it had the old type pretensioner. changed to new type and tightened it a bit, and now no vibration at all.

btw, one of the problem if you tighten it too much, the power steering would be weird so when you make a right turn, the steering wheel doesn't come back fast enough at all.
Old 03-30-04, 04:40 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
my 98 gs was the first few built and it had the old type pretensioner. changed to new type and tightened it a bit, and now no vibration at all.
Henry, when was your built? If I'm not mistaken, mine was built in September or October 97.
Old 03-30-04, 08:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
Henry, when was your built? If I'm not mistaken, mine was built in September or October 97.
not sure when mine is built, but look at your vin. my is like 6xxx so that's the 6xxxth GS made. we can compare it that way. but if yours is bult in sept 97 then it's damn early. i think my friend got the car back in feb 98.

and yes, that would probably mena you have the old type of pretensioner, which is not adjustable like the new one. that's why i had to replace the whole thing with the new type
Old 03-30-04, 08:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn. I got my car in Jan 98 so I guess I have the old one too.
Old 03-30-04, 11:19 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
not sure when mine is built, but look at your vin. my is like 6xxx so that's the 6xxxth GS made. we can compare it that way. but if yours is bult in sept 97 then it's damn early. i think my friend got the car back in feb 98.
My VIN says ...2153.

And my apologies to SLVRGS for hijacking your thread. You mentioned that the dealer swapped 4 different wheels to the front drivers spot, but they should really have swapped both front wheels out or to the back.
Old 03-31-04, 06:32 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Shake

I have had my tires balanced and checked, the wheels are factory Lexus 17's, the tires that are now in the front probably have 5k on them so they are pretty new. When I bought the car it had Lexus 16's, and the car shook 60-80 mph, the tires were kind of bald and I was planning on putting my 17's on it anyway, so I was figuring it was the tires, when I put the 17's on I still had the issue. I brought it in the dealer and they didn't correct it. I have had the tires balanced and the shop said they were fine in the first place, they were fine on my 95. I myself have had 4 different wheels in the drivers front from the 16's and me rotating the 17's just to make sure it wasn't a wheel/tire issue.

What is this issue with the pretensioner, could this be a problem with mine? Or could it be the hub?I have to call the dealer this morning and I would like to have an idea. Man is it anoying the vibration comes up from the floor all the way through my leg, it is drivin me nutts.

And for hijackin my thread, come on guys.......but thanks for the info
Old 03-31-04, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Did you buy your car new? If not, do you know if your car was ever in an accident? It could be a frame alignment problem.

Also, if you have or had alignment problems then 5k on the tires could ruin them so that no amount of balancing will help.
Old 03-31-04, 12:09 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Shaking

No I have not had my car since new, I bought it a little over 2 months ago.
I am not sure if it was in an accident but had my body guy look it over 3 times before I bought it and there was no major damage or paint work done, there is no scuffs or new wheel out of the 4 that came on the car and the dealer didn't seem to find any kind of damage that could have been caused by an accident when they had my car for a week, so I doubt it is a frame alignment thing, especially considering I have searched and seen tons of posts on this site with the same issue but not narrowing down the main problem.

Guess I will just have to take it back again, I just wonder when the dealer is going to give up considering my car is just over 50k, but my car was brought there with the issue before 50k.......
Old 03-31-04, 05:05 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Shaking

Originally posted by SLVRGS
Guess I will just have to take it back again, I just wonder when the dealer is going to give up considering my car is just over 50k, but my car was brought there with the issue before 50k.......
Unless you stop pursuing the problem, they CAN'T. They have an obligation to fix the problem since it started before 50K. Patience is key.
Old 03-31-04, 09:59 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought the car it had Lexus 16's, and the car shook 60-80 mph
This is not right at all. I've read threads about steering while vibration around 55-60 mph, but I believe those who complained also had aftermarket wheels. If the car shook on the stock 16's between that large a range (60 to 80), I would think that the continued shaking after you placed 17's on your car is NOT due to the wheels themselves.

Bit's comments make sense to me...I would also consider checking either the frame alignment or possibly subframe components to see if any are bent.

Your initial comments about it possibly being the hub also sounds viable.
Old 04-05-04, 10:51 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

My .02:

One thing you might want to research is if the dealer balanced your tires when they were cold or warm (after driving). Some tires change the balance after they heat up. So, if they were balanced cold, that might be your problem. Does the shake happen right away, or do you have to do some driving first?
Old 04-12-04, 08:45 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Fixed!!!!

I totally forgot to reply on this one, they fixed it......it turned out to be the wheels/tires.........even after complaining about the shake 2 or 3 times after being at the dealer, they didn't check the tires until last week, they told me that 1 maybe 2 of the rims had small flat spots in them making them not perfect around, they were able to balance the tires and the ride is great now. They didn't charge me, and they could have easily considering those wheels came off my other GS and they knew it, but they didn't shake on my other car, and I did have them checked twice at discount tire........oh well at least my car drives great now.......Lexus service is still great.......

Quick Reply: Dealer Can't Fix My Front End Shake!!!!