Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

aftermarket springs + stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 10:30 AM
_DAG_
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket springs + stock shocks

Hey guys, thinking about lowering, but don't aftermarket springs cause the stock shocks to wear out more quickly? For example on my 03 auto i have 7k miles, but would like either the eibachs(not sure which model is better-pro kit or sportline), tein s-tech, or hotchkis. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-21-04, 05:18 PM
silveraltezza
Driver

It's true aftermarket springs will eventually wear out the stock shocks faster -(stock shocks aren't designed to handle different spring rates).

If you're going to lower the car with aftermarket springs. Might as well change the stock shocks to tokicos/blistens/trd - kill two birds with one stone....per say .
Old 04-21-04, 09:23 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default suspension

Thanks silveraltezza. What setup are you running?
Old 04-21-04, 10:23 PM
silveraltezza
Driver

Default Re: suspension

Originally posted by _DAG_
Thanks silveraltezza. What setup are you running?
I went a totally different route... and went with Coilovers . Basically replacing the whole suspension (springs and shocks). I like the fact you can change the ride height any way you liked and change the dampening from rock hard to close-as-stock. The only thing with coilovers is trying to dial in a setting you like - lots of variables to think about camber adjustments, alignment, corner balancing come to mind when dealing with coilovers.

Whereas, with springs and shocks. There's only one setting to contend with and you're set(for the most part )
Old 04-22-04, 10:32 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

i vote for the eibach prokit springs. but i don't know how much of a drop you're looking for...that will be a fairly modest drop...

in terms of shocks, it's up to you. if you want to save some money now, you can ride on your stock shocks for awhile...and then switch to performance shocks later. i'm riding on the stock ltuned set-up until my car gets too bouncy. i've been debating whether to get coilovers or just some performance shocks, when these shocks need replacing...
Old 04-25-04, 08:20 AM
_DAG_
Driver

Default springs+shock

Hey, great, well thanks guys. I can see what silveraltezza is saying about getting the shocks. Why not get them both at the same time and save $. What is a good spring+shock combo setup?