Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pads and brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-04, 12:55 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads and brake lines

Hey CL.

First off, let me pre-empt myself by saying I searched, but did not find exactly quite what I was looking for, so please bear with me.

For my initial brake upgrade on my newly acquired SC300, I would like to get aftermarket brake pads and stainless steel brake lines. From what I have read, EBCs, Hawks, and Axxis pads seem to be popular pad choices. I was wondering if you brake gurus can tell me which ones are better for street driving while mated to stock rotors. Also, sources/retailers would be great as well.

As far as brake lines go, can someone point me in the direction of a retailer who carries lines for the SC300? Has anyone had experience with the iRotors lines on eBay?

Thanks in advance. You help is much appreciated.
Old 04-25-04, 07:01 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the brake lines and pads, hit up www.tirerack.com . Im pretty sure the best lines are the Goodrich (sp?) SS lines.
Old 04-25-04, 08:27 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Kilo, goodriche lines are the same as trd but in a different box. The goodriche is mostlikely a bit cheaper cause it doesn't have the "trd" name on it.

check out horsepowerfreaks.com
Old 04-25-04, 01:57 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We sell a lot of lines plus all of the pads you mentioned, PM me if you have any more questions. Most importantly we have the hands-on experience with the vehicles themselves, plus lots and lots of customers with all different combinations of products!

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 04-25-04, 03:16 PM
claus44
Driver

I'd recommand you to stay away from axxis from my experience and I've had much better results with EBC's. But remember to get good aftermarket rotors when using EBC pads, since you stock will most likely warp with EBC.
Old 04-25-04, 05:36 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Claus44: Thats good to know. So what would you recommend as far as aftermarket pads w/ stock rotors for Street driving? Thanks.

Double woosh: Can you PM me a price quote for your different products and price points? I went to the TM Engineering site and was only able to find prices for EBC pads. Thanks.

Would anyone be able to tell me how Hawk pads work in comparison to other aftermarket pads.????
Old 04-25-04, 10:17 PM
claus44
Driver

hmm, I dunno what pads to recommand for stock rotors since I always get some better after market rotors when I change out the stock pads. If you don't have that much left on your stock rotor, then I'd recommand you to just replace them at the same time since you'll need new pads to go with new rotors anyways. If you are trying to save some $$, you can get some quality brembo and bradi blanks which are really cheap, even the x-drilled/slotted cut by reputable venders can be had for around $200~$250 for the entire set(4). You can go crazy and get the rotors from power slot as well, their plating lasts LONG and they have pretty good customer service too!
Old 04-25-04, 10:35 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny. That's exactly the opposite consensus I get here compare to the various BMW boards I've visited in the past few years.

According to most BMW owners, the Axxis Ultimate pads are the ideal street setup. EBC pads (especially Green Stuff) perform inadequately on Bimmer 3 Series because they're designed for lighter, more compact cars.

Given the fact that the SCs are even heavier than the BMW E36 3 Series, I would say that you should get more opinions from others members before making up your mind.

Jon

Originally posted by claus44
I'd recommand you to stay away from axxis from my experience and I've had much better results with EBC's. But remember to get good aftermarket rotors when using EBC pads, since you stock will most likely warp with EBC.
Old 04-25-04, 10:43 PM
claus44
Driver

I've never tried the Axxis ultimate, only the metal masters. I had the EBC setup on my Legend, and the weight difference between a Legend sedan and a SC is minimal. Not to mention the fact that Legend's pad surface, rotor size, and piston area are all smaller than SC. Another person that I know that has tried both EBC Green and Axxis pads on his Legends also claim that EBC works better on his cars.
Old 04-26-04, 12:03 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps pads for Japanese are designed differently. I have no experience with aftermarket brake pads on SCs so I am not qualified to state an opinion at all. You statements could be very right.

However, I do know that for BMWs, EBCs and Metal Masters are definitely No Nos.

Jon

Originally posted by claus44
I've never tried the Axxis ultimate, only the metal masters. I had the EBC setup on my Legend, and the weight difference between a Legend sedan and a SC is minimal. Not to mention the fact that Legend's pad surface, rotor size, and piston area are all smaller than SC. Another person that I know that has tried both EBC Green and Axxis pads on his Legends also claim that EBC works better on his cars.
Old 04-26-04, 03:46 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried the Axxis pads, so I can't comment on them, however I'm currently using the EBC Green Stuff pads on my SC. They're a definate improvement over stock, plus there's hardly any brake dust I would recommend them.
Old 04-27-04, 07:52 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Does anyone have experience with Hawk pads? Thanks.
Old 04-27-04, 08:43 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I have hawks on my supra brakes and they work great. They have a bit of brake dust but they bite hard. That maybe because of the calipers though. I never tried hawks on the stock rotors. Most supra owners use hawks or ebc so i don't think u can really go wrong with either one.
Old 04-27-04, 09:13 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Hawk pads also. I've used them for 2 years now with no problems or complaints. Good pads.

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-27-04, 01:40 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. Hawk Pads and Goorich lines it is.

WoOt!

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and brake lines