Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Latest News On Camber Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 09:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bluelex
if the price was within reason i'm sure we could get a hell of a lot more than that
But this is also an issue, what price would be within reason? For example, what if the camber kit cost $500?

For the guys who burn through tires in 6 months, and this kit gave them a year, this alone would more than pay for the kit. But is $500 a reasonable price? I've seen kits from below $100 to about $300 (depending on quality) but we are talking about markets that include Hondas, Acuras, ... that have a much bigger aftermarket scene. The Lexus market is smaller and Daizen will have to recoup R & D and production costs AND make money. Will there be enough people willing to spend $500 for this kit? For what it does, it is very useful but that cost is not chump change either.

Now I am not saying that $500 is the price for this kit. It could be more and it could be less. I'm just trying to guage how serious is the need (pretty obvious ) and the willingness to spend to alleviate this need. I've talked to Todd before and there are more issues than just the R & D. Of course, Daizen (and other good companies) strives to make the best engineered/safe product at the best consumer price point but sometimes, these don't go hand in hand. If we are looking at a $100 kit, I can almost guarantee that is not going to happen. It is one thing I (and most of you) have learned is that our car is not cheap to buy, to maintain, and to mod.
Old 05-02-04, 09:45 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I guess time (and uneven tire wear ) will only tell....thanks for your imput dave...
Old 05-02-04, 09:51 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

u'r right Neo, i met fortune at a meet here in florida and he explained that its not like they want 2 drop the camber kit just 2 have the only one on the market, he explained how they belive in quality not quanity, so i understood what he meant...i rather someone make it right not fast...but price would play a huge factor, thats why we need someone 2 step up and give a price and timeframe like Jbrady did b4 we can make a sticky like dave said..their is always hope

Last edited by bluelex; 05-02-04 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-02-04, 09:54 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Neo
But this is also an issue, what price would be within reason? For example, what if the camber kit cost $500?

For the guys who burn through tires in 6 months, and this kit gave them a year, this alone would more than pay for the kit. But is $500 a reasonable price? I've seen kits from below $100 to about $300 (depending on quality) but we are talking about markets that include Hondas, Acuras, ... that have a much bigger aftermarket scene. The Lexus market is smaller and Daizen will have to recoup R & D and production costs AND make money. Will there be enough people willing to spend $500 for this kit? For what it does, it is very useful but that cost is not chump change either.

Now I am not saying that $500 is the price for this kit. It could be more and it could be less. I'm just trying to guage how serious is the need (pretty obvious ) and the willingness to spend to alleviate this need. I've talked to Todd before and there are more issues than just the R & D. Of course, Daizen (and other good companies) strives to make the best engineered/safe product at the best consumer price point but sometimes, these don't go hand in hand. If we are looking at a $100 kit, I can almost guarantee that is not going to happen. It is one thing I (and most of you) have learned is that our car is not cheap to buy, to maintain, and to mod.
Neo, you make an excellent point but also whether a person wants to spend $500 on a kit or 5-600 on tires it's the same thing and which purchase will end up saving you money???Thats the real question which has an obvious answer. some of the things that we buy for our cars are just wants but when it comes fixing uneven tire wear that is a neccesity to fix opposed to buying a spoiler or grill and those items aren't cheap either..I understand that sometimes there isn't interest in a product that is mass produced but when it comes to a product that can only be bought from one place, it becomes a sought after item especially when it is needed...
Old 05-02-04, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will speak from an objective point of view about the kits (if they are made available) so you guys can have more idea about it, whether it's worth it and how you guys wanna persue.

the kits itself shoudn't be THAT expensive i believe. again this is subjective and i won't go into details on the definition of reasonable, i think that's pretty pointless. to me as long as i can save my tires it's worthy, consider that a set of tires is 1k easy (and i get new tires every yr).

however, keep in mind, the install might be pretty hefty too. again i can't say too much about how it works and stuff, but i believe the install wont' be insignificant. what i am trying to say is instead of just focusing on the price of the kits, you should prepared for the price of installation as well

but my bottom line, if daizen does come out with the thing, i will most likely get it sooner or later (depending on my paycheck). to me it's a long term thing. if i am selling my car in a yr, it might not worth it. but i am keeping my car, and if you guys think about the money you spend on all the tires for your 19s and 20s, i thinkthe price of the kits is well worth it.

seems like some people here are interested and even willing to put in deposits. i will try to talk to todd and see if daizen is willing to set anything up. (and of course you gusy know my postiion )
Old 05-03-04, 02:23 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I'm all for them, if it was up to me they'd already be made.

This is where my "help" with the whole shebang doesn't do a whole lot of good =|

Speaking of shebang...have any of you called this number? 818 633 9638
Old 05-03-04, 05:17 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume bimmer and benz's have camber kits for their cars, how much do they go for? Trying to get an idea on price range. On here alone, I see quite a few GS owners that are willing to buy it, but then again like someone mentioned, talking is very different from actually doing it. Spending money every few months for new rubber is not fun.
Old 05-03-04, 06:05 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

According to this website

http://www.lexus-parts.com

It looks like you can get a camber kit for the GS400 from Daizen...

Go to "Shop by Model" - I went to 1998 GS300/GS400
Go to L-Tuned parts

$129 for the front kit
$129 for the rear kit

I thought this wasn't out yet... I am not currently in the market for this but thought there were a few threads scattered about concerning lowering effecting alignment.
Old 05-03-04, 09:20 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
i will speak from an objective point of view about the kits (if they are made available) so you guys can have more idea about it, whether it's worth it and how you guys wanna persue.

the kits itself shoudn't be THAT expensive i believe. again this is subjective and i won't go into details on the definition of reasonable, i think that's pretty pointless. to me as long as i can save my tires it's worthy, consider that a set of tires is 1k easy (and i get new tires every yr).

however, keep in mind, the install might be pretty hefty too. again i can't say too much about how it works and stuff, but i believe the install wont' be insignificant. what i am trying to say is instead of just focusing on the price of the kits, you should prepared for the price of installation as well

but my bottom line, if daizen does come out with the thing, i will most likely get it sooner or later (depending on my paycheck). to me it's a long term thing. if i am selling my car in a yr, it might not worth it. but i am keeping my car, and if you guys think about the money you spend on all the tires for your 19s and 20s, i thinkthe price of the kits is well worth it.

seems like some people here are interested and even willing to put in deposits. i will try to talk to todd and see if daizen is willing to set anything up. (and of course you gusy know my postiion )
I'm glad your getting in on this thread and maybe there will more members willing to get this camber kit and possibly willing to make deposits in order to get this kit completed..hopefully this will spark more interest...
Old 05-03-04, 11:25 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If the price for the kit is $129.99 for the front and $129.99 for the rear count me in for a $100 deposit. As long as its under $500.00 for the front and rear I would pay the deposit as long as they release it by the end of July.
Old 05-03-04, 01:50 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GammaLex
If the price for the kit is $129.99 for the front and $129.99 for the rear count me in for a $100 deposit. As long as its under $500.00 for the front and rear I would pay the deposit as long as they release it by the end of July.

I'm with gamma on this one. I am pretty sure if someone can contact Daizen and we can have an agreement where they produce it if we can put together a collection of deposits, we can get at least 35+ GS owners in, I for one would be absolutely in if it was under 500 dollars.
Old 05-03-04, 02:16 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can someone please tell me what exactly is the purpose of a camber kit?? is it so your tires dont feather when you drop the car?? thanks
Old 05-03-04, 04:04 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default purpose of kit...

When you lower your car the tires tilt inward and cause what is negative camber..This neg. camber will cause in some cases really bad tire wear and can become very costly..The gs has some kind of camber adjustment but it can only do so much and that is why we need this kit to be made..Anybody who has lowered their car can and will benefit fromm this..This is not a mod, but a smart and neccesary addition to your suspension that will save you alot of money in the long run..Do the math, how much do 19-20" tires cost each and how many sets would you go through a year because of neg. camber.You can only flip tires so many times and the risk of a shop scratching your wheels is also a concern for me also..Hope this explains what a camber kit does and the importance of having it made...

Last edited by johnee78; 05-03-04 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-03-04, 04:24 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so if im getting the l-tuned setup installed like next week, i would need this ?? thanks
Old 05-03-04, 04:35 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by varcity64
so if im getting the l-tuned setup installed like next week, i would need this ?? thanks
Varcity: No, the ltuned drop is not enough to put the car in any dangerous camber.

Quick Reply: Latest News On Camber Kit?