Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunk, clunk, clunk ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 08:02 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clunk, clunk, clunk ...

I had Supra TT springs & shocks installed last week (along with new upper mounts). Everything seemed fine so far, but today I started to notice a "clunking" sound, which appears to come from the engine bay, driver's side. The noise occurs at irregular intervals, mostly during (left?) turns and over bumps, holes etc., but not always.

I have a few other issues as well (vibrations at low rpm, jerking under low power at speeds around 40-70mph, see my previous post for this) and have been advised to change the engine and tranny mounts. As I have to order the parts from overseas (they're either not available in my country, or only at outrageous prices), I'd like to make sure that I have all I need to fix all these problems.

Do you think that clunking sound could be the result of bad mounts as well? What about bushings? Any other idea what could have gone wrong during spring / shock installation that could cause this? Installation appears to be fine though, ride quality and alignment are perfect.

I'm determined to fix all these issues, so please, anything you can come up with will be helpful.

Thanks,
Diego
Old 05-04-04, 09:37 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i had the this same noise @ one point.... check your stabalizer bar bushings and end links. after i changed my suspension to tein cs coilovers, this noise came about almost instantly. i think with everthing being new, the stress just relocated to the nearest weak point of the suspension ie: stabalizer bar bushings and end links.
hope this helps...
Old 05-04-04, 09:56 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

I had the exact same problem...

1 Sway bar link. Its a $50 item, depending on how corroded it is down there, they may have to torch off the old bolts to install this one.

2 Your spring isnt seated properly. It tends to clunk on acceleration, rapid decelleration, some turning. It cost be 1.5 hours of labor for them to remove the strut assembly and put it back in.
Old 05-05-04, 02:16 AM
qmtran
Driver

i think its the spring not being seated correctly. i had the same problem, but the shop fixed it. the supra springs are shorter then the sc's so when you turn/hit deep holes/bumbs, it'll clunk as u say. just have your shop look at it. you might need to have your shop install that spring bumpstop/cushion??? that orange piece that came off your sc's suspension. orange in back, black front? my noise came from the rear. so they modified the piece to fit my suspension. hope i help. good luck. btw...is your car lowered or did u get oem supra stuff?
Old 05-05-04, 02:50 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Thanks for your posts.

@ SC400-V8 & nextlevelcoupe: How did you fix the problem? Did you replace the parts in question?

@ qmtran: I even ordered new bumb stops along with the other parts, so I hope they installed them . Anyway, I'll check that again. I got OEM Supra springs and shocks, so it's almost stock height. My guess is it's maybe .5 inches lower now.

I'm in the middle of putting together a shopping list of things I want to replace asap. So far, I plan to get:

- Supra LCA's (to take care of the bushings and the ball joints)
- Vlamos steering rack, front upper control arm and rear upper control arm bushes
- (Supra?) engine and transmission mounts

My '93 is at approx. 130k miles now, and I just decided against selling it in favour of doing a major "refresher". I guess I should just add those links and bushes to my shopping list. Anything else while I'm at it?
Old 05-05-04, 05:28 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

yes,i replaced those parts in question

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 05-05-04 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-08-04, 11:07 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your drivers side motor mount