Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Coilovers...JIC FLT-A2 -Good Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 04:04 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Coilovers...JIC FLT-A2 -Good Choice?

It's about time to get some coilovers...I'm really interested in the JIC FLT-A2. I just want to make sure there isn't anything I should know about them BEFORE I purchase them. And also, where can I get the best price? I think Carson has them for $14-1500. This price is lower than anywhere I've been able to find, but is there a better price somewhere else? I have a reseller's license if that helps at all.
Old 05-11-04, 04:49 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: Need Coilovers...JIC FLT-A2 -Good Choice?

Originally posted by SilverLexo
It's about time to get some coilovers...I'm really interested in the JIC FLT-A2. I just want to make sure there isn't anything I should know about them BEFORE I purchase them. And also, where can I get the best price? I think Carson has them for $14-1500. This price is lower than anywhere I've been able to find, but is there a better price somewhere else? I have a reseller's license if that helps at all.
Go for tein cs. Jic's are too sporty..
Old 05-11-04, 09:45 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FLTA2's are great...just like a good hooker. they are whatever you want them to be.
Old 05-11-04, 09:46 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by retrodrive
FLTA2's are great...just like a good hooker. they are whatever you want them to be.
Damn, in that case... I'm trading in my TEINS! haha
Old 05-11-04, 09:50 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

JIC are great choice, if you are the driver type. Tein CS if you dont want a hardcore driver's ride but would like to be lower than your average car, but also a great choice.
Teins are great in that you can get the EDFC to adjust the damping. I would go with the Teins or JIC. Tough call! Good luck!
Old 05-11-04, 09:57 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm.....where is rominl on this one???

I heard JIC FLT-A2 is very good in handling but a bit too stiff
Old 05-11-04, 10:12 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Hmm.....where is rominl on this one???

I heard JIC FLT-A2 is very good in handling but a bit too stiff
I decided on teins based on rominl's thread and other peoples experiences.
Old 05-11-04, 10:30 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tein CS with the EDFC and all I can say is that it's been the best suspension setup if you like that luxury feel. Rominl had the Tein Flex and sold it for the Tein CS.. Cong28 also had the Flex and sold it for the CS. It just comes down to your driving style. The JIC FLT-A2 is a great coilover setup but it does ride like the Tein Flex... Stiff but takes corners like no other....

It's a diificult choice so you have to ask yourself, "what's your driving style" Good luck....
Old 05-11-04, 10:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo
I decided on teins based on rominl's thread and other peoples experiences.
The tricky part is to find someone who has driven enough in both. rominl gave good feedback in that thread concerning HA, Flex, and CS since he has lived with those systems. I added my take on L-Tuned, Flex, and CS since I have lived with these. Neither of us have had extensive daily driving with JICs though. I'm only saying this just in case rominl has driven a car with JICs. I have not.

You can try and look at the damping numbers but even that's hard to tell. For example, the spring rates for the Flex are 10/9 and CS are 9/8. Only one unit difference but I can tell you the ride is totally different.

Both JICs and Tein make nice components and either one would be a good investment. I am hesitant to say which is a better system though until I can drive a car with JICs in them. Sometimes, one ride is enough but often times it takes some daily driving to get a true indication of the parts.

SilverLexo, if you are interested in the JICs and have done enough research into the benefits, I say go for them. I assume that you have done similar research on the Teins and is convinced that the Teins are not for you. I cannot recall anything bad in terms of quality so you should be OK there.

Good luck & enjoy when it gets here.
Old 05-12-04, 01:26 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I have had my JIC's for almost a year now, and all I can say is very Satisfied!!! from the moment I put them on!!! I still have the stock rims and tires but they ride so nice!!! My women didnt even realized I changed the suspension until I told her about 4 months later, thats how smooth it is!! very good quality craftsmanship!!! very well made. Of course there other brands out there that are cheaper, but seriously I dont if they can even match the ride quality of the JIC. I used to have the fully adjustable GAB's on my 2000 Civic Si, but these are by far way better quality than even those!! and the GAB's were like 1800.00. If you can get them, then GET THEM, well worth the money. I even think the manufacturer is US based, so any questions you can directly get a hold of them. the JIC's are only for a cars: Lexus, Subaru's and I think Mazda. by the way I just have the JIC Sf-1's. and no complaints. thanks
Old 05-12-04, 04:54 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Lettuce
I have had my JIC's for almost a year now, and all I can say is very Satisfied!!! from the moment I put them on!!! I still have the stock rims and tires but they ride so nice!!! My women didnt even realized I changed the suspension until I told her about 4 months later, thats how smooth it is!!
Lettuce just to shed a little light on your input, the stock wheels account for a VERY large part of that comfort. Those tall sidewalls can make alot of difference. Even when I had 1st Gen with Intrax springs/ KYB struts, a return to the stock wheels netted a almost stock ride, even in the rough streets of Brooklyn. I really could not believe how well the car rode! Seriously.

Just my .02

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 05-12-04 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 05:56 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Wheres manaray when you need him???? I have not ridin on the JIC but I have tried the tein cs on both a first gen and second gen gs..I have to agree that the ride is very much close to stock even with 19's or 20's..it breaks down to what you want from your suspension..Performance and a little ride discomfort or mainly looks and some performance and comfort..The teins are easier to adjust than the JIC's and like it was mentioned before the edfc,which can adjust the damper from the inside of your car..Good luck..
Old 05-12-04, 09:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Lettuce just to shed a little light on your input, the stock wheels account for a VERY large part of that comfort. Those tall sidewalls can make alot of difference. Even when I had 1st Gen with Intrax springs/ KYB struts, a return to the stock wheels netted a almost stock ride, even in the rough streets of Brooklyn. I really could not believe how well the car rode!
Old 05-13-04, 12:24 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the input... I have 20's. Would either coilover be able to go lower than the other and keep good camber??
Old 05-15-04, 02:23 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up JICMAGIC FLT2-A coilovers

i've got the JIC FLT2-A's and i'm riding on 17" wheels.

i've got the damping set at 12 front and 10 rear with 15 being max. my wife thinks i've lost all of the lexus comfy cushy ride. we both have 1999 GS400. she has kept the stock shocks so i can tell the difference very easily.

i want my car to go thru the twisties like crazy. and the car will go faster thru curves than i have the nuts to do. the JIC MAGIC FLT2-A's were the final piece of the puzzle of the loose rear end of the GS400. previously i added all of the Toms braces and the Daizon sways. each of the braces and the sways helped to get the loose rear end under control but it really did not stay planted until the coilovers were installed.

the JIC MAGIC FLT2-A's are very well made. they are stiff and are for those who care more about handling than comfort. personally i don't find the comfort that bad but wifey does. i did hear from manaray and others that larger wheels would make the comfort level worse.

my one gripe is that they are a pain in the @ss to adjust the height. but once they were set i have not felt the need to change the height.

it is very easy to change the damping. i did try a number of settings and wound up with what it is now. i might try taking it all the way to max just to see what that is like.

i would not hesitate to recommend them.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 05-15-04 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Coilovers...JIC FLT-A2 -Good Choice?