Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS 4-piston Brake setup for my SC4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 07:34 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by WhiteGsr
Alright got my LS brakes on pedal is spongy seems to be a common issue. Is this a solvable problem, or just have to deal with it issue? All the old brake fluid was bled out and new was added in. Bled twice by machine, new pads new rotors, SS lines. Rears are still stock, but also new pads and SS lines.
Were your LS400 brakes rebuilt, new, or are they used?
Old 07-12-09, 09:56 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

Ok let's say they are used
Old 07-12-09, 10:20 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhiteGsr
Ok let's say they are used
another cl member mentioned that rebuilding them fixes all the mushiness, maybe you should try it too!
Old 07-12-09, 10:28 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

THat's just odd to me, having to rebuild 11 year old calipers. I had a 96 integra and never had to rebuild the caliper, my stocks are 12 years old and don't need a rebuild. Just weed, but thanks for the info I'll keep it in the back of my bad if push comes to shove and that's the only option that I haven't don't then I'll do it
Old 07-12-09, 10:42 PM
RANDY P
Driver

If they aren't stuck then there's no reason to rebuild. Can't see how that will eliminate mushiess unless you got them burned up to begin with.

It sounds like these calipers bolt up, but the MC in the our cars isn't big enough to supply fluid to this caliper- piston area for the MC is probably too small. Henceforth the mushy pedal -

Tell me, is it a longer stroke to engage the calipers? You may stop when you mash the pedal, but it's a long, mushy feel and your brake feel (modulation) is probably for schit now..

Frankly it sounds like a different MC is required for this to work properly..If this is the case why would anyone want to do this? It's unsafe.

I'm honestly curious, not a flame - it sounds like more times than not this winds up with mushy pedal, and some of you have gone to some extreme measures to make sure there's no air in the system.

Has ANYONE done this mod without creating a weird pedal? Meaning, if you were not trying to panic stop does it feel like stock?

Last edited by RANDY P; 07-12-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 10:50 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

The MC is what I was thinking because of the bigger calipers. Also is there a proportion valve, could that be it also if there is one? It's just a WAY long stroke before it engages, but once it does it bites hard.

Reason I ask about a proportion valve is when I did a ABS delete on my Integra I had to swap out the proportion valve from a non ABS integra, but not the MC
Old 07-12-09, 11:17 PM
RANDY P
Driver

I've seen this before - on Porsche 911 dudes swap in calipers off a 930 turbo and unless you swap the MC this is what happens exactly...

The only cure was the larger piston area off the 930 MC, or the MC off a Mercedes delivery truck...

rjup
Old 07-12-09, 11:21 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

Originally Posted by RANDY P
I've seen this before - on Porsche 911 dudes swap in calipers off a 930 turbo and unless you swap the MC this is what happens exactly...

The only cure was the larger piston area off the 930 MC, or the MC off a Mercedes delivery truck...

rjup
so you your guess is that, swapping MC's is the only fix?
Old 07-12-09, 11:25 PM
RANDY P
Driver

if that's what's going on- if no one has done this without this issue then I suspect that it. I was thinking about doing this to my SC, but not if this is supposed to happen..
Old 07-12-09, 11:30 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

The plan is to do one more bleeding tomorrow, and doing some weird trick that involves the ebrake while bleeding (don't ask, I'm curious myself), my cousin claims he has done this on other cars so we'll see, something with pushing the fluid back to the front and something something. Ill let you guys know what's up! If that doesn't work it's gonna have to be the MC. If someone reads this and has done the swap and got rid of the long pedal travel or never got the pedal travel please chime in.
Old 07-12-09, 11:32 PM
RANDY P
Driver

+1 I'm curious...

I'd like to do this swap but not if this is what it does..

rjp
Old 07-13-09, 07:22 PM
RANDY P
Driver

It's not fluid capacity, it's fluid displacement vs. stroke. A larger bore MC will increase fluid movement per distance traveled (stroke), shortening the stroke required to engage the calipers.

Swapping the rears isn't gonna do anything to this issue, just make it worse.

2nd thing, these are ABS cars,stopping distance isn't going to improve since the braking threshold is limited by ABS operation- in stock form we can kick in the ABS anywhere, anytime- so "Bite" isn't really a valid observation. The only possible gain is increased thermal capacity (the amount of use before brake fade kicks in) and that's only applicable during track use.

Really, is there anyone out there tracking the car hard enough to require this?

Last edited by RANDY P; 07-13-09 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 07:34 PM
RANDY P
Driver

ONE LAST THING TO CHECK:

Are the bleeder screws at the top or the bottom of the caliper when you installed them on the car?

(HINT: they had better not be facing down)
Old 07-13-09, 07:53 PM
WhiteGsr
Driver

Alright well it sounds like this "old school trick with the ebrake" worked. Ill let you guys know after I pick up the car
Old 07-13-09, 08:07 PM
RANDY P
Driver

yeah, let us know..

Quick Reply: LS 4-piston Brake setup for my SC4