Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big brake guys - fluid choice (ATE Super Blue or Motul)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 10:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Default Big brake guys - fluid choice (ATE Super Blue or Motul)?

I've done a search for old threads on this topic but can''t find a detailed head-to-head comparison anywhere on ClubLexus.

When I mentioned I was planning to use Motul for my new brake upgrade, somebody said that ATE Super Blue would be better if I'm not doing 'pure track' because its longer lasting and more absorbant. The Motul is very good and has a high(er?) boiling point, but it gets 'wetter' sooner than the ATE. From what I've read they're both synthetic.

From web research I've done:
Fluid is very important, and many people over look this category. DOT 3 rated fluid is pretty good, however for the street enthusiast, it’s recommended that DOT 4 or DOT 4/5 fluid be used. These higher rated brake fluids are important because they tend to resist moisture entering the system better than DOT 3, and also can take heat much better than DOT 3. Stock fluids tend to be DOT 3 rated, with Motul RBF600 rated at DOT 4, and Ate Super Blue Racing rated at DOT 4/5 as easy upgrades.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/archive/i...hp/t-5920.html

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...?threadid=293.

ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid has a dry boiling point of over 530 degrees F, far exceeding DOT 4 standards. Mixes with any other DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. Super Blue absorbs moisture very slowly, so you don't have to change it as often as many high-performance fluids. Great for your street car that sees weekend track duty.
Couple of good related threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ate+super+blue

----------------------------------------------------------------------
After all this research, I'm leaning towards ATF Super Blue but thought I'd give one final shout out for any personal experiences on our GS w/ big brakes.

Since this stuff comes in Liter cans, I'll need two liters right (about 1 1/2 liter to fill)?
Old 05-28-04, 11:40 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Big brake guys - fluid choice (ATE Super Blue or Motul)?

I use the motul, but not because of any in-depth research. I was not aware of the Super Blue when I got my brakes installed. Don't think you can go wrong with either, though.

Last edited by redgs4; 05-28-04 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have motul but also not by comparison, that's the only one people recommended me to
Old 05-28-04, 05:20 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

dave

i use ate super blue and have always used it in my past bmw's.. boiling point is more then suff for even the toughest street driver .. porche , bmw,ferr,lambo,and mercedes all run this standard in europe..

the blue color is also great when bleeding and you know immed when and if dirt gets in somewhere for you will see the discolored blue
Old 05-17-07, 08:06 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumpin up an old thread but that's the point of searching right?
I know the ATE super blue says it is safe to put in DOT3 systems, but is it ok since Lexus only recommends DOT3?

I can see that the ATE is a DOT4 fluid: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Blue-Rac.../dp/B0007SN6F6
Old 05-17-07, 10:23 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I've used both the Motul and the ATE and for me there is a noticeable difference between the two. I prefer the Motul for a firmer pedal feel. When it comes time I will be switching back to the Motul from the ATE.

In theory there could be problems but I've noticed none and have been running DOT 4 for many years now. Stay away from DOT 5 but I've had no issues and don't know of anyone that has had issues with the DOT 3 to DOT 4 switch.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 05-17-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-18-07, 08:23 AM
Brennan401
Driver

In Modified Mag this month, they talk about fluids. The one they have found to be the best is Endless RF 650. It has a dry boiling point of 615 and a wet boiling point of 425. Those are big numbers more than Motul.

The only problem is I can't find it and would love to try it. Need it before I start my BBK install. Anyone.......
Old 05-18-07, 11:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Castrol SRF exists here but contaminates really quick especially up here at 7,000 feet plus. Motul does exist here, but the guys at my local track who use it also complain about it getting dark quickly. ATE also exists, but I haven't heard comments.
Old 03-08-08, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Henry, Mr. Johnson, so you did use synthetics then? B/C I'm reading about AP Racing fluid and they use non-synthetic.

Good ole search!

Edit:
Never mind, still researching, lol. Probably just go with what yall do.

Last edited by LexFather; 03-08-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-09-08, 07:24 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Mike, stick with the ATE super blue or the Type 200. Same stuff but one has blue dye in it and the other don't. I've used ATE in all of the cars I've had along with my friends and it hasn't dissappoint me yet. I still have 7 liters sitting in the garage...
Old 02-18-10, 11:49 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Just to make sure of one thing. Is ATE (both blue and amber) are safe to use with abs? That's the most important thing to me.
Old 02-19-10, 06:21 AM
yunGtrd
Rookie

Originally Posted by NIXmx
Just to make sure of one thing. Is ATE (both blue and amber) are safe to use with abs? That's the most important thing to me.

Yes...........
Old 02-19-10, 06:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by NIXmx
Yes they are. And to clarify for folks who don't know that ATE makes two colors of brake fluid, but its the same formula (one blue, one gold). The purpose in doing that is so when you're bleeding your brakes you know when the new fresh fluid is coming out.
Old 02-19-10, 07:15 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Can't go wrong with either. I bleed frequently and use RBF600, good bang for the buck, so the fluid is always pretty fresh, but for those that don't bleed much the ATE is nice because of the color change.
Old 02-19-10, 08:39 AM
doramon
Rookie

i am using Project U...hope that helps...u could get Endless oil from Japan direct though

Quick Reply: Big brake guys - fluid choice (ATE Super Blue or Motul)?