Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD strut tower bar fitment problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 10:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally posted by engin_ear
Is it true that you can't get the engine cover on/off with the TRD STB on??? It looks to me like you can sneak it under, but I may be wrong.
You can get it off, but its not easy you have to bend it (to the point it may crack - mine did). I'd say take the STB off.
Old 06-02-04, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah take off the bar to take off the cover
Old 06-02-04, 12:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the engine get much dirtier wthout the cover on? I'm not sure why I'd want to leave the cover on if you have to take the bar off every time you want to get to the engine....any good reason?
Old 06-02-04, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Does the engine get much dirtier wthout the cover on? I'm not sure why I'd want to leave the cover on if you have to take the bar off every time you want to get to the engine....any good reason?
well it depends on how often you need to touch the engine?! i don't touch it much at all so it's ok

the engine cover is for cosmetic and a bit noise reduction i think, so...
Old 06-02-04, 01:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Is that GOOD noise or BAD noise reduction???
Old 06-02-04, 01:57 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I remove my front strut bar before bringing my car to the dealer, too. One less thing that can go wrong. And one less thing they can charge you for...
Old 06-02-04, 03:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
Yep, I remove my front strut bar before bringing my car to the dealer, too. One less thing that can go wrong. And one less thing they can charge you for...
wait, why again? the bar doesn't affect the oil change? or am i missing something? the only time i took it off was when i install the new plugs, and of course i got contacts on that so...
Old 06-02-04, 03:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Is that GOOD noise or BAD noise reduction???
hahaha, if you have an intake, i am sure it doesn't matter anymore
Old 06-02-04, 08:40 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flexing is definitely the issue - I'm having the same problem right now. There's no way that the struts themselves are off due to mounting, the strut towers (body) have moved/flexed.
I need to get the mounting studs to move away from center and toward the outside of the car to get the STB to drop onto them. Looks like I need to jack the car underneath from the center so that the wheels fall outward and pull the panels and suspension outward. Need to find jack point for underneath GS in center.
Doesn't all this mean that if you have to do this to begin with, that when you take your car in to the dealer to be serviced, they may not be able to get it off, and then will refuse to work on it????? Anybody have this happen to them yet????
Is it true that you can't get the engine cover on/off with the TRD STB on??? It looks to me like you can sneak it under, but I may be wrong.
no not definitly ..see if it where the strut towers (body) that have moved/flexed then the mounting holes would have no room for play at all and mine do/did, i was at a shop today and asked them for there feed back and they said its not from flex thats for sure .

to add if mine where from flex the strut towers (body) would have room for play as well and they dont ...
so not all issues point to body flexed.

but non the less all feed back is good as it helps point out other options on problems.
Old 06-03-04, 07:46 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RanGer498
[B]no not definitly ..see if it where the strut towers (body) that have moved/flexed then the mounting holes would have no room for play at all and mine do/did, i was at a shop today and asked them for there feed back and they said its not from flex thats for sure .

*I'm not getting your point., sorry, but maybe I'm missing something. Most people that had this problem have gotten the bar to fit by jacking up the car and causing the body to flex (in the opposite direction). Since that is the case, the body is prone to flex, and this is what causes the problem to begin with, assuming that cars that are coming out of the factory are dead-on. Ideally the STB just drops onto your strut tower studs - there's enough play in the mounting holes of the STB. When this can't happen, the car was either not built right from the factory (not likely!), or the body assembly has flexed. If the body was stiff enough, all STB's would drop right on all the time. I don't think there is enough play in the factory mounting of the strut assembly to be very far off.

to add if mine where from flex the strut towers (body) would have room for play as well and they dont ...

*What room for play are you referring to? It is the body flex that takes away the room for play.
Old 06-03-04, 04:01 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

[QUOTE]Originally posted by engin_ear
[B]
Originally posted by RanGer498
no not definitly ..see if it where the strut towers (body) that have moved/flexed then the mounting holes would have no room for play at all and mine do/did, i was at a shop today and asked them for there feed back and they said its not from flex thats for sure .

*I'm not getting your point., sorry, but maybe I'm missing something. Most people that had this problem have gotten the bar to fit by jacking up the car and causing the body to flex (in the opposite direction). Since that is the case, the body is prone to flex, and this is what causes the problem to begin with, assuming that cars that are coming out of the factory are dead-on. Ideally the STB just drops onto your strut tower studs - there's enough play in the mounting holes of the STB. When this can't happen, the car was either not built right from the factory (not likely!), or the body assembly has flexed. If the body was stiff enough, all STB's would drop right on all the time. I don't think there is enough play in the factory mounting of the strut assembly to be very far off.

*What room for play are you referring to? It is the body flex that takes away the room for play.
Ideally(if this where a perfect world) the STB does just drops onto the strut tower studs - there's enough play in the mounting holes of the STB. When this can't happen, the car was either not built right from the factory (not likely!), or the body assembly has flexed or the strut tower studs HAVE MOVED A TAD BIT
i need to restate what i said thow .."i dont think flexing is the issue ,its more as how the sturts where installed from the factory."as it did not come out right ..what i meant to say was that i dont think flexing is always the issue its more as how the sturts where installed from the factory or how they have mabe moved a bit over time.

like i stated and some stated they jacked the car up and kicked the tire to allow the struts studs to move a tad bit to allow the strut bar to go over the studs,by just jacking the car up mine did not go in to allow the strut bar to go over the studs (mabe because i jacked it up on a lift so i did not really give the body a chance to flex like you state.)...and yes there is enough play for the strut studs to be off . mine was off by a hairline .

if you think there is not enough room for play on the strut studs you need to look at them closely .
and yes the strut bar does have enough play in the mounting holes to allow for body flex but it does not compensate for the struts studs total movements.

i understand your point but you need to understand mine as well.
Attached Thumbnails TRD strut tower bar fitment problems?-gs400strut-studsa.jpg  

Last edited by RanGer498; 06-03-04 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 07:22 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Thanks for the picture. I see your point from the picture. I'll bet that your studs vs. STB are not as far off as mine - they are so far off that it can't be from only the play in the strut mounting holes. I need to get the struts to move about 1/4" to 1/2".
Old 06-04-04, 05:58 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Thanks for the picture. I see your point from the picture. I'll bet that your studs vs. STB are not as far off as mine - they are so far off that it can't be from only the play in the strut mounting holes. I need to get the struts to move about 1/4" to 1/2".
for mine to fit i just need a tad little bit to go in. i mean i could have forced it in but ..im sure thats not the right way to do it ..