Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Per request - pics of Lexus front bushings - Courtesy EuroJulian

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 05:22 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by siniquezu
lol you guys are so fickle.
Old 06-09-04, 06:04 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by EUROJulian
This is personal choice question everybody has to answer for themselfs. Personaly I keep my toyotas oryginal and do not use aftermarket parts at all. None, nada.

(I may have to make an exeption for the swaybars on SC though....)

Secondly on the durability issiue. Rear bushing (most problematic one) is totaly reengineered and look really impresive compared to old one.
let me confirm this... these are lexus replacement bushings from a 1997 sc400 installed on a pre 1997 sc400??
Old 06-09-04, 07:05 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
let me confirm this... these are lexus replacement bushings from a 1997 sc400 installed on a pre 1997 sc400??
Yep. That's what EUROJulian is attempting. Lexus is now offering the bushings separately. This is HUGE as the only alternative we had previously was to buy the entire control arm if we wanted to keep the car original. If he's successful I plan to go this route.
Old 06-10-04, 11:47 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Not sure if it was mentioned before in the thread so if it has I'm sorry, but what about the upper control arm bushings ? are they available too ?
Old 06-10-04, 12:48 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe the uppers have been discussed in this thread. From what I understand the lowers get all the action which is why they go out first, the uppers are usually still in good condition. Also, swapping out the uppers for urethane ones WILL degrade ride quality a bit. That's what I was told by an installer.
Old 06-11-04, 04:09 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I have a been a bit slow on catching up with the "replacement bushes" thread but I too would have jumped in with very a big stick, EUROjulian was basking in the delight of having first hand knowledge about this subject but failing to disseminate the information (for whatever reason), I feel sure had I got involved with the original thread I would have lost another life (possibly my last one) on Club Lexus.

Julian, I will say "Well Done" for the findings but you could have handled it a little better and not angered so many of your peers on Club Lexus by your reticence to provide the full information until vredniykot had made some headway into this matter.

Last edited by London Bill; 06-11-04 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 04:13 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Replacement upper arm bushes both Front & Rear suspension components are available from Andrew Vlamos, as are replacement bushes for the rear lower arm, these are as close as possible to the factory spec and not the solid poly/nolothane types which do have issues with lubrication to prevent creaking.
Old 06-11-04, 04:24 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Talking this thread = teh win!

Cool story Hansel...
Old 06-12-04, 10:39 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by London Bill

Julian, I will say "Well Done" for the findings but you could have handled it a little better and not angered so many of your peers on Club Lexus by your reticence to provide the full information until vredniykot had made some headway into this matter.

Please keep this thread strictly to the bushing facts.

Bill, you are free to start own thread on Julians "shortcomings in handling" I do not mind, just do not side track here.

I do things my own way, like it or not. I share my info and knowledge to the extend I see fit. All I ask you all to do in return is to accept it .
Please do not polute my threds everytime I come with new one, some people can actualy benefit from.

As I said before(!), full information is not aviable yet, unless I missed something and anybody else compleated the mod? But I think not yet.
I`m waiting on TT spring set I`m getting from the CL member to complete my suspension upgrade...

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-12-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-12-04, 03:46 PM
SCV8
Instructor

A year ago when I asked the dealer parts guy if I could get bushings, and he told me "only for '97 and newer", I figured that it was just an improvement over the old design.
I really didn't want to put that kind of $ into old 120K mile, worn out control arms, and went with Supra units instead.
If you're having problems, and don't have alot of $, I would only bother replacing the rear bushing; the front ones hardly wear.
Old 06-13-04, 04:24 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Please keep this thread strictly to the bushing facts.

Bill, you are free to start own thread on Julians "shortcomings in handling" I do not mind, just do not side track here.

I do things my own way, like it or not. I share my info and knowledge to the extend I see fit. All I ask you all to do in return is to accept it .
Please do not polute my threds everytime I come with new one, some people can actualy benefit from.

EURO julian;

I must be having a good day, you get a free ride on this one, dont think I will be so complacent in future.
Old 06-13-04, 10:14 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by SCV8
If you're having problems, and don't have alot of $, I would only bother replacing the rear bushing; the front ones hardly wear.

Well I can`t confirm that. On control arms I did rear ones were completly gone. Front ones looked OK at first glance but after closer examination rubber separation from inner sleve was evident (stick pry bar into inner sleve and work it side to side...)
Question I have is why to leave problematic part in (with 100k on it or so..).
Cost of that job for most of you is mainly labor, why to skip something just to risk going back in the same place later? Fix it right the first time, save money.
Old 06-13-04, 12:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by London Bill
EURO julian;

I must be having a good day, you get a free ride on this one, dont think I will be so complacent in future.
Don't think I will be so complacent in the future either

Bill and others, please stick to the topic of the bushings. How Julian rolled out the information is water under the bridge and he's trying to share information with other members now. Let's not keep going back to the rocky start over and over. Get over it.
Old 06-14-04, 12:37 AM
vlamos
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 -V8

SC400 -V8

Can you please email me I sent you PM no response ?

Vlamos@bigpond.net.au
Old 06-15-04, 12:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Julian, have you had time to put the arms back on the car yet? I'm anxious to hear the results...I want to do this repair asap!

Quick Reply: Per request - pics of Lexus front bushings - Courtesy EuroJulian