Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Per request - pics of Lexus front bushings - Courtesy EuroJulian

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04 | 10:56 AM
ONe21
Driver

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Since the "other guy" is alredy posting the numbers, only half of it and wrong on the top of that, ( exact thing I was trying to avoid here ...) I may as well post numbers so you do not get runned alround at the dealers.
Numbers checked out OK, and since today I have both sets of bushings in my hands.

Info on bushings: Bushings are made for `97 and up SC there are two different bushings front and rear, with different numbers:

Front: 48654-24040

Rear: 48655-24050

I`m not posting my list prices since it is up to particular dealers in your area. Front ones should go alroud $50 a piece. rear ones alround $60.

Important to know for owners of cars made before `97. I will check the fit of the bushings on my ctrl arms and post the findings sometimes later. Any of the unpatient crowd is ordering those on their own risk at this point.

Front bushings look the same like ones in my ctrl arms, rear bushing are redesiged, made to be much stronger. It APPEAR that prospect of fitting in pre `97 are good, I will keep you posted.............

Edited June29 `04:
It is official EURO mod now. Those bushings work great in all SCs, `92 to `00. Enjoy

Ok, I just want to be sure before ordering the wrong parts so... If I'm going to replace my bushings all the way around I will need Four of these (Front: 48654-24040) and Two of these (Rear: 48655-24050) ??
Old 07-09-04 | 11:30 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by ONe21
Ok, I just want to be sure before ordering the wrong parts so... If I'm going to replace my bushings all the way around I will need Four of these (Front: 48654-24040) and Two of these (Rear: 48655-24050) ??
Nope. This thread is about front lower control arms only. Front lower ctrl arm has front and rear bushings.
Your car take two of each bushings.
Old 07-09-04 | 03:52 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Guys, we need to do the GB through a CL vendor only please. Someone can check with Steve Ganz or Lexus-Parts.com as both should have access to the OEM parts.
Okay guys here's the deal, I contacted Steve and was told he can get the bushings for us for $39.00 each, and just so everyone understands you need 4 bushings total to do the front lower control arms, 2 for each arm..a front bush and a rear bush. Now, as for the GB stuff, he said that it would have to be a minimum of 5 sets in order to qualify for a GB.

Here's the deal, being as you can get this OEM set for only $156.00 the GB will only save us a very minimal amount (a "few bucks" to be exact, not much), so there's really no point in a GB as of right now. Hope this info helps!
Old 07-09-04 | 10:25 PM
RADSC
Driver

So are bushing for the rear control arm available?

thanks
Old 07-13-04 | 12:12 PM
ONe21
Driver

Nope. This thread is about front lower control arms only. Front lower ctrl arm has front and rear bushings.
Your car take two of each bushings.
Ok, so then when everyone is refering to the rear lower control arm bushing they are talking about the front control arms rear bushing? So there isn't a problem with the rear of the car and those bushing are not in question at all?
Old 07-13-04 | 06:35 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by ONe21
.... So there isn't a problem with the rear of the car and those bushing are not in question at all?

There is a problem and bushings are very much in question... But not in this thread. We concentrate on front suspension. Keep it that way so there is no more confusion and for future reference.

Feel free to start separate thread on addressing your concerns on rear suspension.
Old 07-14-04 | 08:16 PM
RADSC
Driver

eurojulian,
Now that you have new front bushings, and lowered your car with eibachs, have you aligned the car?
Is there enough camber correction (to stock specs)?

Oh yeah, are there bushings for the rear control arms?

thanks
Old 07-14-04 | 10:03 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

do the bushings have to be installed a certain way, or is it straightforward in the way the bushings are pressed in?... i ask because i have a 95 sc400 and i purchased these bushings, did a supra tt brake/rotor upgrade and now i get a knocking noise in the front end. upon further investigation, it looks like i have MASSIVE play when just lighly applying the front brakes. the noise is coming from the movement of that whole assembly(the lower controller arm,i was told) moving in one direction...the bushings are supposed to limit that kind of movement,and at this rate i will be out of bushings...is it because these bushings are made for a 97-00? were slight changes made to the 97-00 lower controller arms bushings as oppossed to the 95?? could i be experience this problem because of the upgraded brakes,rims causing extra force to the bushings?
thanks in advance for any and all info leading to a solution..... i will be getting a second opinion sometime this week afer a thorough inspection from Lexus.
Old 07-15-04 | 03:35 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by RADSC
eurojulian,
Now that you have new front bushings, and lowered your car with eibachs, have you aligned the car?
Is there enough camber correction (to stock specs)?

Oh yeah, are there bushings for the rear control arms?

thanks
I didn`t lowered my car and I`m not planing to. I`m not taking my suspension out. Region where I live is full of crazy tall speed bumps and deeply cut entrances.
I replaced my springs and struts with TT Supra stockers . No alignment issiues...
Old 07-15-04 | 03:54 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
do the bushings have to be installed a certain way, or is it straightforward in the way the bushings are pressed in?... i ask because i have a 95 sc400 and i purchased these bushings, did a supra tt brake/rotor upgrade and now i get a knocking noise in the front end.....
Look like screw up somwhere on the way.

Front bushing is nondirrectional but rear one is and should be instaled correctly in . Also there is a bushing looking like big washer which supposed to take care for lateral movement of the crtl arm. Make sure that one was instaled.

Beyond that I can`t help you much from the distance.
I do not have problem with mine whatsoever even I largly increased unsprung mass with 18inch rims and run-flat tires.
Have car inspected, post the findings and then we can comment.
Old 07-17-04 | 09:44 AM
djl
Intermediate

Euro,

You had mentioned that you knocked out the old bushing with an air hammer, could you give more details as to how you did it (type of hammer tip, strike location: center sleeve or outer sleeve of bushing).

Thanks.
Old 07-18-04 | 01:27 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Look like screw up somwhere on the way.

Front bushing is nondirrectional but rear one is and should be instaled correctly in . Also there is a bushing looking like big washer which supposed to take care for lateral movement of the crtl arm. Make sure that one was instaled.

Beyond that I can`t help you much from the distance.
I do not have problem with mine whatsoever even I largly increased unsprung mass with 18inch rims and run-flat tires.
Have car inspected, post the findings and then we can comment.
you hit the nail on the head! that bushing looking like a big washer(for lateral movement) was not installed and the controller arm just moves back and forth. i had daizen bushings in there previously so, that eliminated the need to keep that "washer bushing", my old mechanic threw it out.... do you know the part # for that item? i need that to correct this problem. should i change the bushings i just pressed in or are they salvagable at this point(it's only been about 2 weeks)? one more thing, could you be a bit more specific about the directional bushing and how it is supposed to be installed (in detail)
............................thanks for any and all info!
Old 07-19-04 | 05:17 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by djl
Euro,

You had mentioned that you knocked out the old bushing with an air hammer, could you give more details as to how you did it (type of hammer tip, strike location: center sleeve or outer sleeve of bushing).

Thanks.

Its difficult for me to describe actual workout in your language...

Your objective is to fold outer metal sleeve of the bushing inward, and then pushing bushing out of the ctrl arm using that newly formed ridge on outher sleeve and blunt hammer tip..... I know description sucks, but it is actually quite easy task and sleeve colapse like soda can and then bushing can be easly pushed out.

Air hammers are generally difficult to control tools and I would not recommand that job for a beginners. For somebody handy with them it is a snap job.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-19-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-19-04 | 05:39 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
you hit the nail on the head! that bushing looking like a big washer(for lateral movement) was not installed and the controller arm just moves back and forth. i had daizen bushings in there previously so, that eliminated the need to keep that "washer bushing", my old mechanic threw it out.... do you know the part # for that item? i need that to correct this problem. should i change the bushings i just pressed in or are they salvagable at this point(it's only been about 2 weeks)? one more thing, could you be a bit more specific about the directional bushing and how it is supposed to be installed (in detail)
............................thanks for any and all info!

Rear bushing is dirrectional. It has stiff and soft axis, the same way as old bushing has slots in them (holes) for soft axiss and rubber for stiff axiss. Position the new bushings in the same manner as old ones.
Now, if you still in doubt and since there is no explanation given in Lexus service manual on how to position those bushing I would recommand that you ask at your dealership pars dept for information. Make them call lex technical support if they do not know.

I can`t say if your new bushings were damaged. I would have them inspected and if they look OK give them a try. Check how they ride. I think you alredy know usual sympthoms of bad bushings. Goodluck
Old 07-21-04 | 08:52 AM
lxus4sale
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know what I can expect to pay for installation of 4 bushings and recommend a shop in SoCal? Thanks

Quick Reply: Per request - pics of Lexus front bushings - Courtesy EuroJulian