Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rear cross bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 09:46 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he was talking about the Supra rear cross bar, not the floor support bars. I assume so, since we already know the floor support bars fit. The list price for the rear cross bar is $335. I ordered one today from Horsepower Freaks for $290. Mid-West Supras lists it for $275, but it's apparently that's a one-man operation. I emailed to see if they had it in stock on the 9th, and I got a response stating that he was going to be gone for the next week and would check on it as soon as he got back. He still hasn't responded. HP Freaks had it in stock and it shipped today, so I was willing to pay the extra 15 bucks, as I was ordering the JIC hard tie rods from them anyway. Hopefully, the RXB fits. I'll let you all know. I got the Rear Ladder Bar I ordered from Speed Alliance yesterday. I didn't realize it would be visible. It bolts between the two big muffler brackets that hang down. You pop out the little plastic tabs that read "Don't Use For Tie-Down," and slip the bar between the brackets. I also ordered the floor support bars, but I'm still waiting on those. Appartently, they had to come from Do-Luck Japan.
I found out that Arospeed sells a universal rear cross bar for around $80. I wasn't willing to chance that one. It may be cheap, but looking at the photo, it didn't seem that it would fit our cars. The center section that runs over the transmission hump looked far too shallow. Plus, I figured that a universal bar designed to fit Civics and Sentras might not adjust wide enough for a larger car like the SC. But it is available in four different colors! I noticed that Arospeed also sells a universal "door bar," designed to look like the rollcage segments that extend across the door area. I suppose they may provide a similar benefit to the Do-Luck floor support bars, just bolted in from the interior rather than the underbody. However, that's assuming you can get the mounting brackets to bolt up to any rigid chassis members. They're certainly not for me. There's no way I'd be willing to climb over them each time I got in and out of the car. To anyone interested in either of these items here's a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails rear cross bars-arospeed.jpg  
Old 06-23-04, 05:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must resist....
Old 06-29-04, 10:26 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Default Rear cross bar installed!

I got home from work today to find the box containing my Do-Luck Supra Rear Cross Bar waiting for me on the front porch. Of course, I dug in and began pondering how exactly it was supposed to mount. After a few hours I was able to get it installed. Here's the deal, there are two holes in the end plates of the bar. If you look behind your seats you'll see there is a bar on either side that the end of the seatbelts are looped through. You pop off the plastic cover to reveal the first mounting bolt that will run through the first hole in the RXB. However, the Supra must have a second unused, threaded hole in the bodywork. That's where the second hole is supposed to match up, and Do-Luck has provided a pair of bolts. The SC doesn't have that hole. So, right now, I'm going with only one bolt on either side. I plan on finding a way to secure it at a second point, either by drilling a hole or fabricating a bracket to attach to the rear seat's front mounting bolts, which are nearby.
This thing was a serious pain to get installed, and requires trimming the carpeting, as the end plates mount behind the carpet right up against the metal. I had to cut a slot from the center of the hole for the seat belt bracket back, and cut a hole for the actual bar to pass through. Let me tell you it doesn't just slip in. I had to wail on it to move it into position. On top of that, I had it adjusted as narrow as possible to fit it in. Once it was in, there was no room to loosen the left jam nut and adjust the bar. I'm going to take it back out and scrape off some of the seam sealer on the floor board panels, since that's causing most of the fitment problems. Then I should have enough room for adjustment.
Now that that is out of the way, let me tell you that this thing really works! I heard that the Supra guys felt it helped when the targa top was out, so I didn't know if it would make that big a difference on the fixed roof SC. Well, it did. I took it for a drive after all my hard work, and the improvement was very noticeable. Cornering feels far more stable, and the car actually feels more comfortable in general. I had a few squeaks before when I would drive hard, and those seem to have ceased. You can feel in your butt that there is something different back there, and I like it.
It should be noted that the suspension on my car was pretty well modified beforehand.
Supra TT Bilstein HD shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Daizen sway bars, all the Daizen bushings, JIC front strut tower brace, Do-Luck Rear Ladder Bar, and 18" wheels- 8.5" fronts with 245/40's and 9.5" rears with 275/35's. So, the fact that it made such a big difference after all that says a lot.
I'll try and get everything all situated with it in the next few days and take a couple of photos.

ps. VSsc400, didn't you say awhile back that you like the G35's gold Brembo calipers? Take a look at my just finished gold TT calipers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=124921

Last edited by P.Williams; 06-30-04 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-29-04, 11:06 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Any noticeable differences with the rear ladder bar? Would it be possible to take pics of that? Im curious as to how much is visible. I think i found the mount points with the plastic covers but im not sure. Also, where did you order it from and how much did it cost?
Old 06-29-04, 11:23 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

I have a few things I have to take photos of this weekend. I'll post some photos soon. I didn't notice that big a difference with the rear ladder bar. It certainly looks nice though. I bought it from Speed Alliance. Warren quoted me a price of $220. However, they also charge a 7% fee for credit cards. So, all told with shipping to St. Louis it was $252. I assume shipping will be cheaper for you California guys. I would go with the Rear Cross Bar before the Ladder Bar. Then again, the Ladder Bar is a cinch to install. I'm still waiting on the Floor Support Bars. I've heard good things about them, and expect that they'd work well with the RXB to stiffen the center of the chassis.
Old 06-30-04, 11:20 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Pwilliams. nice work. I love the G35 calipers. I saw those pics of the ones that you did.

I wish i lived somewhere i can do these type of things... living in an apartment sux... no place to do these type of things.

awesome overall.

looking forward to pictures of the install.
Old 06-30-04, 12:13 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Wow, I completely missed this entire thread.

Yeah, Thats what I was thinking on the Doluck RXB. Although, the SC is very similar to the Supra in many ways I've noticed misc. bolt holes not there. So it kind of makes it a pain to make everything from the Supra chassis fit ours.

The ladder bar is the easiest to install The Floor support bars are also very easy. Which ones did you end up going with P.Williams? (Steel or Alum?)

VSsc400: How did the YSR bars work out for ya? I woulda kept them but my 6pt rollcage is now in the way, lol.

Last edited by TurboB6; 06-30-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 12:16 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TurboB6
Wow, I completely missed this entire thread.

Yeah, Thats what I was thinking on the Doluck RXB. Although, the SC is very similar to the Supra in many ways I've noticed misc. bolt holes not there. So it kind of makes it a pain to make everything from the Supra chassis fit ours.

The ladder bar is the easiest to install The Floor support bars are also very easy. Which ones did you end up going with P.Williams? (Steel or Alum?)

VSsc400: How did the YSR bars wok out for ya? I woulda kept them but my 6pt rollcage is now in the way, lol.
the YSR bars worked out great! so did the do-luck braces... i was too late for the rear ladder bar that I'm kicking myself for not jumping back then...

I want to see pictures of the cage when you are done...
Old 06-30-04, 12:19 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Since I have pics of the cage and not the rest of the work completed I'll let some of my current project out Btw this is without the padding completed yet.

Last edited by TurboB6; 06-30-04 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 12:23 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

lol why you leave the rear seats in for? can't get into them lol. looking good!
Old 06-30-04, 12:26 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Never really crossed my mind in all honesty, lol. I figured ahh what the hell its full interior. I think the car should make enough rwhp to put down the times I want without doing weight reduction.

I'll post another thread when the car is completely done with some more info

Last edited by TurboB6; 06-30-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 12:30 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TurboB6
Never really crossed my mind in all honesty, lol. I figured ahh what the hell its full interior. I think the car should make enough rwhp to put down the times I want without doing weight reduction.

go is no problem.... i think with lower weight it will help handling.
Old 06-30-04, 12:39 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

I'll agree there I think it would improve handling.
Old 06-30-04, 03:42 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cant wait

gadgetSC-t
Old 06-30-04, 07:17 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

In answer to Turbo B6's question, I ordered the aluminum floor support bars. Now what exactly are these "YSR" bars you and VSsc400 keep talking about. Lastly, as much of an improvement as the Rear Cross Bar provided, I'm sure that sweet cage of yours will provide far greater rigidity.

Quick Reply: rear cross bars