Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: which one?
supra
38.46%
rotora
34.62%
neither
11.54%
stock (oem)
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Supra Vs Rotora

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04 | 05:22 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by alexus
how much did you pay for your "supra big upgrade kit" ?
Your looking around $1100-$1200 for the setup, with calipers, rotors, brakelines, pads, brake fluid. These calipers are huge and I definately like how the braking feels now. Orginally I was thinking along the lines of rotora, stoptech, brembo etc... but I never take my car to the track and don't need such an elaborate setup. Though it looks nice, better than the supra TT.
Old 06-10-04 | 10:40 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Ryan23 and others on IS300 .net have sold new calipers for $375 a pair.

Drilled and Slotted rotors are $169- 203 on E-Bay or Tirerack

EBC Brake pads $80 on Tire Rack

SS Brake lines around $130 from Steve @ Carson

There's also used TT brakes always on sale on supraforums.com

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-10-04 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-10-04 | 01:41 PM
alexus
Pole Position

btw

for LEXUS GS400 98-03

what size is for rotors?

330x 30 or 32?

they also have

355.. but i guess they dont fit lexus gs400 98-03 right?

thanks
Old 06-10-04 | 02:18 PM
RMMGS4

btw

for LEXUS GS400 98-03

what size is for rotors?

330x 30 or 32?

they also have

355.. but i guess they dont fit lexus gs400 98-03 right?

thanks
The 330 you need 18 inch rims and some 17 might make it.
The 30 or 32 doesn't affect the wheel clearance.

The 355 can be used with 19 in rims and larger.

With all these big brakes, the rim spoke / center design affects whether the caliper will clear the wheel. You cannot depend on diameter and offset alone to know if it will fit. Get the wheel template from Rotora and use it to check if your wheel will clear. I think it is posted on their website.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-10-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-10-04 | 02:59 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by RMMGS4
The 355 can be used with 19 in rims and larger.
These rotors will fit 18s too, but just barely.

alexus,

Unless you've just raised your budget even more, you are looking at the 330s. Just make sure the calipers will clear your wheel.
Old 06-10-04 | 02:59 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

18's will clear the 355's. And I have Stoptech 355's on all corners.
Old 06-10-04 | 07:29 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i have 20" and last winter i took 'em off and i put 18"

also, can someone suggest a good place to buy them from? I found different range of prices for same rotors 330x32 $1300-$2100, most of them are $1700

Last edited by alexus; 06-11-04 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-11-04 | 07:51 AM
alexus
Pole Position

i also want to get rear one too.. that's another $1k wow they comes out to be expensive.. but i still want to get 'em

Old 06-11-04 | 09:13 AM
Neo
The One

i have 20" and last winter i took 'em off and i put 18"

also, can someone suggest a good place to buy them from? I found different range of prices for same rotors 330x32 $1300-$2100, most of them are $1700
Are we still talking about Rotora? Their website lists the kit for 1699 so I don't know what the other guys at 2100 are selling you. When I talked to them last year, they actually have two types of rotors: 1-pc (which comes with this kit) or 2-pc (which are more $).

i also want to get rear one too.. that's another $1k wow they comes out to be expensive.. but i still want to get 'em
Again, are we still talkig about Rotora? I know LXOGOOD is working with them about the rear but nothing announced yet. Still, I'd be wary of putting on a bigger rear kit if the kit was not built to work in conjunction with the fronts. Their current 4-piston rear was not designed to work with the 4-piston front but with their 6-piston front.

Last edited by Neo; 06-11-04 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-11-04 | 09:21 AM
alexus
Pole Position

yes we talking about rotora..

so wait a minute..

if i let's say put 4 piston front, i can not really put 4 piston rear?

and what do people have at rear who purchased 4 piston on the front?
Old 06-11-04 | 09:47 AM
RMMGS4

so wait a minute..

Right now Rotora is offering two set ups, a 6 piston / 4 piston combination or a 4 piston front only combination, that is set up to work with the stock rear brakes.

If you want a 4 front/ 4 rear combination there are several considerations:
1. Rotora does not market a 4/4 system yet.
2. Stop Tech does offer a 4/4 now, but you have to buy the whole front and rear package at once because the Front ONLY brake kit IS NOT compatible with the 4/ 4 system. What I am trying to say is you can't buy the front 4 piston now and then add the rear later. Rotora may do something different and allow the rear set up to be added on, but that feature is currently TBD.
3. Brake systems must be balanced. You would never buy a front sway bar ONLY and then add a rear sway bar. That would be very dangerous to drive. This is the same scenario for upgrading brakes.
4. The StopTech 4 / 4 and Rotora 6 / 4 are high dollar brake systems, so unless you've upped your budget, they are probably not on your list of options.

On a different Note: We generally talk about Supra TT brakes being heavier than other BBK kits, which is generally true for Brembo, AP, StopTech and Rotora. One thing not to loose track of is that (as Neo pointed out) Rotora offers 1 piece or 2 piece rotors.

So when comparing the Supra TT vs Rotora for value and performance keep in mind the following:

1. The 1 piece rotors weigh a ton. Though the Rotora calipers will weigh a little less than the Supra, it's the rotors that make a big weight difference. I would be very curious to know the weight of the 1 piece Rotora rotors are. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in on that one. I would guess that the overall weight advantage of the Rotora vs. the Supra will be negligible, when using the 1 piece rotor set up.

2. The 2 piece rotors weigh a lot less, but at a higher cost, which makes the entry level Rotora set up much more expensive than the Supra.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-11-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-11-04 | 09:54 AM
Neo
The One

so wait a minute..

redgs4 bought a 4-corners StopTech kit. The pistons in that setup's front calipers are not the same as on mine. The fronts and rears on that kit was tuned together. I cannot, for example, buy that rear setup and have it work well with my fronts. Rotora makes a 6-piston front/4-piston rear setup. That 4-piston rear is not meant to be coupled with the stand-alone 4-piston fronts.

Most people just upgrade the look and feel of the rears, i.e. drilled and/or slotted rotors to match the fronts, SS lines, better pads,...

On another front, LXOGOOD is working with Rotora on something for the rear that supposedly works with the fronts (since he is sponsored by them and he has the front 4-piston kit). I don't know what this is but I assume he will announce something when things are ready.
Old 06-11-04 | 02:49 PM
alexus
Pole Position

wow.. i dont think it makes sense for me upgrading front and not doing anything to the back.. or puting diffirent brand at the back..

so maybe i should think about supra big brake kit after all..

how much is supra bkk cost for front and rear? anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-11-04 | 03:45 PM
Neo
The One

wow.. i dont think it makes sense for me upgrading front and not doing anything to the back.. or puting diffirent brand at the back..

so maybe i should think about supra big brake kit after all..

how much is supra bkk cost for front and rear? anyone have any ideas?
I don't think it is a big deal to not fully upgrade the rear. Most of the braking is done by the fronts anyway. The fronts only kits are supposed to have been designed to work with stock rears. The TTs, however, are designed to work with TT rears so trying to put TTs front and rear is more plausible. BUT, the TT rears won't fit on the GS without some custom modifications. I remember a rear TT kit being made but it will cost more than the fronts.

Another option is DSR which are basically the LS monoblock brakes. They are currently working on getting the right adapters for the rear LS brakes to fit on the GS.

Last edited by Neo; 06-11-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-12-04 | 02:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

4 wheel brake upgrade is not necessary since the fronts do 80% of the work. If money's no object though go for it.

I have 355mm (14") StopTech fronts on my car and they're great. I'm sure the Rotaras are really great too. Even though Supra brakes might be cheaper, I suspect the calipers (and rotors) are a good bit heavier plus the Supra calipers are insanely huge and probably require more in/out clearance than any other brake setup.

One warning if you go with 355 size brakes - good luck finding a spare rim to fit!

Quick Reply: Supra Vs Rotora