Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: which one?
supra
38.46%
rotora
34.62%
neither
11.54%
stock (oem)
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Supra Vs Rotora

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 04:06 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alexus, read this link it is an article at Stoptech as to why rear brake upgrades are not neccessary or even desired with Stoptech brakes. I am not sure that Rotora does the same balanceing act and such that Stopech does but my guess is that they do. There fore rear brakes wouldnt be necessary with the Rotora eitehr.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...tter120601.htm
Old 06-13-04, 02:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting article, especially since StopTech already markets a f/r brake set up (4 corner) for the GS. Kinda contradictory to report such an article and market a f/r system don't you think ?

Rotora and Brembo market 4 corner systems as well.

So what does everyone think; what value (if any) do people see in having a 4 corner system?

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and/ or who you wanna believe.
Old 06-14-04, 10:02 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, let's take the article in context. It was written in 2001 when Stoptech probably did not have a rear brake upgrade available. They were simply addressing what was probably viewed as a competitive disadvantage in the marketplace. Or, in 2003 they decided they could soak a certain, worthy percentage of their customers by conning them into purchasing a 4 corner upgrade. I can't speak for Stoptech and I'll leave it to you to decide.

The article states that under OEM conditions the front/rear bias is 80/20 or 85/15. It goes on to talk about the importance of getting a front brake upgrade that's balanced with the OEM rear. I don't know how much this can be modified toward the rear with big brakes out back, but it seems easy to modify toward the front with a poorly designed upgrade. One can only assume that companies like Stoptech and Brembo have designed their four corner kits to take best advantage, i.e.- shifting the bias rearward so that braking is better shared by all four tires. Also, as your front brakes heat up and become less efficient the rears start doing more of the work. Not like I'll be hitting that scenario very often.

At this point I can claim some sort of magical braking advantage, perhaps one that can't be measured. I can mumble phrases like "reduced fade" and "better feel" that are even harder to measure. Let's just say I know what I got and I have nothing to prove.

As for value, don't get me started. The four corner upgrade looks fantastic. I have literally had gradeschoolers yell out "nice brakes" when I was picking up my son at school. I have been accosted by guys driving riced out hondas and executives in their M5's. During my daily commute I see people hanging their heads out to get a better look. [Clearly they are not looking at me. ]

Some of you chose a different direction and have HRE's or other high end rims. Some of you have gone farther and have fancy body kits. Even if the rears are nothing more than eye candy they were money well spent, IMO. Having said that, I know that RMMGS4 is going to drag me out to some back road and do some testing.
Old 06-15-04, 12:54 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Having said that, I know that RMMGS4 is going to drag me out to some back road and do some testing.
Good response Chris. I looked at the date too, but didn't catch how you found it was written back in "01", but that would sure explain things.

Yeah I'll have to take ya out some back roads and do some testing alright.

I do have a long awaited and much anticipated shoot out of the AP Racing 6 piston against the SupraTT coming soon.

Ya'll will hear about it when the results are in.

After that test is done I DO plan on upgrading my rear brakes to complete my 6/4 set up. For better for worse, I'll publish those results. I think the results will be enlightening no matter what happens.

Stay Tuned

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-15-04 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 12:05 PM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tha tt setup .... and i had to use 8mm spacers .... I absolutely hate tha spacer look ....... anybody have experiece in shaving tha tt roters about 6mm .... i think thats probably way too much to shave but i dont know ..... Iforged was suposed to send me high dics in font ...... but obiously they didnt...... any body have conects at iforged? ...... I cant get anybody there to call me back
Old 06-25-04, 12:06 PM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bad....... correction ..... tt calipers shaved