Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut Tower Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 01:45 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you guys can't get it to fit, and it ends up for sale, I'll buy it and get it to fit on my girlfriends' SC300

It's not that hard.

you just need to tweak the fitment -- use the washers to raise the bar up, then extend the bar's length some, and install it.

The trick is to have enough tension on the bar to:

1) provide lateral support
2) force an ever so slight arc (if there even is one)

I know this bar works because I'm driving around with it on, and no vibrations.

JT
Old 06-17-04, 02:17 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah poop...I'll try installing it again right now...
Old 06-17-04, 02:36 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So John this bar can be extended? How so? I've never examined one of these things up close so I have no point of reference. And if the objective is to create an ever so slight arc does that put extra strain on the strut bolts? A better question is how much underhood clearance is there for these bars? If there's an inch or more I'll probably buy those spacers siniquezu is selling or go to the dealer and get those spacers Manaray showed in his STB install. Either way, if there's enough clearance under the hood, the spacers should provide the space we want near the engine components. So JT, how much clearance under the hood are we talking about? Enough to accommodate 2 spacers would you say? Tell me more about how your car handles now...I like that stuff!

I also was told that in order to add on a STB it involves the same amount of labor as if changing out all the struts. Is this true? I can't see paying $100 in labor to install a $7 STB. But I believe the bolts from the struts may not be long enough if we use spacers for the STB, so then we'd have to put in longer bolts, and this is where the extensive labor comes in...tell me it ain't so

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-17-04 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-17-04, 05:51 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay now I'm really frustrated...I can't seem to clear the intake manifold thingymabobber. I even tried 2 washers, but still didn't work. Then I tried stick a screwdriver in there and install the STB to see if it clears...it still didn't. I think I'm going to sell this STB .

to add to my frustration, while I was reinstalling the nut onto the strut, it fell into the engine and I can't find it. Spent 30 mins looking for it, but no luck . Plus this is my third time trying to post this damn reply... crappy day.

I used supracoup3's pic for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
strut pic.bmp (91.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-17-04, 06:07 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a screw it type of deal

spin the main bar that runs between the two mounts -- it will add a bit of length to the entire thing.

I just finished re-installing my strut bar with tons of pics... there will be a how-to shortly.

John