Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut Tower Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 09:28 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strut Tower Bar Install

Well, I'm sure this thing isn't the best STB in the world, but hey, once I've got coilovers I'll do something rediculous like a TRD one (I think I've still got my cost + 10% discount )

as you can see, the clearances are a little tight on the throttle body, but with a set of washers from home depot motorsports, the problem is solved for pocket change.

Oh yeah, the bar was about 20 bucks shipped from ebay... a couple of different people are selling the same thing. It's the 93-98 MKIV Supra Turbo sway bar.

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 06-10-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 11:00 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks clean...
Old 06-10-04, 11:04 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

link to auction?
id like to get one from the same seller.
Old 06-11-04, 12:19 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I'll post the seller's ID if OLT says that's cool. The shipping was great, and as you can see, it's quite polished for a unit that was 7.50 plus shipping. Oh yeah -- I need to buff all those fingerprints out of it... it really would have been shining if I had

All in all, a good purchase...

Strut Bar for MKIV + (6) 14 MM Washers (for clearance) =

Now I can feel my stock lexus suspension crapping out... darn this thing is sprung like an old mans car!
Old 06-16-04, 12:04 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$20???? I'mma buy one right now!!!...........Okay I just bought one too, lol!..$24.36 with tax and shipping (tax because I'm in CA)...I hate paying tax AND shipping...sucks, should be one or the other. Oh well, If it's junk I'll just use it as a road rage weapon I guess I hope it's as good as it looks, I'm not expecting a helluva lot for $22 though, but if there's any handling improvement at all it'll be worth it. I hate how the boat..err, I mean car handles now.

BTW, is it possible to go with thicker washers to get more clearance by the TB but still be able to close the hood? I may want a little more clearance than that.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-16-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 12:07 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

20bucks is cheap... man.. that thing is so close to the engine bay components though... but no choice right?
Old 06-16-04, 02:13 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I've since tweaked it and gotten a bit more clearance -- just a little bit of heavy handed coaxing and it fits nicely for a pocket-change mod.

Handling is a LOT better. The more I drive it, the more I like it. Avoiding the potholes around beantown suddenly has become (gasp!) fun. The piece looks and feels really nice for 20 bucks.

The front end is much flatter through the turns now. My only complaint is that I now need to do something about the rear -- compared to the front, the rear is a loose caboose.

manaray has a thread about his install...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...trut+tower+bar

John
Old 06-16-04, 03:08 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I have customized spacers for coils . But I need to take pictures for people to believe me.

Last edited by siniquezu; 06-16-04 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 03:26 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by siniquezu
I have customized spacers for coils . But I need to take pictures for people to believe me.
lol. I believe you Thang, I saw your ad in the classifieds. I may be interested once I get this thing in the mail. My only concern is I want to still be able to easily close the hood with no extra modding and I want clearance for the engine components.
Old 06-16-04, 03:36 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

from what I'm seeing, hood clearance isn't a problem for me.

I'll take some more pictures after I wash the lady tonight.

JT
Old 06-16-04, 04:45 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

bad bad bad

I received it today in the mail, went to home depot to get some washers, installed it...............................then

the car shakes like hell....the bar doesn't seem to clear the intake manifold or w/e it's called the right side. My bar is touching it and that's what's making the car shake. I spent an hour trying to figure how to clear it, but it doesn't seem to clear...

does your bar have a gap supracoup3???

I might need somes spaces now
Old 06-16-04, 07:50 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

You need to make sure that the bar is under tension (slightly too long for the distance) when you install it. This way it will bow up ever so slightly, and clear that line. You can assist this process by putting a small block of wood underneath the STB in the area is question, force the bar down (it's strong and really won't visiably bend) but you'll get the slight clearance needed.

I also slid the clamp out so that it's sitting farther out on the barb, which aids in the clearance of the bar as well -- look in the last picture. You can see where the barb normally lives, and where I moved it to (I moved it left to right -- closer to the front end of the car)

I also used a bfh and a block of wood to bang the connector down, personally, I think it did nothing... and being so close to the TPS and IAC, I was rather worried about using it in the first place.

keep the questions coming.
Old 06-16-04, 08:02 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

do you think it's a good idea to use 2 washers each bolt? or just buy those spacers listed a few threads above?
Old 06-17-04, 11:47 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

John, what's all this hunk of wood stuff? I thought this was a simple and cost effective suspension enhancement? So this thing has to be manipulated in order for it to fit properly? I just don't want my car shaking like tpham's. Is there any other modding we have to do that hasn't already been discussed? I bought mine yesterday...if it turns out to be crud you'll see it in the classifieds next week
Old 06-17-04, 01:29 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

yea... how would the piece of wood clear it? I'm confused.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Bar Install