Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need your opinions on suspension dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 02:07 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your opinions on suspension dilema

Ok here's the deal. My shocks and springs are shot to the point where the car sits alittle lower and I'm thinking of replacing them soon.... Do I go with a coilover system like tein cs? or just put stock ones if I find them cheap which I may be able to find? (which I guess it means no new wheels cause i don't want it to become an SUV. )

my car is a 92 sc400, it is winter driven (that's why i didn't even have new aftermarket springs and shocks as a choice). I figure in the winter I can jack the coilovers all the way up for clearance. Do I put a $1300 coilover kit on a 12 year old car ?

If anyone can give some opinions it would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-04, 03:38 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, that's like asking us what you should eat for dinner. That's a personal choice, only you know your budget and driving patterns. Do what's best for your driving style, weather conditions, and your budget. Just make sure to spend your money once and not twice, do it right the first time.
Old 06-23-04, 07:43 AM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Thanks for responding. I was looking for more of an opinion on which choice would be the best for a winter driven car.

What I was trying to find out is, if the coilover coice is a good choice for a winter driven car and if someone had the extra funds would they install it on a winter driven, 12 year old car.
Old 06-23-04, 08:33 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Nick:

If you are only driving the car in the winter, that tells me a few things. Mainly, you aren't going to be hanging corners in the snow like a rally champ. So maybe the Teins are a little overkill for a car that's only going to be driven in less than perfect conditions. If you have stock wheels, it makes more sense to just use the stock stuff as well. With the money you save, you could put it towards something else like snow tires, a tune up, or anything else that would give you a bigger bang for the buck.

Also, raising and lowering coilovers isn't as fun as it seems. You have to take the wheel off, adjust the perches (more tedious than you think), reinstall the wheel, and repeat. Then when you're done, you need to measure the height of the four corners to make sure they are all level. If not. you need to redo the entire operation. And maybe more than once on some wheels. Trust me, do this a few times, and you'll stop changing the height and just leave it alone.

Stock setup works, is comfy, and is install, align, and forget.

Teins are more for if you are into suspension, handling, and the fine tuning of your setup. If that's what you are into, then go for it, I sure did. But if this car is just a winter beater, then I woudn't waste the funds in it.

Also as far as the car age, don't worry about it. It's irrelevant how old the car is. What matters is what makes you happy and is a good investment. I just spent over 10k on my 92 in the last 3 months (custom paint, body kit, 97 refresh, wheels, suspension, interior) and I have no doubts at all. (having it fully insured also helps -- just like you would a new car) When it's done, it will be a brand new machine for less than the cost of a brand new Civic but with 48 times the pimp factor, fun, value, and exclusivity.

Just some thoughts.
Old 06-23-04, 08:38 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in new york and drive 80mile round trip to work and stuff. I have teins and drove during the north east snow storms the year before. if you are going to drive it in the winter i say go with coilover and follow the tirerack tech guide to put some understeer and get a spare set of wheels with snow tires on it... you should be good to go..
Old 06-23-04, 09:58 AM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Thanks guys.

The car is driven year round, tune up has been done as well as time belt etc. it runs like new ) but I could use the money for something else on the car that's for sure.

The only reason I was even contemplating coilovers right now is because of the possible upgrade of wheels later and since the suspension needs to be done soon I might as well do it "right" the first time. I also was quoted by the Lexus dealersip almost the same amount for the stock suspension/labour as for the coilovers. I just wasn't sure what the "right" thing was and wanted help figuring it out.

Is there anything to watch for with a coilover setup in the winter? Do they rust "easily"? do they effect safety etc?

Thanks,
Old 06-23-04, 03:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my sc4 all year(lots of rain, some snow), and am using stock Supra TT springs, shocks, and rear bar; it works great, is all oem toyota parts, lowered the car about 1/2".
The Supra could pull .98 Gs on the skidpad, that's good enough for me, and the setup was engineered for larger wheels/tires, and I have 245/45-17 & 265/40-17 w/8", 9.5" rims.
I found some guy who put Eibachs on his Supra to sell me nearly everything for $150, rear bar was $75 at a junkyard, overall probably the best upgrade I've done to the car for the $.