Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut Tower Bar Install HOW-TO

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 11:38 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Cool...Slow day at work again?

hahaha yes. It's going to be like this till end of next week.
I've been collecting information about the SC and making a list of parts and things that i will be doing to my car during the summer.
Old 06-19-04, 02:53 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not cut the throttle cover thing!! I took mine out and everytime I revved the engine high the throttle gets stuck to the bar! ! this will make your gas pedal stuck to the floor and could be DANGEROUS!!!!
Old 06-20-04, 06:34 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

what?

post some pictures...

what did you cut?
Old 06-20-04, 10:57 AM
tpham7
Pole Position

One of your steps...to cut the TPS cover....I suggest NOT doing that.

Old 06-20-04, 04:15 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

dude... it's a hunk of metal. Are you sure you didn't remove a vacum line or cut one of the cables?

also, check your throttle cable assy. and your gas pedal... trouble shoot the problem.

I've got no idea why people are having such a hard time putting this silly little bar on.

PM me if you'd like to chat on the phone or something... you can't ruin anything by removing that cover, unless you cut a wire or slash a vacum hose.

You are better off UNSCREWING that cover if you can -- I had to cut it off because I stripped the wires. Did you read my how-to carefully?

JT

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 06-20-04 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 05:16 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

At first I did it your way and everytime I rev the engine the little screw on the throttle gets stuck on the bar and it stays stuck which is not safe.... so I flipped the bar over and it clears it by 2 inches and now ti works fine.
Old 06-20-04, 08:17 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
you may have the unit backwards -- try flippig it around.

the front should be the shorter arm, with the rear being longer... follow?

dude... before you go and tell people that my directions are UNSAFE try reading my posts to you -- I told you as SOON as you said it wasn't clearing to flip the bar around. You had it so far back on the engine that your throttle cable assy. was getting screwed up by the bar. from my pictures alone you should have figured where the right place was.

I'm not flaming you, but PLEASE follow directions.

John

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 06-20-04 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 09:30 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

You are getting confused bro. The first time I tried installing it, it was touching the intake from the bottom of the bar and not the throttle. Then you said to flip it around, I thought you meant if I flipped it around it will clear the intake. Then I followed your steps and it cleared the intake, but it was in the way of the throttle.
Old 06-21-04, 07:57 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tpham7
You are getting confused bro. The first time I tried installing it, it was touching the intake from the bottom of the bar and not the throttle. Then you said to flip it around, I thought you meant if I flipped it around it will clear the intake. Then I followed your steps and it cleared the intake, but it was in the way of the throttle.

I've got no idea what you're try to explain here... the first time you were just barely not clearing the front of the t-body... THEN you flipped the bar around and messed with your throttle table assy?

Basically, if you follow the directions, and make sure your engine bay looks like mine, you won't have ANY problems.

and just to confirm, removing that metal TPS cover has nothing to do with the stuck throttle issue.

JT
Old 06-21-04, 02:05 PM
aasc300
Advanced

I installed my JIC brace without modifying anything in the engine bay. Here's how. Install a few washers on all 3 of the strut tower studs. Lengthen or shorten the bar to fit (adjusting nuts). Then (heres the key) have some one pull up on the bar as you tighten down the allen head bolts. This worked great for me, no rubbing or other fitment issues.
Old 06-21-04, 02:47 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMPORTANT!!!!!

TRD Bar: $154 from Carson Toyota....They cost $210 in most places...
Spacers: $16 each, you will need four..
Dennis, make sure to bring up the fact that if you're running stock struts/shocks that the bolts may not be long enough to accommodate the JIC or TRD STB using these spacers. From what I've gathered you can only use those Toyota reinforcement spacers in conjunction with coilovers because the coilovers come with longer bolts. I'm not sure how thick (in mm) those spacers are but I'd like to know for sure before buying them. I do think they'd perform better than simple washers.

John, I received word that my STB has arrived at my granny's house and is awaiting installation. I'll hit you up if I have an issue, but installation seems pretty simple, lol..well, to me anyways

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-21-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 08:58 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Tein CS studs weren't really long enough either...But it was long enough to hold everything down tight and sturdy....Not too sure how long stock strut studs are....Just use some common sense people,...If it looks like it's not holding it down, don't force it...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 06-21-04 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 06:50 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

My Tein CS studs weren't really long enough either...But it was long enough to hold everything down tight and sturdy....Not too sure how long stock strut studs are....Just use some common sense people,...If it looks like it's not holding it down, don't force it...
if you don't mind me copying your setup i'm going to go buy this stuff
Old 06-22-04, 03:30 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so everyone knows this is a part that can only be acquired through Lexus, not a Toyota dealer. I tried, and failed...3 times damn greedy bastards...also remember that this is an $8 STB, so spending $24.06 each (yes, that's what Jim Falk Lexus wants to ream me for) on spacers seems a little, well..you know...ridiculous

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-23-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 03:39 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't mind me copying your setup i'm going to go buy this stuff
Have fun!

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Bar Install HOW-TO