Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut Tower Bar Install HOW-TO

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 02:23 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, how's this working out for everyone so far? I still haven't put mine on yet out of fear of the "jimmy-rigging" involved with this project. My main concern is hitting a bump or something causing the engine to jump whereas that throttle sensor cover hits the bar and breaks.

John, do you have a 300 or a 400? My engine looks slightly different than yours in the pics.

tpham7, what's your feelings so far? I just don't want to break off a damn strut stud trying to force this thing on, I read that you have to "muscle it on" to get it to fit close to perfect.

What say you all?
Old 07-01-04, 07:32 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an SC300 -- I removed that cover because the bar doesn't clear with the cover on.

I don't think the engine could possibly jump enough for the STB to his the TPS or IAC sensors.

That black metal cover comes off via two philips head screws, or by way of a dremel.

I'd wait for the engine to cool down because the screw heads were soft and I stripped them when I did it when I just came back from driving.

Not to mention burning your hand on random crap isn't fun

feel free to IM me (AIM)-- SupraCoup3 or SupraCoupe 2199 (work and home respectively)

John
Old 07-02-04, 10:49 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was interested in buying one of those on EBay but I have an SC4, which is even harder to fit.

I emailed the seller (he is just east of Los Angeles in El Monte or that area), and told him that if he could, he ought to make the next batch in such a way that it more easily fits the SC3 and 4, as well as the Supra. That way, he could market it to a larger customer base.

Well that got his interest and he wanted me to drive over there so he can see how it currently fits (or wouldn't fit) on an SC, but I didn't take him up on his offer, but if anyone is near that area and is interested, I'd contact him.

For the price a trip out there, he may reward you with a complimentary prototype of the next version that fits the SC better, as well as still fitting the Supra. If he uses a flatter top bar in the next version, it will hopefully fit the SC4, too, but that might make it cost more (say, $10 as opposed to $8!).
Old 07-02-04, 12:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Perry, I can drive out to hook up with the guy and have him test fit it on my car. You know how to reach me. Let's make it happen.
Old 07-02-04, 04:53 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure thing- his email is "auto2nr1@yahoo.com", but the way I contacted him was to go to his eB@y auction (his eB@y ID is: auto2nr1 ) and then click on the "ask seller a question" link. His name is David and he got back to me pretty quickly.

Besides Mike's SC3, I hope some local SC4 owner contacts David and gets invited to a fitting session, too!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 07-12-04 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 06:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

if they do require spacers for an Sc300 are 4 spacers neseccary (i cant believe i forgot how to spell that) for the 2jzge? anybody know the answer for this.?

Last edited by G Star; 07-04-04 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 11:13 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default anyone want a STB for super cheap?

My STB is now for sale in the classifieds, anyone interested in buying it hit me up. I just came to the conclusion that I don't want a STB where I need washers to make it fit. I'll just buy a Cusco bar when I have the time.
Old 07-12-04, 05:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Calvin L
if they do require spacers for an Sc300 are 4 spacers neseccary (i cant believe i forgot how to spell that) for the 2jzge? anybody know the answer for this.?
could anyone answer this question!?
Old 07-12-04, 07:10 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

well, I bought mike's STB, I'll be installing it on my GF's car this week.

I just needed two 1/2" washers on the inner two bolts on each side.

John
Old 07-12-04, 11:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
well, I bought mike's STB, I'll be installing it on my GF's car this week.

I just needed two 1/2" washers on the inner two bolts on each side.

John
are these the TRD STB's you are talking about?
Old 07-13-04, 05:26 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Calvin L
are these the TRD STB's you are talking about?

no, the ebay STB
Old 07-13-04, 08:50 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

so in the end was it worth buying the *bay STB? i'm just wondering why they are priced so low, and how they compare to more expensive ones (i.e. cusco)?
Old 07-13-04, 10:58 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by adidas1532
so in the end was it worth buying the *bay STB? i'm just wondering why they are priced so low, and how they compare to more expensive ones (i.e. cusco)?
Well, I'm happy with mine... I'm so happy with it I'm installing another on my GF's SC this week (thanks mike!)

Other people apperently are having fitment issues, but the way I see it, If I can't master a simple STB, then I'm just an armchair tuner

Edit: that's not to say those who couldn't get it to fit are dumb, It's just that things aren't always easy, and you've gotta stick with it, and beat the crap out of it until you win :-)

"Never Give Up, Never Surrender!"

my ebay STB now does my evil bidding every time I turn the wheel, without rubbing

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 07-13-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 11:47 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

hmmm... well i see he has a supra stb up for auction, but i'm still not sure if it would clear my injen cai.

Old 07-13-04, 01:40 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

the only issue I had with fitment was the throttle body -- what I think is a coolant line comes aweful close, you need to use washers to clear it. Besides that, I think it's ok.

I don't know exactly why mike didn't like his STB, but I don't think I'll have a problem with it... If anyone else is in the LA area, I'll start helping people with installs when I get out to school

John

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Bar Install HOW-TO