Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 02:46 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have sprint's drop. the ride is great.. i would say go with the Tein S? or H techs i forget but they have 1.8 drop.
Old 06-25-04, 09:36 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS300Rich
I had the Eibach springs and they only dropped it like 1.2" or so and I hated the ride. That was the kick in the pants I needed to get coilovers and I am not disappointed. I have heard the same thing about the Espelir springs, that feel almost like stock.
GS300Rich,

What was wrong with the ride? Too firm? Too harsh? Or is it too soft (aka OEM ride) that you don't like about it?

Thx.
Old 06-25-04, 01:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I always thought the Daizens were 1.9fr and 1.9rr At one of our meets, there was member there with them on a car with 20" wheels and that baby was LOW. Also remember that springs settle. Lastly, if you have ICE then you will not have that lower nose look , because the trunk has weight in it (whereas it is designed to not have weight). I am also a fan of the "nose down, **** up" look. I had to adjust my coils about 8 times over the course of 2months to get the perfect "California Rake".

Your best bet is to cruise the classifieds or stalk a few CA members for used coilovers, IMHO.

I knew someone that had Tanabe springs, and those gave a nice aggresive drop on 20s as well

I will load a few pics for you.

Hold on for pics

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-25-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 01:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Daizens with 20s- these pics are newly installed, when I saw it, it was a little lower than this! So on 19s, your gonna be SLAMMED with Daizens (unless you go fat setup)

Here is Lsportline springs (1.75") with fat 19 setup. I have seen this car in person with this setup, and it looks nice.

same suspension but skinny 19

Here is Espelirs with Ltuned shocks and 20s (these are settled), I think the Espelirs are another nice choice, they go low, I have seen this one in person as well

Remember that a car is about .25-50" lower in person than in pics. In my "Allow me to Re-Introduce Myself" thread, my car doesnt look slammed, but I had it cranked down about .5" lower than it is NOW. In person it was dumped, in pics it just looked really low.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-25-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 02:03 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cadd
GS300Rich,

What was wrong with the ride? Too firm? Too harsh? Or is it too soft (aka OEM ride) that you don't like about it?

Thx.
I felt the ride was too harsh for only being dropped a little more than one inch. The trade off on ride quality wasnt worth it, as I felt the bumps more than I wanted. Now with my teins I feel the ride is a little better and my car is about .5" lower, although I may be selling my Teins soon
Old 06-25-04, 06:06 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

D, Thanks for posting the photos! This is just Whoa~

See how there's no body kit and no aero, that gives me an idea of what mine will look like. I love the GS' natural body shape and a drop brings it out! Your car is sick Derrick. Truly an example of a well put together GS. I like the way you just replaced the entire bumper when you decided to add a kit. I don't like the "pasted on" look you get with most kits.

ICE - Yup, there's a lot of weight in back! It makes the car look low, even now, and it's stock so you're right - I probably won't get the look I'm aiming for.

SAFETY: Is it safe to buy someone elses coilovers?
Old 06-26-04, 09:49 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Darius2004
D, Thanks for posting the photos! This is just Whoa~

ICE - Yup, there's a lot of weight in back! It makes the car look low, even now, and it's stock so you're right - I probably won't get the look I'm aiming for.

SAFETY: Is it safe to buy someone elses coilovers?
No prob man, glad you like the pics. As far as the drop goes, thats the inherent shortcoming of s/s, there is no fine tuning.

As far as safety goes, alot of people have purchased used coils, just make sure the parts are in good condition and you will be fine.
Old 06-27-04, 04:08 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Default Updated Pic !!!

Darius2004,

Here is an updated pic of my GS, those pics on the first page where taken about 2-3 wks after they where installed
A year later, I think it settled down a good amount - Ride is just like stock
Attached Thumbnails SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...-picture-003-large-.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 06-27-04 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 04:48 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Updated Pic !!!

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
Darius2004,

Here is an updated pic of my GS, those pics on the first page where taken about 2-3 wks after they where installed
A year later, I think it settled down a good amount - Ride is just like stock
Looks very nice, perfect drop for 19s, with fat setup there would be even less gap! I think Espelir is the way to go, for the S/S route.
Old 06-27-04, 06:03 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Derrick, Cam, Rich, Cadd, Morris, 1Sick and anyone I fogot - Thank for the help and the photos. This is what I've decided. I will buy springs for now, Espelir or Daizen. When it becomes time to replace my shocks, 1 year is my guess, then I'll upgrade to Tein CS. Maybe sooner of a CL member is selling.

With the 2 PolkMOMO subs, two 17" amps, distribution blocks, capacitors, jumper cables, emergency kit, spare tire, wood fabrication (amp rack), cleaning supplies, jack, golf clubs, groceries, and anything else that could be in the trunk it gets pretty low. I think I'll be upgrading to coilovers sooner than later but I'm not ashamed to say I can't afford them right now with the other purchases I have planned.

Thanks again for all the help. Now I have photos for reference. And Cam - thanks for the updated photos so I can get a feel for how much they'll settle.

One more question. Is it possible to buy Tein springs now and then later add adjustable height and comfort shocks?
Old 06-27-04, 06:54 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Darius2004

One more question. Is it possible to buy Tein springs now and then later add adjustable height and comfort shocks?
Dont worry about it man. As far as the springs go, I think your asking if you can just buy springs, and then convert them to coilovers down the line? If so, the answer is no. The springs that come on coilovers are specifically matched to the strut rate, not to mention the height adjustability. For the sagging rear that you will have, you may want to look into a spacer for the rear spring to raise it, caveat emptor, I am not sure how safe these are.

This is reason coils are really the way to go for you. Another option, maybe just buy your wheels and save up for the drop. Figure it like this, most springs (espcially JDM ones) are 200-375 dollars. If your timing is right, you could run into a set of used Apex coils for 450 or so. You are going to spend alot more in the long run. If you said you would remove the stereo equip, then i'd be all for springs.

Your choice mang, just have to be honest and let you know what to expect. Ask blue98gs3 to post what his car looked like with Espelirs and some trunk work. It was so bad, I think he just switched out to Tein Flex.
Old 06-27-04, 07:40 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Here check this out this is my car on H&R sport springs with the stock struts. I have 17's so hopefully it gives you another idea of the drop with springs.
Attached Thumbnails SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...-dsc04025.jpg  
Old 06-27-04, 07:41 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Here is the rear
Attached Thumbnails SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...-dsc04019.jpg  

Last edited by morris; 06-27-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 07:43 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

and the front, I actgually pulled the springs out last week to replace them with Flex's, so I'll be selling the springs to save up for rims
Attached Thumbnails SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...-dsc04021.jpg  

Last edited by morris; 06-27-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 12:27 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by GS300Rich
I felt the ride was too harsh for only being dropped a little more than one inch. The trade off on ride quality wasnt worth it, as I felt the bumps more than I wanted. Now with my teins I feel the ride is a little better and my car is about .5" lower, although I may be selling my Teins soon

wow..i liek this one. what tire setup is on this? any rubbing?

Quick Reply: SPRINGS: Lowest drop without coilovers...