Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

NEED HELP!!! ABS & VSC ON after L-Tuned upgrade. (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 10:50 AM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my vsc/abs lights are on too so how do i figure out if I have toasted abs sensors and which ones I would need to replace?
Old 12-15-04, 08:48 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

My ABS and Brake lights came on today, but even worse, my car (once started) would not shift into gear (out of park). The electrical was out of whack too....the power windows, a/c and sunroof would not work, although the interior/exterior lights and stereo all worked??? My friend and I installed my new HKS HiPower exhaust/mufflers over the weekend, but that was merely unbolting the stock one, and then bolting on the new ones. Could that have ruined my sensors, thus causing my car to not respond like this (because we did the install about 4 days ago and everything was fine).

Needless to say, my car is stranded in front of my daughters daycare overnight, and hopefully my mechanic can figure it all out so that I wont have to take it to the dealer (as Im no longer under warranty)..
Old 12-16-04, 04:53 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by jmjs23
My ABS and Brake lights came on today, but even worse, my car (once started) would not shift into gear (out of park). The electrical was out of whack too....the power windows, a/c and sunroof would not work, although the interior/exterior lights and stereo all worked??? My friend and I installed my new HKS HiPower exhaust/mufflers over the weekend, but that was merely unbolting the stock one, and then bolting on the new ones. Could that have ruined my sensors, thus causing my car to not respond like this (because we did the install about 4 days ago and everything was fine).

Needless to say, my car is stranded in front of my daughters daycare overnight, and hopefully my mechanic can figure it all out so that I wont have to take it to the dealer (as Im no longer under warranty)..
Sounds like loose or corroded battery terminal or bad battery.
Old 12-16-04, 04:55 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally posted by zmatrix
my vsc/abs lights are on too so how do i figure out if I have toasted abs sensors and which ones I would need to replace?
Too make sure I took mine to Lexus and had them diagnose the problem 4 me. $113.00 later I get confirmation that the ABS sensors are bad.

There is also a way by reading blinking dash light patterns to also diagnose however I found it to difficult to follow and wanted to make sure before dropping the serious $$ on new sensors.

Carson is the least expensive place for sensor replacements... just an FYI.
Old 12-16-04, 06:52 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

this happened to me when my guy did my eibachs/bilsteins...

the only concilation to me was the sensors were under warranty
Old 12-16-04, 08:38 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CinFulxGS4
Sounds like loose or corroded battery terminal or bad battery.
Thanks for the reply. I hope that's all it is. Being the non-DIY type that I am, I'll have to wait to hear back from the garage today once they get the car towed in. I'll post a remdy if they find one, or the cause of my car woes.
Old 12-20-04, 07:00 PM
kpuri
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice for a DIYer, I am planning on replacing the springs/shocks myself next month.
Is there anyway to put slack on the sensor/wire so you don't stress the sensor or maybe just stick a jack under the suspension to keep it from extending all the way?
Old 12-20-04, 07:39 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kpuri
Any advice for a DIYer, I am planning on replacing the springs/shocks myself next month.
Is there anyway to put slack on the sensor/wire so you don't stress the sensor or maybe just stick a jack under the suspension to keep it from extending all the way?
very simple my friend , just unbolt from shock body and from inner fender well. you must do both and gently move out of the way
Old 12-20-04, 08:15 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

We were very careful with them and they broke anyway. Don't know if the problem was stress on the wire or something getting on the sensor itself???
Old 12-28-04, 08:21 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmjs23

The problem ended up being caused by some stereo wires in the trunk, that were left from the previous owner. He must have a had an amp and speaker box and what not back there, and one of the wires was causing an electrical short. Everything is running fine now....
Old 12-28-04, 06:52 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
We were very careful with them and they broke anyway. Don't know if the problem was stress on the wire or something getting on the sensor itself???

Cin

i just changed out my suspension today and thought about what you had said

to be careful

I did the following

Took off the tire

Unbolted the ABS only on the shock though

Took the nut and bolt of the swaybar to disconnect that piece

Took out the lower shock bolt

Then i took apart the upper control arm (A-arm?)

now when i did this i knew the rotor would fall forward

but all the tension stays on the brake line

so i really dont see the reason to take the ABS off

i mean i understand being supercareful but i think it might be a step to skip

then i undid the three nuts up top and pulled out carefully

not too bad first side took me a little time to see what to do

the rears are pretty easy

didnt really see the need for the rear cover (i guess it was there to protect the nut )

but i wanted to thank you for the heads up on that part of the removal

johnny

Last edited by T.L.W.; 12-29-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 05:00 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Follow up...

My initial instructions posted from another thread to reset the codes does work. You may need to drive a couple blocks after the procedure before they turn off... at first I didn't think it worked.

Old 05-17-06, 06:02 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my L-tuned set up my self as well. I was sure I would jack up the "holy" sensor wire I remember just un bolting it from the assembly, but was nervous it would some how get broke.

Those with broken wires were your done with a car lift? (mine was)

Was the wire unbolted?

Almost a reason to let a shop do this mod.

D