Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra springs and struts. Where is a beef?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 04:09 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra springs and struts. Where is a beef?

Hi gents. After some wait I finaly got factory Supra TT springs delivered. I checked them today ageinst oryginal SC4 springs and I`m kinda puzzled.
I can see difference in rear springs as they are stiffer by design than SC4 springs and progressie rate, but front springs appear to be identical.
I culdn`t compare free lenght as I have SC springs still in the car, but wire diameter, outside diameter and number of coils are the same on both SC4 and TT springs. So where is the beef? Both springs have the same rate.
I can get factory rear struts cheaply and complete rear suspension upgrade with pocket money.
But front struts are four times as expensive as the rear one so I have to have good reason to replace them. Is there difference in the front struts?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-25-04 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 04:30 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of KYB AGX adjustable shocks for the supra for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.
Old 06-26-04, 08:27 AM
SCV8
Instructor

That's different than what I wound up with(pun intended); wire dia. was different both front/rear with my '94 TT springs vs the stock '92 SC4. Front wire dia. is around .598 on my TT springs, measuring outside the coating; and .492 for the rear, with constant wound coils.
I no longer have the SC springs around for comparison, but I did a mathematical comparison during the swap, and the rates looked to be around 15-17% stiffer, both front/rear.
I know that the TT shocks were changed a bit in '98, don't know anything about the springs, however.

Also, the strut valving is very different from the SC, so you'll want to replace the fronts, but you might try pricing the Bilsteins through a few online distributors, they were cheaper by about half price for me anyways, and they ride/handle the same as oem Supra units. You'll just need to keep the SC spring seats to use with the replacement front Bilsteins.

Last edited by SCV8; 06-26-04 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 06:17 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Well, mine came of `97 TT, as lexkid told me.

Front wire diameter is 15mm (0.591 in) constant rate. This is the same diameter as on my `92 SC4. I would say it is the same spring.

Rear wire diameter is 12.5mm (0.492 in) with progressive rate (coil diameter changing from 124 to 94mm, also coil pitch increase with diameter decrease...) Definitly different spring from one on SC4.

Supras are not common site in our shop these days. I had one two weeks ago, I should have checked and compare both cars. So anybody else with factory TT Supra setup who can provide input?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-26-04 at 06:18 PM.