Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Painted My Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-05, 01:21 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how many of u guys actualyl removed u'r calipers, sanded them down, etc. before painting them? if I decide to be lazy (which I am notorious for...lol) and leave them on and just paint them, it should turn out okay right? from reading some of the above posts, it seems like some of u guys just left them on and painted...was it a ***** trying to cover up everything else so that u wouldn't over spray? or did u use brush on paint?

just thought I'd ask before starting this project....
Old 09-10-05, 02:31 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

i like em dude looks good, i have to take this task too soon
Old 09-10-05, 05:30 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by cheungsta
so how many of u guys actualyl removed u'r calipers, sanded them down, etc. before painting them? if I decide to be lazy (which I am notorious for...lol) and leave them on and just paint them, it should turn out okay right? from reading some of the above posts, it seems like some of u guys just left them on and painted...was it a ***** trying to cover up everything else so that u wouldn't over spray? or did u use brush on paint?

just thought I'd ask before starting this project....

If going the lazy route, I would suggest going 50% lazy.

Hand sand the caliper to clean it. (Hard part)
Then use this paint URL=http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp . This is the easy part. Because it goes on with a brush, no exstensive taping needed. (well maybe a little)

plus the G2 paint is suposedly nealy indestructible, and will keep it's glossy finish,

some reviews:

URL=http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/november01/g2.shtml

http://www.miata.net/products/perform/g2.html

Application Instrutions:

http://www.g2usa.com/bcps-inst.shtml
Old 09-10-05, 09:56 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If you're gonna push that stuff, at least mention the price

That may be 50% easy, but that stuff is 800% (or 8 times) the price of the $5 can of Plasti-Kote's "Hot Paint" available at Pep Boys.

If you're that hard-core that you'd spend $38 on caliper paint, then you're gonna take the time to mask it properly. But I think that's overkill for the stock brakes.
Old 09-10-05, 11:29 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

hehe...yeah, a bit much for what I wanted to spend...I just picked up 500 degree engine spray paint from Pepboys, and gonna give it a go either tomorrow or monday...if I remember, i'll try and post pics...

anyone have pics of painting their rear calipers? oh, and are there any particular parts that I shouldn't really spray??
Old 09-10-05, 11:48 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

No need for all that hard work. You don't even have to remove the tires/wheels.

Just go to your local beauty salon or drug store and pick up a few bottles of nail polish.

You know how to do the rest.

All four of my calipers are painted in silver with nail polish and I have yet to see them fade after a couple of years.

My car is a daily driver and I put approximately 80 miles on her on a daily basis.

Jon

PS: I didn't even bother to sand down or prep the surface the calipers before I painted them. The only drawback is that you won't get that glossy smooth finish as you do with properly prepped surface/paint. You can't tell the difference from more than a few feet away anyway. You can find random pictures of my car in the gallery.

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 09-10-05 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 09:04 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

wow...nail polish? really?? I'm surprised that it doesn't flake off after a while...pretty cool tho!!
Old 09-11-05, 10:15 AM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

about to paint my calipers pink for that yashio factory look!
Old 09-11-05, 09:12 PM
97SC300
Driver

I didnt take off my calipers to paint them, just use some news paper to cover up your fender and whatever else u dont want overspray on. i used the 500 degree paint and it still looks like the day i sprayed it. and for the preperation, i just used a hard wire brush, i think its alot easier than sanding it.
Old 09-12-05, 03:46 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

cool cool...i picked up some 500 degree spray and I think I'm gonna try that route...seems to be a much quicker job too, since the paint on G2 said that I won't be able to drive for abotu 24 hours...thanks for all the advice / tips guys! I'll be sure to post once I get mine done (just waiting on caliper stickers )
Old 09-13-05, 05:23 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
That may be 50% easy, but that stuff is 800% (or 8 times) the price of the $5 can of Plasti-Kote's "Hot Paint" available at Pep Boys.

If you're that hard-core that you'd spend $38 on caliper paint, then you're gonna take the time to mask it properly. But I think that's overkill for the stock brakes.
Maybe it's just me, but I would want somthing that is going to last. What I've gotten from all the other countless post on this topic is that the "High-Temp" spray paints do not last, they fade and chip fairly quickly.