Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control arms replacement clinic

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 04:13 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control arms replacement/bushing job clinic

Hi gents. While doing ctrl arms job on my SC I was thinking if I can recommand that job to you DIYs and weekend worriors out there.
I come to the conclusion that yes, with minimum farming out this job is quite easy to do.
Outside farming would include machine shop to press in new bushings and alignment shop.

There is also sticky issiue of ball joint puller, absolutely essential tool to do this job right. I`m leaving that one question to your invention and lets look at remaning issiues.

A.) Sway bar link removal. Thise can be rusty and tough to crack and unscrew since shaft has to be hold in place with hex wrench while nut is turn. Air gun makes world of difference. I would recommand to undo it at sway bar end due to better acces. Give it plenty of penetrant, be prepared to cut it off if neccesery and replace with new one.

B.) Ball joint removal. Common practices to separate ball joints, like using fork or beating knuckle with BFH lead to damage, using the puller is esential.
Acces to the b.joint is difficult. Watch for ABS sensor! There are different pullers aviable, use will vary. Do not be affraid to deliver one or two blows of hammer AFTER considerable tension is placed on the b.joint with puller. It will help separation, which otherwise may be difficult or even excced some pullers capacity (legs would bend or slip f.e.)

C.) Axis bolts removal. Make sure you are unscrewing the NUTS on those. Important, make sure you mark position of the alignment cams (adjusters) in relation to body. That way you will be able to reinstal them in the same position after replacing the c.arms. You will have your car roughly aligned, alowing on driving to the alignment shop w/o complications.

C.) Have fun

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-30-04 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 02:19 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent