Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaky noise? can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 10:49 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Squeaky noise? can anyone help?

ever since i had my tom's 6 links and rear brace, i notice some annoying squeaky noises when i'm cruising 10mph or less. even when i apply the brakes at a slow speed in Reverse or D. and it's not the sound of my brakes. on the freeway, it disappear or in residential area @ 25mph or faster. i shook my car and the suspension but everything check out okay. the right side of the 6links touches the exhaust pipe but when i shook the exhaust it's not making any noises. i can't seem to pinpoint the problem. does anyone have an answer or suggestion? it only make the squeaky noise from 0 to 10 mph.
Old 07-02-04, 12:20 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i had the same problem when i put in the 6 piece links , i found it was the link that has the moving connection ..loosen the bolt that attaches that link to the subframe with the car jacked up , also loosen just slightly the connecting toms links within that same piece , when i did that the link it self moved into a better postion then i retrqed the bolt and retrqded the moving link part

second thing i did was loosen all the links that go right to the subframe once loose , pushed the car up and down a few time to allow the rubber bushings to seat better then retrqed and no more noise , that was about 3 weeks ago

try it out it should work fine
Old 07-02-04, 01:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good info to know Ed in case it ever happens to me. So far, I've only had the problem of one of the links touching the RMM exhaust. After some rubber shims on the hanger, things seem to be OK.

Last edited by Neo; 07-06-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 02:03 PM
GSing430
Racer

Originally posted by lexforlife
i had the same problem when i put in the 6 piece links , i found it was the link that has the moving connection ..loosen the bolt that attaches that link to the subframe with the car jacked up , also loosen just slightly the connecting toms links within that same piece , when i did that the link it self moved into a better postion then i retrqed the bolt and retrqded the moving link part

second thing i did was loosen all the links that go right to the subframe once loose , pushed the car up and down a few time to allow the rubber bushings to seat better then retrqed and no more noise , that was about 3 weeks ago

try it out it should work fine
thanks for the info. i try to do that, hopefully it will work, that noise is really annoying me. it's embarrassing when i'm driving and people hearing all this noises. you are referring to the 2pc link, correct? now i just need to get a jack and time to do this. my mechanic is 2hrs away. thanks again.
Old 07-02-04, 02:08 PM
GSing430
Racer

Originally posted by Neo
Good info to know Ed in case it ever happens to me. So far, I've only had the problem of one of the links touching the RMM exhaust. After some rubber shims on the hanger, things seem to be OK.
when i first had the 6 links installed, and the farthest link to the back is touching the exhaust pipe so tight, i was like WTF ( what kind of engineering is this!!!, don't even know how to engineer with the proper clearance) it's funny only the piping on the right side is touching. at first i thought it came from that, but that wasn't the case.
Old 07-02-04, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
meaning making the exhaust not to move and so not touching?
Old 07-02-04, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GSing430
when i first had the 6 links installed, and the farthest link to the back is touching the exhaust pipe so tight, i was like WTF ( what kind of engineering is this!!!, don't even know how to engineer with the proper clearance) it's funny only the piping on the right side is touching. at first i thought it came from that, but that wasn't the case.
the tom's links are designed for tom's exhaust. if you get the tom's exhuast, it won't touch. but a lot of other exhaust, it touches

seems like the install of teh 6 links isn't as easy as it seems huh? thanks ed for the tips, i think that makes a lot of sense on how to reduce noise!

gotta bookmark this when i get my tom's stuff
Old 07-02-04, 03:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
meaning making the exhaust not to move and so not touching?
Yes. I still get a rattle now and then but it is so infrequent that I can't correlate the conditions to reproduce it. For now, the two are not touching any more. Maybe it is normal or itis just my car but I was surprised at how much vibration there is on the exhaust. If the shims are not there, the exhaust will rattle against the link. Extremely annoying.

Last edited by Neo; 07-06-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 04:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
Yes. I still get a rattle now and then but it is so infrequent that I can't correlate the conditions to reproduce it. For now, the two are not touching any more. Maybe it is normal or itis just my car but I was surprised at how much vibration there is on the exhaust. If the shims are not there, the exhaust will rattle against the link. Extremely annoying.
mine is even worse, i need to do shimming otherwise when i do hard right, the exhaust hit the body of the car @_@
Old 07-06-04, 01:43 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the noise how much of a difference do the 6 link make?
Old 07-07-04, 06:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Fisher503
Besides the noise how much of a difference do the 6 link make?

imo makes a huge diff .. the rear of the gs is very jiggly and loves to walk separate of the front end, very dangerous in high speed manuvers and lane changes esp around corners with uneven pavement , the rear subframe was designed to have to play in it to absorb road irreg. to obtain that soft floaty cushy type ride ,not good for us speed demons , the 6 piece links keeps the subframe from moving separate of the unibody and front so they work together as a unit...

my final piece is on the slow boat the rear lower control brace and that will finish off my setup
Old 07-07-04, 06:17 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info
Old 07-07-04, 06:28 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

micheal.
sorry man you are having problems with the suspension stuff..
besides the noise .. are you happy with them.. i wish i still had them.. but how you guys like the toms rear suspension peices. good investment?
thanks
rick
Old 07-07-04, 06:28 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

ALSO
neo and rominl.
your signatrures confuse me.. to many of the same flashing things going on there LOL LOL maybe im just slow
Old 07-07-04, 08:58 AM
GSing430
Racer

Originally posted by 00lexondub
micheal.
sorry man you are having problems with the suspension stuff..
besides the noise .. are you happy with them.. i wish i still had them.. but how you guys like the toms rear suspension peices. good investment?
thanks
rick
i never really intended to buy them from the beginning, it's a huge investment for some braces, but due to rear feeling very loose and scary at high speed on turns, i had to get them. yes the noise is very annoying, still haven't found the time to fix it yet, hopefully soon. in terms of performance i would give it a B. yes it did improve and felt more secure and confident to the pavements on turns but if i really push it even on my flex set at 3f 2r, i can still feel a slight but not significant "squirrelly" feeling , i even have the upper strut bar that i borrowed from RMMGS4, gotta return them soon, (sorry Glen for taking long) maybe i need the front brace as well to complete this set. i think that will set me back too much, i really want to get my fabulous sides first. if you love to take turns, then yes it's a good investment. rick, thanks again for the braces. hey, a few more days and the teasers on your cinnabar shall begin, right? can't wait to see your ride. now back to those annoying noises i gotta fix!!!

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise? can anyone help?