Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need help with rear rotor removal for sc300

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 07:50 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with rear rotor removal for sc300

I did a search on the forums and came up with no info for rear rotors. I guess cuz no one really changes them often. Today i went and changed my rotors and brake pads with cross drilled/slotted front and rear. i did the front with no problem.

But now when i went and did the rear i came into a big problem as the rotor wouldnt come off. I screwed in two 8mm bolts into the holes in the rotors and screwed them in 80% of the way and then the area where the bolt hole is cracked so i couldnt scew it in any further and even after inserting a 2 inch bolt 80% of the way in it wont come off.. with the front i onli needed to screw it in 20% of the way and the rotor would just fell right off. The rotor wiggles and everything but it wouldnt come off. I banged at it for hours. then I looked behind the rotor and saw a 2 nails holding it to the hub i managed to pull one of them out as it was practically falling off already and the other one is half way out i dont know what those are for but it doesnt seam like the rotor would come off even if i got the last nail out. .

so my question is, is there a screw holding the rotor down from the back? Im really doubting its rusted down the badly. Even though it looks like the rotor hasnt been changed for 180k miles, if it was really rusted down that bad it wouldnt wiggle at all. I need help on this one i've done many rotor installs before but never ran into a issue like this . Im going to attemp it again tomorrow hopefully with new knowledge.

Last edited by siaxazn; 07-09-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 08:18 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say this..but search!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=rear+rotor

Good luck
Old 07-09-04, 08:41 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

yeah i was just about to post that i found after searching through all the threads in the suspension brake section. i guess i couldnt find it on the search because i couldnt get the right combination of key words.

anyways now that i read that i think all i need to do is remove the rubber bung from the hole in the rotor and turn the clog. But there is another issue. there is 2 nails behind the hub that came loose while i was prying and banging away at the rotor i dont know what these are for. is looks like it holds something in thats under the rotor and im guessing its the ebrake since i put tremendous force on the rotor with out turning the clog in the hole of the rotor.

when i reassembled everything after giving up. I drove it and now it makes noise and its as if the ebrake is perminately engaged as i have a 5 speed and i noticed it doesnt roll away when i park with out the ebrake up. i hope i didnt mess it up that badly that the ebrake will remain perminately engaged.
Old 07-11-04, 09:12 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by siaxazn
But there is another issue. there is 2 nails behind the hub that came loose while i was prying and banging away at the rotor i dont know what these are for. is looks like it holds something in thats under the rotor and im guessing its the ebrake since i put tremendous force on the rotor with out turning the clog in the hole of the rotor.
OMG

Don't mess with brakes if you aren't sure of what you're doing. That is flat out dangerous. The parking brakes have two pins. Are these what you are talking about? One is kinked and the other straight. Have a shop amke sure everything is together right.

Last edited by Hermosa; 07-11-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-11-04, 10:36 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I've changed brakes and rotors on dozens of cars but never a lex so i didnt know you had to release the brake shoes by turning the wheel in the hole. So i guess thats where i messed things up. but i got it all fixed now. Those 2 nail things in the back held in some springs. i bent of the nails pretty badly as i was pulling on the rotor with the shoes still engaged. But luckily i didnt damage anything else and i was able to hammer the nail back to its original form and put the springs back together and all was good. anyway thanks for whoever assisted me on this.
Old 07-11-04, 11:30 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

release the parking brake and they will come off. parking brake is a drum brake setup on both rear wheels.

if you don't they dont like to move at all.