Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Very touchy brakes after Supra upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 08:43 PM
elscorcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know what year brakes on the tt supra to get
Old 05-11-05, 08:46 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elscorcho
Does anybody know what year brakes on the tt supra to get
1993.5-1998 -- any of the MKIV brakes fit.
Old 05-11-05, 11:06 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Hmmm...I have the TT brakes, both front and rear. There was a big increase in stopping power once they were installed, but I'd never say it was too sensitive. What type of pads and rotors are you running? I installed the TT calipers with a Stoptech Stage 2 brake kit (cross-drilled rotors, Hawk pads, SS lines, and Motul 600 fluid), and it's been trouble free.
Old 05-12-05, 05:59 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

tt brakes / metal master pads/ ss lines/ x drilled,slotted rotors....best modification/upgrade i have ever done on this car! it stops this car with excellent power!!- no negatives here.. that sensitivity you feel might be just you needing to get used to your new setup, unless your calipers are not working properly. i bought my calipers, rotors, hoses and pads-new.
Old 05-17-05, 08:47 PM
PM Supra
Driver

I did notice that the SC300 brake booster is slightly larger than the Supra booster. In the near future i will change the booster to a supra.
Old 05-19-05, 07:30 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PM Supra
I did notice that the SC300 brake booster is slightly larger than the Supra booster. In the near future i will change the booster to a supra.

Please keep us updated...It looks stupid when I drive in traffic...go...then SLAM on the brakes
Old 05-25-05, 07:17 PM
DavE713
Lead Lap

the abs still works if you do a tt upgrade right?
Old 05-28-05, 03:21 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

abs works perfectly....(for me)- i noticed no difference other than positives ones.
Old 10-21-05, 07:01 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

When you replace your brakes with that of a Supra do you have to replace the rear calipers as well?? Would the stock rear calipers affect braking performance in anyway?
Old 10-21-05, 07:08 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
When you replace your brakes with that of a Supra do you have to replace the rear calipers as well?? Would the stock rear calipers affect braking performance in anyway?
No and no. Front brakes do most of the work so the rear stockers are fine.
Old 02-13-06, 10:06 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

The answer to my question early in this thread is that I needed to rebuild the driver's side as well and I had the parts available because the kit had both sides. Now that there is a thousand or so miles on the car the TT brakes stop this thing like the hand of god reached down. They are not touchy, I'd call them progressive. I will note that they perform better if they are warmed up a little than if you stomp them cold.

As far as bang for the buck, I'm going to have to include the MKIV TT sway bars very high on that list. They really help calm down the body roll when combined with the Supra TT shocks struts. Pretty easy to get all that for about $250 -300 and well worth it for a boosted SC.
Old 02-14-06, 01:52 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

96sc3 has the TT brakes and his are very touchy, mine aren't. I don't know why it does that, but I know what PM Supra is talking about now. My brakes feel like how the normal tt brakes feel, 96sc3's brakes feels 10 x more sensitive. Not that it's a bad thing, you'll just have to get use to it I guess. Maybe it's because he only has the fronts?
Old 02-16-06, 10:07 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default TT Rears should bite harder, your experience?

I have TT brakes front and rear. My rear brakes never seem to be on the verge of lock-up (activating ABS). The ABS pulse the fronts on hard braking, I never feel this on the rears. I am thinking that there is more stopping power available if the rears bit harder. (a duh warning, hope this isn't stupid, but I don't know if the ABS is active on the rears). Regardless, the TT rears seem like they could easily contribute more.

Last edited by SCoupe; 02-18-06 at 12:31 AM. Reason: clarification, grammer
Old 02-17-06, 10:01 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PM Supra
I tried installing an SC300 booster to replace A leaking Supra booster but it did not fit in the Supra
Old 02-19-06, 03:10 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On other cars I have been able to get a little more out of the rear brakes after installing much larger brakes on the front by removing the guts from a small valve that was installed at the factory to reduce the amount of pressure to the rears.

Quick Reply: Very touchy brakes after Supra upgrade