Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

all the things to lower my car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 09:33 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question all the things to lower my car...

Ok. I'm a balla on a budget....not really. I am a poor college student though, and would like to lower my car like an inch before school starts this fall. I have the IS wheels on it and it looks abit high. An inch shoud do it right? Well, Just wondering what all I needed to lower the car and how I would go about doing so.
What springs/shocks combo should I get, and how much would that be? Then where is a good place to get them. Tien coilovers were hella expensive so I don't see thoes happening. Then after lowering, what should I do about camber adjustment stuff? how does that work? what needs to be done?

Simply, I just want to know from all you expereinced sc people how much it will cost and if its even worth doing. There are 111k miles on origional shocks and springs I believe.

Thanks
Old 07-27-04, 11:47 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two words: Search Button!!

There are TONS of posts discussing this in great detail.
Old 07-27-04, 11:57 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off go to the classified section.
You can get the Tokico shocks and Eibach springs that is probably the most cost effective for you and it is a pretty popular setup.
You can get supra TT shocks but then you have to get the TT springs too so keep that in mind, it still may be cheaper if you are buying the whole package. It isn't going to be cheap any route unfortunately these aren't honda civics that you can drop with some $200 skunk coilovers
Old 07-27-04, 12:41 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Tokico struts have been very much praised (I just bought a set), and you can get a good deal at www.tmengineering.net . Springs, Eibach and Espelirs are the most common. You can find those a lot of places, but like someone said above, check out the member classified forums. Neither of those springs lower enough to give you issues with camber. On slammed coilovers you may have a problem though. After you get a set, find a good shop that'll do the install at a fair price (remember, it doesn't cost hardly any more to get springs put on if you're doing struts, because the springs will have to come out anyway.

James
Old 07-27-04, 01:32 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much difference is there between the tokico HP struts and the Tokio Illumina struts. The illumina ones are adjustable but how important/useful is that option? or like what's a good combination? I see that they sell the front and rear for the HP ones but only the front for the illumina ones...how does that work?
Thanks.

Two words: Search Button!!
Tried that but I think the information overloaded my mind
I can clone things but can't understand cars...
Old 07-27-04, 02:38 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

IMO, if you just want a good ride with a slightly stiffer/sportier ride, go for the regular ol' Tokico HP struts. All I have heard are reave reviews on them, so that's why I chose them for my car. The adjustable ride dampening on the Illumina struts is good if you want a track feel one day, then a cushy ride the next, but I would find it unnecessary.

In regards to only the fronts being available, I say contact tmengineering. They are pretty good with customer service, and my guess is that the rears may be out for some reason, while the fronts are still in stock. Hope this helps.

James
Old 07-27-04, 04:11 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

IMO if you are on a budget like me then anything "adjustable" is too expensive.
Get the HP's
Old 07-27-04, 04:15 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by silkiechic
<... snip! ...>
Tried that but I think the information overloaded my mind
I can clone things but can't understand cars...
Hmmm, there was so much information it overloaded your mind, and yet you ask for still more?!?!?!?

Answering the same questions over and over again is what overloads the minds of the "oldies" here. I suggest if your query is generating too much info, you simply refine your query to be more specific. Everything you're asking has been asked and answered many times...
Old 07-29-04, 03:38 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up you have mail!

silkie, check your pm.