Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Why is bushings labor so much

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 10:03 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No press

I think I may wait until I get to Gainesville though to do everything. I wont need my car every day up there, so I can get the service manual for the car so I know what the hell I am doing, and take it apart and do it myself. I'll just take the control arms somewhere to get them pressed in.

And the springs and shocks...as much as these places in Palm Beach want to do them. I'll just do them myself.
Old 08-08-04, 10:20 AM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CleanSC
If you have a press, this is the easiest set of bushings to replace. Just press out the old ones, and press in the camber shells. The bushings and sleeves can then be installed by hand.

These are real easy. 20 minutes an arm max. You have to half-remove these to remove the shocks anyway so just take off the ball joint on the hub and they are free.
It's nice to hear that the installation isn't too bad for the camber kit. Unfortunately, I don't have any tools for the job. What should be the max price I should pay to have the camber kit installed. I don't want to get ripped off...
Old 08-09-04, 05:40 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh man that depends on so many things... Hourly rates, surprises that could be found, how quick the mechanic works...

It's a fairly simple job so it shouldn't take too long. My car was already in a million pieces but I'd estimate the front upper arms to take maybe 3 hours to remove, install bushings and replace. This sounds like a comfy working time. A mechanic familar with the car (or job) could do this in much less, I'd think.

Of course any unexpected problems can lenghten that. Stubborn bolts, a ball joint that wont give, etc etc. So it's just a suggestion, don't take it as gospel.
Old 08-20-04, 08:17 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually installed all of the Daizen bushings and front and rear camber kits without removing the ball joints and I didn't use a press. I left the ball joints attached and swung the arms around so I could work on them. The camber shells can be pressed in using a hammer, tapping lightly and in a circular motion around the rim of the shell. However, make sure you have it lined up the way you want it beforehand. Once it's part way in, you're not going to be able to get it back out easily.
I broke this chore up and performed the entire install over the course of a few weekends, as I performed work on other aspects of the car. For instance, I did the front camber kit while installing the springs and shocks since I had to swing the upper arms around anyway. Burning out the old bushings is the worst part of the job, but all-in-all the bushing install isn't that terrible of a task.