Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Rotor Removal (again)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-04, 07:36 AM
nick778
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rotor Removal (again)

I'm new to this forum but have read the previous posts on removing front/rear rotors on '95 sc400. My front are warped and I want to turn them first before kicking in for new ones. A couple of questions:

o Are the front rotors floating and only require removing the brake caliper or are they held on by the front wheel bearing and that must be removed to get the rotor off. If so, what is the correct preload and torque setting in putting them back on?

o I've done brake/rotor jobs many times before on Asian autos. Is there anything special here I need to know?

Thanks...Nick778
Old 08-07-04, 03:17 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

if you do a search you should be able to find a fairly good write up on how to do this.

But i'll just sum it up for you.

the fronts are relatively easy to take out you just need to take off the calipers and brackets. The rotor isnt held in by anything but rust. So a few bangs with your hammer should knock it loose. Or else you can just screw in some 8x1.25mm bolts into the holes.and that'll force it out.

the rear rotors are a bit tougher as thiers an extra step. you must release the brake shoes or the raers wont come off. you do this by releasing the parking brake then you turn one of the holes in the rotor in which you can see through to 6 o clock and then you must use a flat head screw driver and turn down this gear thats inside the hole at 6 o clock . its a bit tough to see through the hole so you might just have to go by feel if you dont got a light that can shine through the little hole. one you have turned the gear down several times till it cant go anymore your brake shoes should be disengaged and then you can go about getting it off using the same procedures as with the fronts(beat the crap out of it with a sledge hammer). after your done putting the new rear rotor on remember to turn the gear back up till its tight and back down a several knotches.

Last edited by siaxazn; 08-07-04 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 07:38 AM
nick778
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much.
Old 08-09-04, 11:10 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you get started make sure you have an impact or breaker bar for the Caplier bolts! I put new rotors on my 97 and it worked out great with a breaker bar, however, the rears were much more difficult because you don't have clearance for the breaker bar(you can't turn the wheels to gain clearance like you can the front).
BIGd
ps. after you get it down, the other front rotor will only take 30mins or so..
Old 08-10-04, 12:29 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

the impact gun doesnt really fit in there well i ended up stripping my caliper bracket bolts by using the impact gun at a slight angle on the bolts. I'd recommend using the breaker bar or a socket wrench with a pipe works great too.
Old 08-11-04, 07:47 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just amazed at how much trouble some of you guys have with your rear rotors, mine just popped right off without any kind of trouble

But the fronts are a piece of cake, you should be able to handle it.