Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

difference between trd and supra brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04 | 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: warning also....

Originally posted by gewe21
I might not be a reliable source for this, but.... it's worth considering.

If I remember correctly, the Supra TT setup fits the 17" stock GS wheels, or maybe with only little mods (thin spacer). I have an LS430 and those front caliper are huuuge and quite a royal pain in terms of rims fitment, or so I heard. Again, please reconfirm this.
nop, both the supra tt caliper and the ls430 calipers are about the same size and they both don't come close to fitting the stock wheels.
Old 08-12-04 | 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by pat14lee
any idea how much the monoblock setup is?
no idea, but you can talk to steve ganz of carson toyota, he has the best prices always
Old 08-12-04 | 07:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by gompka
Yikes those things are monsters.... what size rims are required for those to clear?
it has nothing to do with wheel size or widths. it's the disk type and offset and you need to make sure it's high disk with low enough of an offset in order to fit over the brakes
Old 08-12-04 | 07:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by HKGS300
At least 18"
nop, that's wrong. 17s will fit. even my ap racing with 13.5" rotors (bigger than the supra tt or the ls430 setup), if you find the right 17s wheels it will fit no problem. 14" rotor setup is the minimum size to require a 18" wheel to fit over it
Old 08-12-04 | 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

also keep in mind guys. the supra tt brakes is a direct swap on the GS. however the ls430 calipers do NOT fit directly over the GS. i am very sure about that coz' testing has been done before. they will NOT fit. you need special brackets to made, which brings up the question of quality, strength, heat, etc...
Old 08-13-04 | 08:55 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Jeez, Henry, on a roll aren't we???...... 5 replies in one shot. You could just consolidate them you know.....

Anyway, the DSR brackets are made using Nickel Cadmium alloy which is the same material used for race cars brackets. The strength of the material is very good and I have been very pleased so far with the quality. My DSR kit can be had for a shade unde US$2,000 I believe.

But, yes, Henry is right. You don't need 18s to fit them. What you need are lower offset (mine's +36) and a high disk setup and I have enough clearance to be comfortable and not rubbing at all. I believe even stock LS430 wheels are also only 17s?

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 08-13-04 | 11:51 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Jeez, Henry, on a roll aren't we???...... 5 replies in one shot. You could just consolidate them you know.....
I thought I was the only one who noticed.. No wonder he does about 50 posts a day..
Old 08-13-04 | 11:53 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Anyway, the DSR brackets are made using Nickel Cadmium alloy which is the same material used for race cars brackets. The strength of the material is very good and I have been very pleased so far with the quality. My DSR kit can be had for a shade unde US$2,000 I believe.

you can buy the brackets from this web site..
http://night-pager.com/
But they can be expensive..
and there is a good difference in weight between the Ls430 calipers and the TT set-up..
This web site has more info on this..
Old 08-13-04 | 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by johnee78
I thought I was the only one who noticed.. No wonder he does about 50 posts a day..
sorry but that's the fastest way for me to reply. i use modzilla and i can open up zillion of threads at the smae time, that's why i read and reply so fast.

umm.... ok, honestly, if the dsr setup goes for 2000, i think it's probably on the high side considering what you get
Old 08-14-04 | 01:40 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
also keep in mind guys. the supra tt brakes is a direct swap on the GS. however the ls430 calipers do NOT fit directly over the GS. i am very sure about that coz' testing has been done before. they will NOT fit. you need special brackets to made, which brings up the question of quality, strength, heat, etc...
True, there are MANY SupraTT owners who, even after upgrading turbos, fuel system etc. still have confidence enough in the stock SupraTT brakes to leave them on the car. IMO, Its the most cost effective, "bang for the buck" brake upgrade for the second gen GS. The ease of installation due to it being a direct swap was one of the major selling points for me.
Old 08-14-04 | 01:50 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tinygs
True, there are MANY SupraTT owners who, even after upgrading turbos, fuel system etc. still have confidence enough in the stock SupraTT brakes to leave them on the car. IMO, Its the most cost effective, "bang for the buck" brake upgrade for the second gen GS. The ease of installation due to it being a direct swap was one of the major selling points for me.
Agreed and it is also a direct bolt on for the first gen GS also..Front and back !!
Old 08-14-04 | 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by johnee78
Agreed and it is also a direct bolt on for the first gen GS also..Front and back !!
damnit, i hate the "back" part
Old 08-17-04 | 11:52 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Ow, you mean these baby???? My UCF30 (LS430 monoblock) conversion with DSR brackets cost me a pretty penny, but it's sure a nice upgrade from my old TRD setup. I think besides me, there's no one else who has gone from stock, to TRD (supra), to UCF30 (monoblock). The difference from each stage is quite significant. I highly recommend it.

If you are interested in the DSR monoblock kit, please pm HKGS300. Cheers!

do these stop better than the TRD and the TT setup ??? and with the caliper and the bracket what was the cost ???
Old 08-18-04 | 12:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by lexusondubs
do these stop better than the TRD and the TT setup ??? and with the caliper and the bracket what was the cost ???
those are the same as the trd monoblock. i say it should be about the same as the tt setup

those dsr, you should talk to steve ganz, he's the only one who can get you those stuff
Old 08-18-04 | 06:39 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusondubs
Supposedly they stop better than the TT set-up because they are one piece and have a larger brake pad surface..The brakes themselves are not that expensive , but the brackets are a little overpriced IMO..

Quick Reply: difference between trd and supra brake upgrade?