Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's 6 Link Brace Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 10:01 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tom's 6 Link Brace Kit

Finally got them installed. But it will be a few weeks before I can see what sort of improvement they made. As you can see, they are the special edition Tom's "Silver". Would have preferred the standard Tom's Red, but a 6-Link kit in the hand is worth more than one sitting in Japan.

The arrow points to where one of the links hits the exhaust pipes as they head into the muffler. Oh darn, looks like I need a new exhaust. Hmmmmm, Tom's or CarsonTuned?
Old 08-30-04, 01:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Tom's 6 Link Brace Kit

Originally posted by redgs4
Finally got them installed. But it will be a few weeks before I can see what sort of improvement they made. As you can see, they are the special edition Tom's "Silver". Would have preferred the standard Tom's Red, but a 6-Link kit in the hand is worth more than one sitting in Japan.

The arrow points to where one of the links hits the exhaust pipes as they head into the muffler. Oh darn, looks like I need a new exhaust. Hmmmmm, Tom's or CarsonTuned?
that's awesome! yeah i have the apexi, and i know if i get 6 link, i would be hitting pretty bad too. i have seen that on another gs with apexi before, not pretty, very not pretty....... so now i don't know what i should do

and what exhaust? imho, tom's hands down. you have all the tom's stuff (suspension ), so why not tom's exhaust right?
Old 08-30-04, 02:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is one problematic link. It hits my RMM on the bolt and not the link.
Old 08-30-04, 07:43 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Ahhhh, the heavy price we pay for handling.
Old 08-30-04, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
That is one problematic link. It hits my RMM on the bolt and not the link.
that sux, so we will all hit huh? i finally jam some rubber in this past weekend, my exhuast is quiet now
Old 08-31-04, 08:40 AM
supergs400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know how you feel, exact problem with the six link hitting the rear section pipe, I took it to the muffler shop and they welded a bracket and hanger to prevent the pipe from touching the link. May want to make sure that whatever exhaust system you get will fit before buying.
Old 08-31-04, 08:48 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by supergs400
Know how you feel, exact problem with the six link hitting the rear section pipe, I took it to the muffler shop and they welded a bracket and hanger to prevent the pipe from touching the link. May want to make sure that whatever exhaust system you get will fit before buying.
The Tom's exhaust will clear all the Tom's stuff for obvious reasons. And the CarsonTuned was modeled after the Tom's [different mufflers and tips] and should also clear all the Tom's bracing.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to get a new exhaust. My surgically enhanced Tanabe's have been fun but they are really loud. Hard to be sneaky with an exhaust that loud.
Old 08-31-04, 09:28 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

putting on the 6 links has help about 75% of the issues that i've discussed w/ you a few months back but i'm still not happy, it still has that slight uneasyness, maybe i need the front lower brace to help eliminate it, i don't know, anyways, exhaust heat shield between the pipe and the link helps eliminate the noise, it's funny, only the passenger side hits, the driver side clears perfectly. glad u finally got them on.
Old 08-31-04, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The Tom's exhaust will clear all the Tom's stuff for obvious reasons. And the CarsonTuned was modeled after the Tom's [different mufflers and tips] and should also clear all the Tom's bracing.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to get a new exhaust. My surgically enhanced Tanabe's have been fun but they are really loud. Hard to be sneaky with an exhaust that loud.
yeah, without the cats and stuff, your exhaust is definitely loud!

come on, just get the tom's! complete it, you know?
Old 08-31-04, 02:25 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

thats strange guys .. mine does not even come close to touching but then again i have the hks exaust
Old 08-31-04, 06:57 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexforlife
thats strange guys .. mine does not even come close to touching but then again i have the hks exaust
Everyone with the different brand of exhaust has had a different experience. With the Tanabe I hit both the Tom's closed rear brace [so I removed the resonators] and the pipes just as they curve into the muffler. I could probably just put a small crimp in the pipe and clear, but I'm looking for nicely polished tips and cans, now.
Old 08-31-04, 06:59 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GSing430
putting on the 6 links has help about 75% of the issues that i've discussed w/ you a few months back but i'm still not happy, it still has that slight uneasyness, maybe i need the front lower brace to help eliminate it, i don't know, anyways, exhaust heat shield between the pipe and the link helps eliminate the noise, it's funny, only the passenger side hits, the driver side clears perfectly. glad u finally got them on.
I drove the car to work today [surface streets only] and I have the trunk full of car parts that still need to be mounted, but the rear seems to be better planted. Can't wait for some higher speed runs.
Old 08-31-04, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Everyone with the different brand of exhaust has had a different experience. With the Tanabe I hit both the Tom's closed rear brace [so I removed the resonators] and the pipes just as they curve into the muffler. I could probably just put a small crimp in the pipe and clear, but I'm looking for nicely polished tips and cans, now.
red you spend crazy money on your car i can tell!

but yes, every exhaust is different, sometimes the piping only needs to be another couple mm off and you wont' hit anymore
Old 08-31-04, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I drove the car to work today [surface streets only] and I have the trunk full of car parts that still need to be mounted, but the rear seems to be better planted. Can't wait for some higher speed runs.
red, please keep us (me) posted how the 6 links behaves, both on performance and driving comfort. i am interested in seeing whether it degrades the ride comfort coz' now the rear suspension is really independent anymore
Old 08-31-04, 10:10 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did the kit run and did you install this yourself?

Quick Reply: Tom's 6 Link Brace Kit