Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Some hints for installing new springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 05:04 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some hints for installing new springs/shocks

Hey, last weekend, me and my friend spent a while installing my new Supra NA eibachs with Supra TT shocks. Ive learned a few things after doing this, and I could now prolly install new springs/shocks in about 3 hours.

-When doing the rears, DO NOT mess with sway bar end links, just unbolt the whole sway bar from the bar (much much much easier).

-You will also need another person to stand on the brake rotor/hub and bounce up and down a few times to remove/install the new shocks/springs.

-To line up the upper strut mounts correctly, position the upper "plate" so one of the screws lines up squarely with the shock bushing (you'll understand this once you start)

-You do not need air tools at all, trust me. Also, to compress the springs, go to Advance Auto parts and buy an "outside spring compressor" for $30, to do this job. You can also return it after the job is done

-For those you want LOW, go with the Supra suspension. I love my Supra eibachs and the TT shocks are nice too. Can you say "1/2 finger gap"?

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or PM

PS. Heres a teaser pic:

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 08-31-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 08:41 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for letting us know dude.....looks great~!!!
Old 08-31-04, 11:39 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you actually dont need to remove the sway bar. i got the rears out by using the long metal pole from my jack and prying the hub down. much more effective than having someone jump on it. the struts should come out with ease after you unbolt it. you can do the same for the fronts as well. The book mentions removing abs sensor and sway bar endlinks and calipers but i was able to get the struts out with out doing that using the long metal pole as leverage so i can manuever the struts out. you just have to be carefull when you pry down against the hub as you may damage the brake lines or the abs sensor.

also whats an "outside spring compressor"? Is it the traditional 2 clamps that you put on each side and use a socket wrench to turn it to compress one side at a time.

I tend to change alot of springs and shocks and even with air tools i find compressing springs to be a pain in the *** so if the $30 dollar "outside spring compressor" is different from the traditional one then i'd pick it up. Any job can be done with out air but it sure saved you alot of work and time.
Old 09-01-04, 04:03 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by siaxazn
also whats an "outside spring compressor"? Is it the traditional 2 clamps that you put on each side and use a socket wrench to turn it to compress one side at a time.
Haha yea, thats the one. Its not too bad to use, and you only have to use it when removing the old springs from the old shocks. When installing the new springs on the new shocks, you just have to line up the mount and press really hard.

Also, one more hint: When removing the front shock/springs, DO NOT unbolt the sway bar endlink attached to the lower shock mount. Although it may seem like you cant get the shock out, all you have to do is apply a small amount of force down on the hub. Then someone else can just pull the shocks out easily
Old 09-01-04, 09:25 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Also, one more hint: When removing the front shock/springs, DO NOT unbolt the sway bar endlink attached to the lower shock mount. Although it may seem like you cant get the shock out, all you have to do is apply a small amount of force down on the hub. Then someone else can just pull the shocks out easily
yeah i did it the same way.

btw Compressing the springs by hand will give you a big work out and add half an hour to an hour to the job.

also it will be very hard to remove the strut bolts and upper control arm bolt with out air you'll probably need a breaker bar and alot of liquid wrench. It can be done with out air as i've lowered many cars before i got my air compressor and I have to say its worth every penny and makes the job so much easier.